Any fishing villages left near BKK?

I vaguely recall being taken for a good seafood-meal, in some fishing-village near Si Racha, several years ago ? Perhaps someone in the Chonburi-area might be able to pin-down a likely location ?

Although it's probably long-since buried under illegal rubbish-dumps or besmeared with oil-slicks ? facepalm.gif

Edited by Ricardo

Funny how most of the suggestions have been on the wrong side of Pattaya or BKK. Between the two the main coastal towns are Si Racha and Bang Saen, Chonburi does the fishing but has no beach to speak of.

At Si Racha there is Koh Loi and Koh Sichang with a variety of clubs and restaurants. My preference is Bang Saen with its great long beach. It is a popular Thai seaside resort being the nearest to BKK on the Eastern seaboard and can get very busy at holiday times

If you really want the small fishing village scene, between Bang Saen and Chonburi is the village of Ang Sila, it has the small pier with fish market and many restaurants along the coast. It is very spread out with little accommodation. Best bet would be to stay in Bang Saen and get a motorbike or taxi.

Edited by sandyf

As said Ang Sila and also Bang Pra.

Yes there are small fishing villages but it is the most commercial industrial place in Thailand, it's moved on from the rest of Thailand.

Bang Saen except for the Swedish village and other small amount of ex pats in the housing estates is a Thai resort. Thai price (actullay Bang Saen street food is over priced restaurants are much better) , Thai seafood quality (As opposed to the over priced rubbish in the likes of Hua HIn for tourists and Bangkok Thais).

You might like the army place, a few tables on the beach off the Suk near Bang Pra. Setting is better than the food or you could try the restaurant on the beach at Casa Lunar estate.

There are seafood restaurants all along the coast line in Ang Sila, but I would recommend Mum Arroy in Sri Racha opposite Sametivit hospital, been going there almost 10 years now, you do get a few farangs there now, but it hasn't been Pattayafied like it's off shoot branches in Pattaya.

15 mins from pattaya you have bang saray...still no hotels on the beach..fishing boats everywhere..good food available and smiles all around...i have some new rooms for rent[ 0876163245 Ray] swimming pool and only 150 meters from the beach in the centre of the old village maybee you will look here and find what you want..good luck, most other places have already changed from the true thai style but not here

• Like 2

Bang PHu= crab village, on the old Sukhumvit rd between Cholburi and PakNam/MiniSiam. Only a little lively at weekends. If any accomm at all, it is some short-time stays with cutrains etc. Bored to death weekdays. Can watch planes bound for swampy.

Bg Saen is very much sooooo 1990/2540-ies.

Is it possible to have a real Thai place in Thailand? Yes, this is Thailand, so there are lots of Thai places. Why would anyone think that Thailand doesn't have Thai places? You need to get out and about more often.

Edited by davejones23

As I am new to Thailand, I was looking for suggestions to save my time - its what travellers do?

I am not a tourist. I would like to see authentic Thai places that have not been spoiled by concrete and/or bad planning.

So do you have any suggestions?

Have a look at the other kind suggestions.

And I have been told that Chiang Mai is now "too touristy"

and I should go to Chiang Rai to see the "Real" Thailand...

That's all I asked.

Is it possible to have a real Thai place in Thailand? Yes, this is Thailand, so there are lots of Thai places. Why would anyone think that Thailand doesn't have Thai places? You need to get out and about more often.

You have been given some excellent recommendations. To see if you think they are "authentic", you will need to visit them for yourelf. Imho, ban amphur is the most, with bang saray right there with it. You want really authentic fishing villages? You will need to get away from bangkok. I passed some really authentic ones on my current trip. South of Ranong, north of khao lak. Many south of hua hin. Village after village of them. You will need to speak thai...and down here, Southern Thai helps a bunch. 5555

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

By "Fishing village" we mean a term for more local
or looking like a place that is not glaring neon and ladybars.

A place that may be modernised. "Use to be a Fishing village" [Not long ago]

but still holds the character of authenticity or is natuarlly beautiful.

And as a westerner maybe a few bars that sell foreign beer,

and a little modern music- enjoyed by everyone.

Anyway - I have enough to go on - end of story

Thank you vey much.

You have been given some excellent recommendations. To see if you think they are "authentic", you will need to visit them for yourelf. Imho, ban amphur is the most, with bang saray right there with it. You want really authentic fishing villages? You will need to get away from bangkok. I passed some really authentic ones on my current trip. South of Ranong, north of khao lak. Many south of hua hin. Village after village of them. You will need to speak thai...and down here, Southern Thai helps a bunch. 5555

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As I am new to Thailand, I was looking for suggestions to save my time - its what travellers do?

I am not a tourist. I would like to see authentic Thai places that have not been spoiled by concrete and/or bad planning.

That's all I asked.

All of Thailand is real. Even the tourist places are real Thailand. What's your definition of 'too touristy'?

• Like 1

It you Fink Thailand is "Real"
You need to take a different pill!

How are the blisters on your hand?

That's all I asked.

All of Thailand is real. Even the tourist places are real Thailand. What's your definition of 'too touristy'?

15 mins from pattaya you have bang saray...still no hotels on the beach..fishing boats everywhere..good food available and smiles all around...i have some new rooms for rent[ 0876163245 Ray] swimming pool and only 150 meters from the beach in the centre of the old village maybee you will look here and find what you want..good luck, most other places have already changed from the true thai style but not here

Maroon Watcher.

After seeing your OP and as I was in Trat, I gave Ray a call and have just finished staying at his place for 3 days on my way back to Chiang Mai. Had a great time, Bang Saray is nice and sounds just what you are looking for. Ray, his wife and 2 kids are a lovely family and doubtlessly will make you feel more than welcome. I strongly suggest a visit, and coming from me it is high praise indeed as if you read any of my other posts I'm a sarcastic prick who has very little nice to say about anyone!!

Enjoy