Where to rent pick-up truck/driver for Songkran Water Fight

mangoman007

WATER FIGHT? Maybe you're thinking of some student activitiy on campus.

Songkran is NOT a water fight, tho it seems a number of folk come armed with buckets and large water guns to make it into a fight.

It's bad enough to have water fresh from the moats along with the micro-fauna it contains, thrown over you, or 9litre buckets of ice and water hurled at passing motor cyclists, but for goodness sake, remember that this is a ceremonial thing, and not what you're looking for.

Sure, we're all going to get wet, and that's part of the fun, but be reasonable!! wai2.gif

• Like 1

I seriously disagree with the prior two posts, it's only the foreigners that have turned Songkran into a water fight, the vast majority locals don't view it that way and oddly, neither do many foreigners..

• Like 2

I will be in CM with some students who want to rent a truck and driver for water fight

Cute / female ones?

If so then it might not take renting, just sharing of the costs for fuel and fixing any dents & scratches. wink.png

Also comes with a very Songkran-experienced driver. (Which means not getting stuck too much, and fewer kids falling out. :P )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Of course its a water fight don't be ridiculous,

Yes it may have had it roots in religion but at xmas you still don't buy your kids gold, frankincense and mhyrr do you

Things move on, you obviously dont

Maybe, if your name is Magi wink.png

I'm comfortable letting my statement remain as is, I would have been stunned if somebody somewhere couldn't find proof that there was a least one water fight taking place somewhere in Thailand, sixty or even a hundred years ago! But what's slightly harder to prove is how the scale of things have changed and the reasons for that. So whilst there may have been the odd water fight here and there fifty years ago, today the expectation is that everyone is involved in the same fight, regardless of the date, what they're wearing, where they're going and whether or not they're actively participating or not - a quick walk around the moat during Songkran confirms that it's farangs who come here on vacation are the ones who understand the Thai concept of Songkran least.

I'm comfortable letting my statement remain as is, I would have been stunned if somebody somewhere couldn't find proof that there was a least one water fight taking place somewhere in Thailand, sixty or even a hundred years ago! But what's slightly harder to prove is how the scale of things have changed and the reasons for that. So whilst there may have been the odd water fight here and there fifty years ago, today the expectation is that everyone is involved in the same fight, regardless of the date, what they're wearing, where they're going and whether or not they're actively participating or not - a quick walk around the moat during Songkran confirms that it's farangs who come here on vacation are the ones who understand the Thai concept of Songkran least.

Wonder which one will get the water with the 'Chinese special' in it? laugh.png

• Like 1

- a quick walk around the moat during Songkran confirms that it's farangs who come here on vacation are the ones who understand the Thai concept of Songkran least.

Here are a couple of snapshots of farangs not understanding Songkran that I took a few years ago.... I really like the concept of ceremonial Chang...

And inculcating the baby with the idea of just sprinkling a few drops of water onto passing shoulders from the lovely little silver bowl... It's really spiritual!

5f4i.jpg

And with an eye towards cooling off any bad spirits, these good-hearted farang set up cooling stations at each corner of the moat. God bless 'em!

00xj.jpg

• Like 2

I'm comfortable letting my statement remain as is, I would have been stunned if somebody somewhere couldn't find proof that there was a least one water fight taking place somewhere in Thailand, sixty or even a hundred years ago! But what's slightly harder to prove is how the scale of things have changed and the reasons for that. So whilst there may have been the odd water fight here and there fifty years ago, today the expectation is that everyone is involved in the same fight, regardless of the date, what they're wearing, where they're going and whether or not they're actively participating or not - a quick walk around the moat during confirms that it's farangs who come here on vacation are the ones who understand the Thai concept of Songkran least.

A quick walk around the moat at Songkran will have to be done during the night as there are to many people during the day. You should check it out. Plenty of Thais. I was in the cab nice and dry one year and it took 1/2 hour to drive from Tha Pae gate to Chiang Mai gate. It was mostly Thais. Around Tha Pae Gate it was mostly foreigners. Also the trucks and motor bikes were mostly Thai.

One year I spent it in a small village in Pichet I was the only foreigner on the street. to be fair there was only two Thais throwing water. They had a 50 gallon barrel of water I had a squirt gun. We came home and had to pass through two towns. One of them we had to pull off on a side road to let the engine cool down the traffic was so heavy the motor started over heating. Both towns were all Thai's.

To the OP you might want to try Northern Motors they are right on the out side of the East moat close to the North East corner. You can probably Google them. Not sure if they have trucks.

• Like 1

I don't know who started the "Water War" part, but I do know that there are way more farangs trying start fights than Thais. In general, the Thais just want to have fun. Too many Westerners are out to annoy as many other people as they can.

Every year there is a punch up or two over this and yes its always a falang involved.wink.png

• Like 2

^ Not always. In the tourist areas (Thapae / Loy Kroh) it's more likely, but keep in mind this is an event where a massive number of people get drunk at the same time and inevitably that will impact better judgement when it comes to behaving appropriately. That can and does lead to fights. (Not nearly as much as you'd expect anywhere in the world, but it does happen. ;) )