Best Full English Breakfast in Bangkok

KarlosInBKK

Maybe we should do a poll here:

"Should there be fried potato on a Full English?"

For me it's a "No", but entirely subjective really.

Ordinarily I'd say no but there is something nice about a pub type breakfast or cafe with chips on the plate

Also, I am a big fan of the hash brown and that's potato so I can be swayed :D

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today trying Det 5 on Soi 8....menu looks promising, see what the plate looks like soon. And certainly a better price!

post-41989-0-10757100-1400998959_thumb.j

Today trying Det 5 on Soi 8....menu looks promising, see what the plate looks like soon. And certainly a better price!

And here is the plate...this is the 129thb plate...better than many of then200+ been paying for to date.

Got a coffee refill and looks like I will be paying for that, bit of a knock but seems to be the norm here in LOS

post-41989-0-67916500-1401000131_thumb.j

And here is the plate...this is the 129thb plate...better than many of then200+ been paying for to date.

Got a coffee refill and looks like I will be paying for that, bit of a knock but seems to be the norm here in LOS

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

And....lovely service today...that is great as well....

I didn't even know Det 5 existed....guess I don't normally get that far along on Soi 8. Looks like a decent plate of food for 129 thb.

So the difference between the 190 thb plate and the 129 thb plate is one hash brown and two slices of tomato? For an extra 61 thb (nearly 50% more expensive)? Yikes.

Thanks for the update.

I didn't even know Det 5 existed....guess I don't normally get that far along on Soi 8. Looks like a decent plate of food for 129 thb.

So the difference between the 190 thb plate and the 129 thb plate is one hash brown and two slices of tomato? For an extra 61 thb (nearly 50% more expensive)? Yikes.

Thanks for the update.

It seems that is the only difference...which is hard to believe. I like the smaller choice given the cholesterol count is high and need to lose some pounds....still get the one a week bfast, and jot too much.

Soi 8.....full of surprises actually...just don't tell anyone ;)

Thanks for the update.

It seems that is the only difference...which is hard to believe. I like the smaller choice given the cholesterol count is high and need to lose some pounds....still get the one a week bfast, and jot too much.

Soi 8.....full of surprises actually...just don't tell anyone wink.png

Agree....its not to be talked about.

That breakfast looks awesome and good price! I wished it was on the menu from Black Canyon.

For me i don't need potato's with my breakfast but i would like to get more toast (will pay extra no problem).

Some of these places need to learn how to serve butter ... i.e. not a frozen little wrapped up block!

Cheers kuma, although that little one looks like it would bearly touch the sides wink.png

Ok understand the topic is bkk breakfast but here's another choice if in pattaya Taste of Thailand, on soi 13 about 30 M up from the beach on right side.175 thb for what is in the photo...nice extra is they serve with their own homemade monberry jam. Never heard of the berry, they say indigenous to here. Good taste, availabe in jars to take as well for jam fans

post-41989-0-03014300-1401604865_thumb.j

Ok so here's my latest field report. I went to The Queen Vic yesterday and had their Kings Breakfast. It was excellent! Cost 330 baht for 2 eggs, 2 sausage, 2 bacon, 2 hash browns, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, black pudding and two slices of toast. Oh, and a pot of tea. Photo below.

post-182050-0-04171600-1401616475_thumb.

Cheers kuma, although that little one looks like it would bearly touch the sides wink.png

Ok understand the topic is bkk breakfast but here's another choice if in pattaya Taste of Thailand, on soi 13 about 30 M up from the beach on right side.175 thb for what is in the photo...nice extra is they serve with their own homemade monberry jam. Never heard of the berry, they say indigenous to here. Good taste, availabe in jars to take as well for jam fans
the staff in the morning are a miserable bunch, evening staff are Fantastic...

Ok so here's my latest field report. I went to The Queen Vic yesterday and had their Kings Breakfast. It was excellent! Cost 330 baht for 2 eggs, 2 sausage, 2 bacon, 2 hash browns, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, black pudding and two slices of toast. Oh, and a pot of tea. Photo below.

A good sized plate of food to be sure. 330 thb is no bargain, though. Thanks for the food expedition report. cowboy.gif.pagespeed.ce.OqunRvp1aP.png

Anywhere do a good bubble n squeak?

The Victoria does a great bubble and squeak, served with cold pork loin and ham. It's by no means the nearest pub to me but I've even made a special trip there for it.

My vote is for Mulligan's on Soi 11. All the elements present and correct and all cooked just right - nothing overdone, underdone or greasy. Hanrahan's food is good generally but I agree with an earlier poster that the breakfast isn;t much good.

Anywhere do a good bubble n squeak?

The Victoria does a great bubble and squeak, served with cold pork loin and ham. It's by no means the nearest pub to me but I've even made a special trip there for it.

My vote is for Mulligan's on Soi 11. All the elements present and correct and all cooked just right - nothing overdone, underdone or greasy. Hanrahan's food is good generally but I agree with an earlier poster that the breakfast isn;t much good.

The Victoria??

• 2 weeks later...

For my Brit friends:

As you may be able to discern from the amount of posts I have on this thread, I love a good full English breakfast (well, apart from the black pudding - you can keep that and no offense intended, we all have different tastes.)

Does anyone know the origin of serving beans with breakfast in England? I enjoy the beans quite a bit and - in my country - beans are generally served as a side dish for a lunch or dinner, particularly at barbecues (yes, I'm American). Beans are rarely served at breakfast unless one is eating a Mexican style dish, in which case the beans are not of the "sweet" variety but are of the "refried" variety.

Anyone care to share the history of beans as a breakfast item in your country? Thanks! (And, btw, continued thanks to those that keep posting field reports on English breakfasts in Bangkok.)

That's funny because baked beans in the UK are not sweet really.

Very true. Anyway, found the answer to my own question, I think:

"The addition of beans to the full English breakfast seems to have occurred round about the same time that Heinz launched a famous 1967 TV advertising campaign ("Beanz Meanz Heinz"). Traditional English breakfast recipes before the 1960s include stuff like tomatoes (and kippers!) but not beans.

Heinz is an American company, but oddly enough its famous Baked Beans originated in the UK, where they are today regarded as part of the national culture. They are different from American beans, as the UK beans are mushier and less sweet.

Heinz was one of several American consumer goods companies that expanded into Britain in the 1920s, along with the likes of Kellogs, Hoover and other household names today. The first Heinz baked beans factory was opened in Britain in 1928. Baked beans were already a widespread and popular snack food by the 1950s. A second, even bigger factory was opened in Wigan in 1959.

Heinz supposedly launched its 1960s ad campaign after research showed that 1,750,000 British housewives bought Heinz baked beans everyday. So presumably plenty of people must already have been scoffing beans with breakfast by then.

But beans with a full English breakfast only seems to have become standard after the 1960s ad campaign, which is today acknowledged as one of the most successful advertising campaigns in history (In 2000 the slogan "Beanz Meanz Heinz" was voted the best ad slogan ever in the UK). One of the ads featured the following jingle:

You can't have stew for breakfast.

You can't have porridge for tea.

But we have Heinz beans at any time.

My brother John and me. "

My favorite english breakfast in Bkkattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1402838142.318853.jpg

Sent from my iPhone

Coupla things:

1. Looks like a pretty substantial breakfast. Most posters are listing the cost for the meal in their posts....what's the price?

2. Many of us have determined that you're the manager of The Game. While I don't necessarily have a problem with that - many businesses post on TV and push their products - the majority admit that in their posts. Full disclosure as a rule will generate more goodwill than concealing what could be considered as a partisan opinion. I've been to The Game several times and I like it...except for the prices. Your location and the rent that it commands is undoubtedly a contributing factor so why not just be up front about it? 'Sell' your quality, service, whatever.

Edited by Diplomatico

• 4 weeks later...

I can highly recommend The Kiwi Bar on soi 8

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Agreed. I'm trying to remember the price and I seem to recall it's a very reasonable 199 thb for eggs, sausage, bacon, beans, tomato, mushrooms, toast, and choice of juice/coffee and I like that they are open by 8:00 a.m. My only quibble with this one is that you get one butter and one jelly for two slices of toast and that the coffee is of the freeze dried instant variety but I think the latter is relatively pervasive across Bangkok.

• 2 weeks later...