Western Union

farang1979

I need to send some money using Western Union. If anyone has used them in Thailand, please could you let me know how I'd go about this. I have identified an agent at the recipient end, I guess what I need to know is what information will the agent at this (Thai) end need to know in order to send the money? Thanks :(

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

sign up for an online account with them... and do it at the convenience of your room.

no forms required...just a debit or credit card.

Recipient can recieve at any Western Union Office, Post Office, Many banks.

They just need photo ID...the transaction number, and the amount...also your name.

• Like 1

sign up for an online account with them... and do it at the convenience of your room.

They just need photo ID...the transaction number, and the amount...also your name.

Don't have a credit/debit card. Just cash. If I had a debit card I'd be using Paypal.

Go to Western Union. Fill out form listing recipient. Pay money. You will get a copy of transaction. With a MTCN number. SMS or email this number to the recipient. They then go to any WU in that country, give MTCN number and ID, pick up the cash with no cost their end.

They will give you a form to fill out.

Country where money is being sent.

Your name, address and phone number.

Name and address of the person you are sending it to.

In addition, they also need your photo ID, either a passport or 5 yr driving licence. They will take copies of whichever one you have and ask you to sign it

In addition, they need your photo id - either your passport or a 5yr driving licence! They will copy it and ask you to sign it!

In addition, they need your photo id - either your passport or a 5yr driving licence! They will copy it and ask you to sign it!

Thanks. What's the % like on sending money?

The Western Union site wasn't giving me the information I needed nor was it working on my phone. I'm looking for first hand accounts and info. Something which a website doesn't give.

Edited by farang1979

My two cents:

You may find that you can only receive money Into Thailand via Western Union.

That was the case several years ago when I tried to send to a friend outside the country however the policy may have changed

since then.

You may have better luck as the OP mentioned and set up an online account and send via your CC/Debit card.

mac

macster44, on 01 Apr 2014 - 09:31, said:

My two cents:

You may find that you can only receive money Into Thailand via Western Union.

That was the case several years ago when I tried to send to a friend outside the country however the policy may have changed

since then.

You may have better luck as the OP mentioned and set up an online account and send via your CC/Debit card.

mac

no there are many western union office`s were you can only receive money

but also were you can do both

700 usd cost me 60 usd to send

Don't have a credit/debit card. Just cash. If I had a debit card I'd be using Paypal.

Take a look at XE Trading Currency. No debit/credit card...just a Bank Account they debit in your country. You buy Thai Baht and lock in a rate....but then takes 7-10 days to show up in an account here. That means planning ahead.

700 usd cost me 60 usd to send

Not really....unless you are doing it in person and not online. There are several options available for lower prices..such as sending to a Bank Acct, and/or waiting 3 days. You paid the full rate.

XE can send a large amount for total of 21 usd. I do 3000 usd at a time.

Slippery, want to send THB to the UK. Do you need a bank account here to do that with XE or just in recipient country? Also do XE have agents like WU?

XE http://www.xe.com/xetrade/

I believe if you check the website, you can convert any currency and send from one bank account to another. Say ...Bank of Bangkok to an Account in the UK. I never sent money from Thailand to the USA....I send USA to Thailand only.

Western Union..

If you have an account in the UK, you just select UK on the online website and send it anywhere in the world.,..even UK.

When I send WU to my son in the Philippines, I just go to their online site and select USA as my home country (I live in Thailand). I then use my debit card and select USD and he picks it up at any WU Office. I send 400 usd for 5 dollars ....if I select 3 day wait.

Slippery, want to send THB to the UK. Do you need a bank account here to do that with XE or just in recipient country? Also do XE have agents like WU?

XE http://www.xe.com/xetrade/

I believe if you check the website, you can convert any currency and send from one bank account to another. Say ...Bank of Bangkok to an Account in the UK. I never sent money from Thailand to the USA....I send USA to Thailand only.

Western Union..

If you have an account in the UK, you just select UK on the online website and send it anywhere in the world.,..even UK.

When I send WU to my son in the Philippines, I just go to their online site and select USA as my home country (I live in Thailand). I then use my debit card and select USD and he picks it up at any WU Office. I send 400 usd for 5 dollars ....if I select 3 day wait.

Ah ok interesting so it's potentially cheaper if you opt to do it over a slightly longer period with WU?? My problem right now is I only have cash and no bank account as yet. So a debit card scenario is out of the equation for now. Just cold hard cash.

• 3 months later...

I'm sure this road has been traveled many times, but since this is an open topic, hopefully it wont result in flames, but would anyone care to give a quick comparison /review between W.U. Paypal and Xe.com? I am needing to send substantial amounts from Canada to Thailand for Rent, School, Mortgage, Autos possible investments etc,,,,