Where to volunteer?

Hi,

I want to relocate to Thailand, but finding a job remotely is impossible. I thought I may volunteer, and while I'm there I can look for a job.

I heard once that volunteer in some company is also possible.

What would you advise? Do you know any particular good place?

I'm not interested in those places where one has to pay for volunteering, like those that widely promoted in the Internet.

Thanks

Sent from my G2S using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Please be aware that any kind of work, including unpaid volunteer work, requires a work permit. This means any organization with whom you would be working would need to be qualified and willing to sponsor you for that.

In my experience, you would need to bring serious qualifications and convince them that you would be working with them for a certain amount of time, to make it worth their time and effort. You don't mention anything about your background, so I can't begin to guess where you might fit.

Please be aware that any kind of work, including unpaid volunteer work, requires a work permit. This means any organization with whom you would be working would need to be qualified and willing to sponsor you for that.

In my experience, you would need to bring serious qualifications and convince them that you would be working with them for a certain amount of time, to make it worth their time and effort. You don't mention anything about your background, so I can't begin to guess where you might fit.

Yes, I'm aware of the work permit issue.

My background is financials/ IT.

Yup; only country I know of which requires you to pay to volunteer.

Less wealthy countries are happy to take volunteers to assist in anything from Engineerng to English.

Last time I checked it out, it cost more than $600 to volunteer to shovel elephant scats.

• Like 1

Less wealthy countries are happy to take volunteers to assist in anything from Engineerng to English.

Last time I checked it out, it cost more than $600 to volunteer to shovel elephant scats.

Which just goes to show either how clever Thais are, or how dumb tourists are, LOL.

Some convents that take care of children like to get English speaking volunteers to teach English to the children, or anything that might be beneficial to them, I'm not sure but I think I recall seeing a column in the classifieds of either the Baht Sold or Craigslist titled "Volunteers". They have a column here in TV for sure.

Edited by dotpoom

There are charities that provide work permits and volunteering is free......companies that arrange volunteer programmes charge, this isnt unique to Thailand but a worldwide con

Whilst living in Chiang Mai, I worked in two different orphanages and a dog shelter. I didn't have a work permit but there is more chance of getting hit by a speeding tuk tuk. Approach the organisations directly, otherwise you will have to pay for the privilege.

• Like 1

Whilst living in Chiang Mai, I worked in two different orphanages and a dog shelter. I didn't have a work permit but there is more chance of getting hit by a speeding tuk tuk. Approach the organisations directly, otherwise you will have to pay for the privilege.

And how did you pay for accommodation and food? From your own money?

Where you looking for a job while volunteering?

Sent from my G2S using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I did volunteer work in an orphanage, cost me Bht 300 day for food (vegetarian) and accommodation. The kids were wonderful and no one ever asked me for a work permit. I think that this angle is a bit overplayed, but i can understand the work permit thing when one volunteers with a company which charge big money.

Try Baan Dada Orphanage (google it) in Khanchanaburi province up near Three Pagoda Pass on the Thai/Burma border.

• Like 1

The only thing i can think of at tha moment is serach other threads, other forums, google or decide how you want to help and find a way to do it yourself.

Sorry I don't know much about it.

How would you most like or want to help others and the community?

I Think bangkok is the best place in thailand for most everything except fresh air and nature.