Safe way to Remove Childish-looking Truck Bed Decals

tkramer

I find the decals on the rear quarter panels of most pickup trucks (announcing Pre-Runner, Hi-Lander, 4x4, etc.) to look like they were designed for/and by 12 year old Japanese boys. I do not feel I have to have one more anncouncement to the world about the details of my truck, somewhere on the body.

As I know these were installed by the factory, I would like to just 'peel' the things off and throw them away. However, I also do not want to damage any of the paint or surface underneath.

Has anybody 'safely' removed these unsightly pieces of verbage...?

Warming them up with a hairdryer helps soften the adhesive so they come off with no damage, if the sticker hasn't been affected too badly by UV they come off ok, pulling it back against itself helps avoid paint peel, don't pull them at 90 degrees.

• Like 1

Warming them up with a hairdryer helps soften the adhesive so they come off with no damage, if the sticker hasn't been affected too badly by UV they come off ok, pulling it back against itself helps avoid paint peel, don't pull them at 90 degrees.

Yep, noooooooo problem but don't get it too hot to disturb the paint., then use WD40 or Sonax to get the glue off, then wax the area..........smile.png

Unusual question. Remove Them , the more Turbo, 4x4 Wildcat and Hi Rider stickers the more the Hoons love them. Plus Weak Oversize rims , naturally. Good For You.clap2.gif

I put a Toyota 4x4 sticker on the rear of the truck. The Prerunner boys don't like it.

"They don't like it up 'em Mr.Manwaring"...........laugh.png

I have a few on mine- came that way. 4x4... and a silly one Eco Power 5at.... Nissan should pay me for advertising.

Good tip about the blow dryer, might give it whirl - knowing my luck one side will come off easy and the other will come apart in pieces giving me all kinds of brain damage.

• Like 2

"Unusual question. Remove Them , the more Turbo, 4x4 Wildcat and Hi Rider stickers the more the Hoons love them."

'Hoons'...!

Jeremy...is that you...?

Seriously, looks so much better now. Very nice clean look, lower profile and more discretion, even though it is the top of the line 4x4.

Edited by tkramer

How about 'rubbing alcohol'...I hate the smell of petrol.

WD40 will remove both the adhesive afterwards & also soften the adhesive holding in it place if you soak around the edges thoroughly before attempting to remove with the hair dryer. Solves both problems, no damage.

• Like 2

Had the boys at the local car wash remove mine, stickers, badges the lot. No bling, fake roll bars, bull bars and those stupid side step things on my Vigo.

Just a plain truck, well I did have 225 hp stenciled on the tailgate. Just to let Somchai in his Tuna at the lights know.ph34r.png.pagespeed.ce.GOH20nhrx_.png

Had the boys at the local car wash remove mine, stickers, badges the lot. No bling, fake roll bars, bull bars and those stupid side step things on my Vigo.

Just a plain truck, well I did have 225 hp stenciled on the tailgate. Just to let Somchai in his Tuna at the lights know.ph34r.png.pagespeed.ce.GOH20nhrx_.png

you must have one of those V8 powered vigos transam was on about yesterday ;)

How about 'rubbing alcohol'...I hate the smell of petrol.

WD40 will remove both the adhesive afterwards & also soften the adhesive holding in it place if you soak around the edges thoroughly before attempting to remove with the hair dryer. Solves both problems, no damage.

White spirit or Terpentine will also do the job. Rubbing alcohol is ueseless.

Costly removal - these 'tar n bug' n 'sealants' cost $$, and when are you really going to need them again?

Try vegetable oil...it works w/o degrading your finish or the environment. Mind you WD40 is a must-have household item that works well in most situations, [darn] the eco-tists.

Edited by ataloss

Costly removal - these 'tar n bug' n 'sealants' cost $$, and when are you really going to need them again?

Try vegetable oil...it works w/o degrading your finish or the environment. Mind you WD40 is a must-have household item that works well in most situations, [darn] the eco-tists.

That's why I recommend WD40, always need a can around the house for endless tasks and won't harm the finish, not sure how much harm 1 can will do to the environment either..

Edited by WarpSpeed