Applying for UK Spouse visa

Well, we're 1 hour into the application process and the laptop is lucky not to have gone out of the window. Half the links I've clicked don't seem to work, and once we finally registered an account on Visa4UK and started filling in the application we're hitting problem after problem.

So on page 1 you confirm your name, date of birth, passport number etc and it asks when you wish to travel, but it'll only allow you to choose a date within 90 days (up to June 30th). That's right for visit visas as you can only apply no more than 3 months in advance, but it then goes on to ask what type of visa you're applying for which in our case is a settlement visa, and as they typically take 90 days to be approved we're not going to have travelled in that time so we wanted to put a more realistic date in July.

On the next page it asks for the passport "Issuing Authority as stated in the passport or travel document" which is "Ministry of Foreign Affairs", only that's too long so you can't give the requested answer "as stated in the passport" so we've had to go with MoFA and hope someone has the brains to know what that is. On the same page it asks for some travel information including "Date of planned arrival in the UK" which this time lets you enter any date (so what's the point of putting a date on the start page?). It also asks "How long do you intend to stay in the UK?" which again appears to ignore the fact that we selected a settlement visa so we put "Indefinite". A decent form wouldn't ask this question because of the type of visa selected.

On to page 3 and it asks if she's had a visa in the last 10 years. As it happens yes, she had a category "C - VISIT" visa last year. That's fine, except the last question asks for the issuing authority with the guidance notes "What authority issued your visa i.e. British Embassy, High Commission, Consulate". There's no issuing authority indicated on the visa, and as far as I'm aware the British Embassy or Consulate don't get involved in visas so that's not very helpful. Anyone know what we need to put here?

Looks like we'll have to revisit the form another day because I've got a headache from it.

Edited by GarryUK

Tried to carry on and it doesn't get any better.

In the Sponsor Details section we put myself as the sponsor but where it asks "Where is your sponsor now?" do we put Thailand or UK? I'm here on holiday while she's completing the application, but by the time it reaches processing I'll be back in the UK. And for some crazy reason I've had to select Other Relative in answer to the question "What is their relationship to you?" as Husband/Wife are the only two possibilities missing from the list. Finally in this section it asks "Will your sponsor be travelling with you to the UK?", but I'm not sure. The question is mandatory so I have to answer but right now I don't know - she'd like me to so I can help with the baby and her luggage, but I'm hoping not to need to because of the cost.

Where we're unsure what to put could you please offer your recommendations. This'll be expensive if we don't get it right first time.

This notice appears on the opening page of Visa4UK

"BETA: This is the new UK visa application website. We are testing it. It is designed to make the application process simpler and clearer. "
From your experience it would seem there are more than a few "bugs" in the system !
I have no idea how these problems can be overcome but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

I have just completed our settlement visa application. Like you some questions were not clear.

I emailed the Embassy asking

‘Have I used the incorrect online form for settlement as ‘wife’’

This is the reply

We are unable to access your wife application unless she has submitted the application in person.

To address your concern regarding VFS staff, I would like to assure you that we are working closely with VFS to ensure that the service they provide is professional and that they accept application in the category which an applicant wishes to submit. However, they may advise the applicant whether they would like to pursue this type of application if they noticed that the applicant completed incorrect application form. It is up to the applicant to decide if they intend to submit incorrect application form.

As previously stated that you can make the necessary corrections on the form and countersign it so we will be aware of the corrections.

End reply

I have printed out the hardcopy and amended

Question 82

What is their relationship to you? Husband

The drop down box does not include Husband.

"Where is your sponsor now?" I put Thailand but stated in a covering letter that I will be in the UK from May.

My wife has an appointment at VFS on 4 April.

I will update to say if our application was accepted.

I have just completed our settlement visa application. Like you some questions were not clear.

My wife has an appointment at VFS on 4 April.

I will update to say if our application was accepted.

Well I'm glad it's not just me being stupid, looks like you have exactly the same issues. I have an additional problem in that she went to the doctors whilst in the UK (cost me £80-odd for him to diagnose a sore throat, but we feared tonsillitis so better safe than sorry), only I can't remember the date she went or the exact cost, and I doubt if I phone the doctors in the UK that they'll give me that info. Hopefully if I pass them to the wife they will tell us. After she got pregnant we got a National Insurance Number and saw the midwife once (didn't pay for that though). It asks this stuff and the dates between which she received "treatment" are mandatory.

I've another question for the more knowledgeable members regarding supporting documentation as I'm not sure if it's aimed at settlement visas or relevant in our case. It states that "If you do not meet the financial requirement then you may wish to provide some of the following documents to help to show your sponsors circumstances in the UK":

> Evidence of sponsors current employment (included letter, wage slips, P60 and bank statements for the financial requirements section)

> Evidence of your sponsor's immigration status (Can include a copy of my passport complete with visa stamps for 5 visits to Thailand)

>Evidence of your relationship to your sponsor and any contact between you, which could include:

> Birth certificate

> Marriage certificate (already included with translation)

> Death or divorce certificate (not applicable)

> Photographs of your wedding or other time spent together (I have the photos from the visit visa application which cover meeting in Oct 2012 through UK visit to marriage Oct 2013 - include or not? Update to include current visit to meet new baby?)

> Phone records (have phone records and chat logs from visit visa application but only to May 2013, could possibly update?)

> Emails, letters or cards

Well I more than cover the financial requirement, and baring in mind we proved the relationship was genuine in order to get the general visitor visa last summer, and we've since got married (documents included in the application), do we need to further evidence the relationship?

Any more advice greatly appreciated as we hope to submit her application tonight.

Update:

My wife had an appointment at 11:40 4 April. The application was accepted so we had completed the correct online form 'wife'.

VFS returned my previous passport (kept copies) and returned my original property deeds.

For information:

Appointment at 11:40

55 people still to be seen before my wife, ranged from 7 to 3 staff in attendance (lunch) etc.

Left VFS at 14:30.

I wouldn't waste your time and possibly £850 by trying to do the application yourself. Far better to do what I and many others have done, contact Thai Visa Express who will do all the work for you and make sure everything is done correctly before the application is submitted. Pay their fee and you will only have to pay the Embassy fee once. Do it yourself and you risk refusals and further application fees at £850 a time. I know many people say 'do it yourself'...............but personally, with something as important as a settlement visa I wanted to be sure the application was 100% correct. Our settlement visa was granted after only 8 weeks.

• Like 1

Well the application was done online and has been printed, the appointment made and paid for, so now just a little advice on completing APPENDIX 2 (VAF 4A DECEMBER 2013) FINANCIAL REQUIREMENT FORM.

In 1.27 it asks "Does your sponsor have any children?" so I've put YES as we've just had a baby together, then in 1.28 it asks "Is your sponsor responsible for supporting anyone financially, including any children listed above?" to which I've listed the wife and child and put how much I plan to send her monthly until the visa is approved. That seems logical right?

The one I'm least sure about is 2.4 where it asks "Is you sponsor in receipt of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Benefit?". Well I'm not on any benefits, but I currently get 25% discount on my council tax for single occupancy (which of course will cease when the wife arrives to live), so is the answer YES?

Section 3A seems straightforward then as far as I can tell I skip all the way to Part 5 as salaried employment in the UK is my only source of income.

And one final question relating to the main form. We had to detail her general visit visa application rejection prior to her being granted a visa on our re-application. I've listed the reference number so is there any need to include a copy of the refusal notice?

Cheers all. Garry.

The one I'm least sure about is 2.4 where it asks "Is you sponsor in receipt of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Benefit?". Well I'm not on any benefits, but I currently get 25% discount on my council tax for single occupancy (which of course will cease when the wife arrives to live), so is the answer YES? You would answer NO as you are getting a reduction because of you being the only person living at the property you are not getting housing benefit or council tax benefit you are getting what many people get which is not means tested.

• Like 1

You do not need to include a copy of her previous refusal notice; it will be on record if the ECO wants to see it.

Which is unlikely as not only has she had a successful visit visa application since, but she is now applying for settlement so the criteria are different.

• Like 1

The one I'm least sure about is 2.4 where it asks "Is you sponsor in receipt of Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Benefit?". Well I'm not on any benefits, but I currently get 25% discount on my council tax for single occupancy (which of course will cease when the wife arrives to live), so is the answer YES?

You would answer NO as you are getting a reduction because of you being the only person living at the property you are not getting housing benefit or council tax benefit you are getting what many people get which is not means tested.

Makes sense but wasn't sure, so I'll go will NO.

Well back to Bangkok tomorrow for the appointment on Wednesday. Let's just hope Rob180 is wrong and that it's perfectly possible to go through the settlement visa process without using an agent. We'll soon see...

• Like 1

Well back to Bangkok tomorrow for the appointment on Wednesday. Let's just hope Rob180 is wrong and that it's perfectly possible to go through the settlement visa process without using an agent. We'll soon see...

Good luck mate

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi Garry, I didn't actually say you or anyone else shouldn't attempt to do it yourself. It was just my own decision that with something so important I personally preferred to put the application in the hands of someone whom I knew would do the job 100% right. That took all the worry out of it for me and my wife and for us it was money well spent. Good luck with your application anyway.

Edited by Rob180

Good luck Garry.

Like you, i did my own applications for my wife, But i would not have managed without the forum, Now i am enjoying life without the stress of Visa applications.

Enjoy Thailand

Hi Garry, I didn't actually say you or anyone else shouldn't attempt to do it yourself. It was just my own decision that with something so important I personally preferred to put the application in the hands of someone whom I knew would do the job 100% right. That took all the worry out of it for me and my wife and for us it was money well spent. Good luck with your application anyway.

Thanks.

I have got the Full house, All with valuable information off this site, Holiday visa, Spouse Visa, Settlements Visa, British citizenship, British passport. and all without a Visa Agent. Just listen or read when people give you information especially 7by7, they know there stuff, and get little by the way of thanks,

Hi Garry, I know you may have already submitted the application, but if not if there's anything else I can help with regarding what you need to submit etc let me know.

I know you mentioned having a visitor visa and being married already last year, but they will still want evidence that the relationship now is 'genuine and subsisting' which means you should submit as much recent evidence as possible (as well as your older stuff)............ie phone/skype records, money transfer receipts, photos of you both together etc.

cheers

Edited by Rob180

I wouldn't waste your time and possibly £850 by trying to do the application yourself. Far better to do what I and many others have done, contact Thai Visa Express who will do all the work for you and make sure everything is done correctly before the application is submitted. Pay their fee and you will only have to pay the Embassy fee once. Do it yourself and you risk refusals and further application fees at £850 a time. I know many people say 'do it yourself'...............but personally, with something as important as a settlement visa I wanted to be sure the application was 100% correct. Our settlement visa was granted after only 8 weeks.

Congratulations on having your visa completed in 8 weeks. Please can you tell me what the embassy fee is? I want to return home to the UK and take my Thai hubby with me, but i can't get any information from anywhere, getting very frustrated.

The current settlement visa fee is £885. For some reason UKVI will only take payment in USD, using their exchange rate; so you will probably end up paying more than this.

For more information on the requirements, see UK Settlement Visa Basics.

If you have any further questions, I suggest that you start your own topic as they could get lost in this one.

The current settlement visa fee is £885. For some reason UKVI will only take payment in USD, using their exchange rate; so you will probably end up paying more than this.

If you have any further questions, I suggest that you start your own topic as they could get lost in this one.

Thank you

The guide to supporting docs under the section "Information about your sponsor in the UK" states that:

If you are completing Appendix 2 then you will need to demonstrate that you meet the 'Financial Requirement'. You need to read the Immigration Rules at Appendix FM-SE to see which documents you are required to submit.

If you do not need to meet the 'Financial Requirement' then you may wish to provide some of the following documents to help show your sponsors circumstances in the UK.

Evidence of your relationship to your sponsor and any contact between you:

> Birth certificate

> Marriage certificate (already included with translation)

> Death or divorce certificate (not applicable)

> Photographs of your wedding or other time spent together

> Phone records

> Emails, letters or cards

Based on both this and having re-read Appendix FM-SE it does not appear that this information is necessary. However, following Rob180's comment I found myself adding a covering letter last minute indicating that I was including our baby's birth certificate, a copy of my passport visa stamp pages showing my visits to Thailand, and a few pages of photos from when we met up to our wedding in October, and that I hoped these in addition to our marriage certificate already included would show a genuine and ongoing relationship. I also mentioned that since switching to the Skype app on the smartphones we treated ourselves to when we got married there's a bug that results in video calls not being logged (it logs all the chat and missed calls, but not successful calls), and that I am therefore unable to provide up-to-date logs showing our twice daily chats whilst apart.

Hopefully I've read all the available guidance correctly and that this information isn't necessary for our settlement visa application, otherwise we could end up having to reapply. In the meantime I now try to use Skype on my laptop whenever possible as this does correctly log our calls.

Fingers crossed as we've gone past the point of no return and everything has now been submitted. Will post again when we get a decision.

Lovely message

As I said by some miraculous process my wife's visa arrived almost by return! Not so my step daughter's

Have now had this charming message:

Subject:

UK Visas and Immigration have made a decision on your visa application

ALL APPLICANTS: if you paid an additional courier or postage fee documents will be sent to you

THAILAND APPLICANTS: documents can be collected from VFS after 2 working days, collection times: Mon-Fri 1000 to 1600, Sat 0830 to 1200.

This is an automated message - please do not respond as we will not reply.

Please visit our website for information about how to contact us: https://www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-outside-uk

What decision? What documents? Passport? Visa?

Anyway it is New Year

I should doubt anything will arrive unless they sent it EMS this a.m

Clearly incompetent!!

It cost me 1447 USD (864 GBP) when I paid last week, whereas today it says it would cost me 1505 USD (899 GBP) if I were applying this week. GBP values taken from Google, we'll see what it actually cost me when I get my credit card bill.

laolover88,

All VFS know is that the passport and supporting documents have been returned to them from the embassy for forwarding/collection by the applicant; depending on the option chosen when submitting the application.

UKVI treat application results as confidential, so these come in sealed packages which VFS are not allowed to open; they don't know whether or not the application was successful.

Unfortunately, the only way for you to find out is wait until you have the passport which will, hopefully, contain a visa.

• 3 weeks later...

The wife got her passport back today and she has indeed been granted a visa to come to the UK, so as soon as we have our daughter's passport I'll be getting her on a plane. We have hit one snag which we couldn't have foreseen - when asked what date she wished to travel we used common sense and thought that as visa approvals are taking 3+ months there was no point putting a date sooner than that, so we put 2nd July, and that's when the visa is valid from meaning she's got to wait a month more than she needed to. Going forward my advice to anyone applying would be to put the day after the date of application for the proposed date of travel unless of course you wish to intentionally delay the start of the visa to travel on a particular future date for any reason.

Absolutely chuffed to bits, especially as up until the last few days the processing times for settlement visas given by UKBA (based on January 2014 figures) were showing 0% approvals at 40 days whereas now (based on March 2014 figures) they're showing 3% in as few as 3 days and almost half within 3 weeks (15 days, but as that's working days it's 3 weeks) so they seem to have their act together right now.

Thank you to everyone that offered advice getting me to this point.

Garry and Dear.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...