Applying for UK Spouse visa

A couple more questions if I may;

We have 2 children both born in Bangkok and have a UK registration and passports. For "Dependant Children" is their nationality "British Citizen", "British National Overseas" or "British Overseas Citizen"?

We've travelled to the UK 3 times before and on one of those times we discovered we were pregnant and went to a hospital in the UK for a scan. The hospital sent the £500 bill to me and I paid for it. Is this classed as "receiving medical treatment in the UK" and should I put it on the application?

I'm going to make a whole post about "employment and income" since they have made this much more complicated compared to before!

Obviously I am going to fund the entire trip and I deposit money into my partner's bank every month to cover our living expenses in Thailand.

1. She owns land and a house in Thailand but she gets no monthly income from any of these. Do I list each of them in the income field and put zero as the monthly income? Or do I not put them at all?

2. "What is the cost to you personally of your trip in GBP(£)?" I've always entered zero for this in the past.

3. "The total amount of money you have for this trip" - she has no savings for this trip as I am paying for it all, but in this field do we put the amount that I am planning to spend or zero?

4. "The cost of plane tickets, accommodation, living expenses" - again this will be of no cost to her, so do we put how much I will spend on this or zero?

TIA.

This is a topic about settlement, you seem to be asking about visiting. However:-

If the previous visa(s) were issued in Bangkok, put British Embassy, Bangkok. British consulates don't issue visas and High Commissions are what Commonwealth country embassies are called in other Commonwealth countries.

If your children have British passports then they are most likely British citizens, but check in their passports which will say; though if they have dual nationality you should put both, e.g. Thai/British.

The medical treatment is really about NHS treatment, but you received private care. However, I'd put it anyway. Better to put something they don't want than miss something they do.

Your other questions:-

1) This should be mentioned in your sponsor's letter as it's a reason to return. However, if she receives no income from the land then don't put it in the 'Income' section.

2, 3 & 4) I have always put 'zero' for these and then clarified it in my sponsor's letter, saying that I am paying for everything with an estimate of each..

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A few comments on the OP and other issues/questions re the application.

- I typed 'Min Foreign Affairs' in the (limited character space) relevant box.

- The question "What is their relationship to you?" in the sponsor section does not have an option to put 'Spouse' or similar so I opted for 'Other relative'. Strange not to be offered what must be the most common situation. Any comments?

- There was an ambiguous question about 'voluntarily electing to leave the UK' to which I responded "No" assuming that they were referring to candidates who had overstayed or had been threatened with deportation. On the other hand, my wife had visited the UK previously and had voluntarily left when she returned to Thailand at the end of her stay. A cryptic question to which I'm not sure I've answered correctly!

- OP talks about travel dates being within 3 months. I've just submitted "5th November 2014" as the intended date and that is >3months and has been accepted so maybe they've made some changes to their website. I any case I'm assuming that the visa, if granted, would then be valid from 4th/5th November so one would need to be sure that one wasn't perhaps wanting to travel before that date. Correct?

- My wife does not know her father's date of birth so I entered 1st Jan 1900, as per a previous Visitor Visa application. Again, cryptic and unsure whether I've answered correctly.

Any suggestions appreciated. 

A few comments on the OP and other issues/questions re the application.

- I typed 'Min Foreign Affairs' in the (limited character space) relevant box.

- The question "What is their relationship to you?" in the sponsor section does not have an option to put 'Spouse' or similar so I opted for 'Other relative'. Strange not to be offered what must be the most common situation. Any comments?

- There was an ambiguous question about 'voluntarily electing to leave the UK' to which I responded "No" assuming that they were referring to candidates who had overstayed or had been threatened with deportation. On the other hand, my wife had visited the UK previously and had voluntarily left when she returned to Thailand at the end of her stay. A cryptic question to which I'm not sure I've answered correctly!

- OP talks about travel dates being within 3 months. I've just submitted "5th November 2014" as the intended date and that is >3months and has been accepted so maybe they've made some changes to their website. I any case I'm assuming that the visa, if granted, would then be valid from 4th/5th November so one would need to be sure that one wasn't perhaps wanting to travel before that date. Correct?

- My wife does not know her father's date of birth so I entered 1st Jan 1900, as per a previous Visitor Visa application. Again, cryptic and unsure whether I've answered correctly.

Any suggestions appreciated. 

No help, but maybe a little reassurance. I agree with all your assumptions bar the date of birth which I've no idea about - did you explain in the "other information" bit that you'd put that date because you weren't sure of the proper date, though I would wonder why you couldn't make a simple phone call to ask someone. I'm sure many people will reply along the lines that a visa starts from the date of issue, or up to 3 months after if specified at the time of application, but it can't start any later than that. However, even if you'd asked for a date 4 months on I'd hope they'd have the sense to start it 3 months on as it would still be fine to use (you have 3 months in which to travel to the UK in order to spend 30 months here).

Thanks Garry. It might be a simple phone call but to the respondent it would be an unanswerable question because, as you will be aware, many Thais don't bother with such exactness as dates of birth. To a nation that invariably needs to gets a calculator out to work out simple subtraction, do you imagine they would always know their parents' dates of birth? Mother knows hers but Father? Well he's long gone I'm afraid.

I sent a message to your inbox Garry and also posted a question on Thailand-UK's Frogster thread. I believe you are a member of that forum. I was hoping you might give me some advice.