Ex-House speaker Somsak indicted for violating Constitution

webfact

Ex-House speaker Somsak indicted for violating Constitution
By Digital Content

13964115283824.jpg

BANGKOK, April 2 -- Thailand's National Anti-Corruption Committee (NACC) on Tuesday indicted former parliament president and House Speaker Somsak Kiatsuranont for unlawfully performing his duty during a parliamentary debate on a Constitutional amendment concerning the composition of the Senate.

The NACC unanimously decided against Mr Somsak who was charged with violating the Constitution for his involvement in the attempt to amend a provision in the Constitution.

NACC members Prasart Pongsivapai and Vicha Mahakhun, the latter the agency's official spokesman, together told a press conference that the NACC learned that Mr Somsak submitted a constitutional amendment draft to Parliament for consideration which was different from the original draft, without MP and senatorial endorsements as required by the Constitution.

Mr Vicha said that Mr Somsak was also faulted for depriving several MPs of their right to debate the amendments draft.

The NACC ruled Mr Somsak’s acts were in violation of the Constitution and that it would recommend that he be impeached by the Senate.

The decision will be sent to the Senate to proceed with the impeachment.

On March 20, Senate speaker Nikom Wairatpanich was also indicted by the NACC for exercising his power in violation of the Constitution during a parliamentary debate on a Constitution amendment concerning the composition of the Senate.

He is facing impeachment by the Senate.

As for caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's request that NACC question addition of 11 witnesses to defend allegations that she was negligent in not preventing graft in the loss-making project, Mr Vicha said that NACC has allowed three of the 11 defence witnesses to testify

Ms Yingluck was charged with dereliction of duty in connection with the government's rice-pledging scheme.

The three witnesses were caretaker Finance Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong, caretaker Commerce Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan and caretaker Deputy Commerce Minister Yanyong Phuangrach. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-04-02

• Like 2

Will the NACC accept if those three witnesses through their legal representatives ask for a delayed statement because obviously they are all busy and caretaking ministers rolleyes.gif

One by one here come the chickens. Hopefully it won't be long before one comes home with Tharit's name on it and he gets his comeuppance.

Well here comes a whole cabinet of chickens.

Constitutional Court decides to proceed with case against PM related to Thawil's transfer

The Constitutional Court decided Wednesday to proceed with a petition against caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra who was accused of breaching the charter related to the transfer of the National Security Council chief.

Yaaaay!!!!

Gone by Monday.

• Like 1

The three witnesses were caretaker Finance Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong, caretaker Commerce Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisan and caretaker Deputy Commerce Minister Yanyong Phuangrach. (MCOT online news)

Too bad that Chalerm wasn't allowed to testify, if for no other reason than comic relief.

The oppurtunity to make a ''Giant step for Thailand'', against political, social, and business corruption is here and now.Hopefully the powers that be, recongize this and do what they are tasked with and have sworn to do. This will not get all the guilty ones, but its a start and futher doors wii open to go after others who have acted outside the law in the past few governments.

I must be having a MLK moment, ''I have a dream'', which if it comes true will go a long way in returning hope to countless residents/citizens of Thailand, first, and then those other nations/people who pay attention.

I hope you are right about the doors will be opened and other trees will fall from all sides as it comes from all sides...but I have this uneasy feeling that all we are going to see six months more of verbosity and then the faces will change and we will all be told it is handled...and then the new pack whomever they are will start tearing at the corpse.... I just don't see the old boys from either side giving anything up to the "people" ... I hope against hope I am wrong..but sleeping with one eye open so to speak ...Cheers!

I can't believe that people in these positions are so dumb, to try and get it done in such a under handed way speaks volumes for the calibre of these peoples morals , it gives the impression that I am above the law , I can do what I like, don't question my judgement , I am glad that some one blew the whistle on this spiv , another nail in the coffin.bah.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The oppurtunity to make a ''Giant step for Thailand'', against political, social, and business corruption is here and now.Hopefully the powers that be, recongize this and do what they are tasked with and have sworn to do. This will not get all the guilty ones, but its a start and futher doors wii open to go after others who have acted outside the law in the past few governments.

I must be having a MLK moment, ''I have a dream'', which if it comes true will go a long way in returning hope to countless residents/citizens of Thailand, first, and then those other nations/people who pay attention.

I wouldn't hold my breath , the establishment is to well entrenched for complete change , reforms will come about from the people , not the current crop of misfits.

One by one here come the chickens. Hopefully it won't be long before one comes home with Tharit's name on it and he gets his comeuppance.

I'd sooner see Chalerm's name first. Watch him go through withdrawal symptoms and sweat and vomit, for all the bad he and his sons have done! and come out of it locked up by his own faeces friends, scared to go thru the same. clap2.gif

" ... the NACC learned that Mr Somsak submitted a constitutional amendment draft to Parliament for consideration which was different from the original draft, without MP and senatorial endorsements as required by the Constitution. Mr Vicha said that Mr Somsak was also faulted for depriving several MPs of their right to debate the amendments draft. "

This is what Pheu Thai did with the amnesty bill as well - the bill was " revised " at the last minute. The flagrant disregard of parliamentary rules was a deliberate, manipulative tactic, and Pheu Thai thought they'd be able to get away with it. Somsak had been known since the 90s as alternately " the hammer man " and " the gavel man ", because of his unilateral pronouncements. Naturally, in 2011, he was Thaksin's prime pick for house speaker. His methods as speaker did not change. There is one famous video clip of him ignoring parliamentary rules and cutting off a debate and forcing a vote. Many felt he should have resigned right there and then, as a parliamentary speaker not only must be fully respectful of parliamentary procedure, but he is supposed to be non-partisan, as well. Somsak did everything but. This development is not is the least bit surprising.

Look at the post that shows the increase in his personal wealth in the period PTP have been in office. Would you expect anyone whose wealth is increasing so massively to be honorable and resign or continue following orders and become even richer?

One can only hope that all PTP members and affiliates will have their assets carefully checked for any inexplicable sudden increases during their time in office and in care taker mode. TiT so its highly unlikely.

" ... the NACC learned that Mr Somsak submitted a constitutional amendment draft to Parliament for consideration which was different from the original draft, without MP and senatorial endorsements as required by the Constitution. Mr Vicha said that Mr Somsak was also faulted for depriving several MPs of their right to debate the amendments draft. "

This is what Pheu Thai did with the amnesty bill as well - the bill was " revised " at the last minute. The flagrant disregard of parliamentary rules was a deliberate, manipulative tactic, and Pheu Thai thought they'd be able to get away with it. Somsak had been known since the 90s as alternately " the hammer man " and " the gavel man ", because of his unilateral pronouncements. Naturally, in 2011, he was Thaksin's prime pick for house speaker. His methods as speaker did not change. There is one famous video clip of him ignoring parliamentary rules and cutting off a debate and forcing a vote. Many felt he should have resigned right there and then, as a parliamentary speaker not only must be fully respectful of parliamentary procedure, but he is supposed to be non-partisan, as well. Somsak did everything but. This development is not is the least bit surprising.

Look at the post that shows the increase in his personal wealth in the period PTP have been in office. Would you expect anyone whose wealth is increasing so massively to be honorable and resign or continue following orders and become even richer?

One can only hope that all PTP members and affiliates will have their assets carefully checked for any inexplicable sudden increases during their time in office and in care taker mode. TiT so its highly unlikely.

I hope you are right about the doors will be opened and other trees will fall from all sides as it comes from all sides...but I have this uneasy feeling that all we are going to see six months more of verbosity and then the faces will change and we will all be told it is handled...and then the new pack whomever they are will start tearing at the corpse.... I just don't see the old boys from either side giving anything up to the "people" ... I hope against hope I am wrong..but sleeping with one eye open so to speak ...Cheers!

You seem to be becoming neutral, or even swapping away from the side you have supported for a very long time.

Are you one of these people who one year supports Man U, and then changes to Liverpool, or back, depending upon whichever one wins the cup that year?

You beat me to it, Why ask. I thought the same thing when I saw his comment.

I think you will see a lot of this happening soon, as the PTP really starts to crash and burn big time. These so-called supporters of Yingluck and her gang of criminals will jump ship without hesitation and will either stop posting altogether due to the huge loss of face, or will change names and come back as anti-PTP posters just to be on the winning side.

Not one ounce of heart or spine between the lot of them.

Different to me, as I would despise anything to do with the Shinawatra regime whether they are in power, or in prison. biggrin.png

• Like 2