Kon deeow vs tua aeng

james24

This one seems like there is a very thin line between the two.

if you wanted to say you lived on your own you could use either...?

In English "on my own" or "by myself " are pretty interchangeable , is that the same in Thai ..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The former means 'alone' or 'on my own'.

e.g. มาคนเดียว I came alone.

The latter does not mean 'alone'. It can be used as a reflexive pronoun.

e.g. ตีตัวเอง to hit oneself

or for emphasis

e.g. เขาทำตัวเอง He did it himself.

So in answer to your question.

ผมอยู่คนเดียว I live alone.

Edited by Briggsy

The former means 'alone' or 'on my own'.

e.g. มาคนเดียว I came alone.

The latter does not mean 'alone'. It can be used as a reflexive pronoun.

e.g. ตีตัวเอง to hit oneself

or for emphasis

e.g. เขาทำตัวเอง He did it himself.

So in answer to your question.

ผมอยู่คนเดียว I live alone.

Thx

But referring to the subject is it not possible to say " I live by myself",,,?

If you want to say "I live by myself", in Thai that would be ผมอยู่คนเดียว or ผมอยู่ลำพัง.

In Thai language ตัวเอง and คนเดียว is definitely not interchangeable since they have completely different meaning as Briggsy already explained.

I think ด้วยตัวเอง (doo-ay tua aeng) corresponds to "by oneself" so อยู่ด้วยตัวเอง (yoo doo-ay tua aeng) can also be used to say you (or someone) lives alone.

Edited by starrdog

I understand now however it seems tua aeng or aeng can be used in similar ways as Kon deeow but not vice versa.

E.g "I lost it myself " cannot really say " I lost it alone " however " I am going by myself"and I am going alone " can be said in Thai

• 2 weeks later...

I think ด้วยตัวเอง (doo-ay tua aeng) corresponds to "by oneself" so อยู่ด้วยตัวเอง (yoo doo-ay tua aeng) can also be used to say you (or someone) lives alone.

I think that would mean more like 'I live ALL by myself'meaning I am self-sufficient.

ตนเอง or Dton eng meaning 'self' or 'oneself' is also similar to khon diow and dtua eng, well more like dtua eng.

ด้วยตนเอง duay dton eng would mean something like 'in person' or 'personally/by oneself'

Ok thx mole but I can't read Thai lol . It does look like the end one in aeng though lol

YOU cannot read Thai... but your computer CAN, its what I did with the words of mole, I did not read but listen to them, can help a lot.

Ok thx mole but I can't read Thai lol . It does look like the end one in aeng though lol

YOU cannot read Thai... but your computer CAN, its what I did with the words of mole, I did not read but listen to them, can help a lot.

How can you listen to words that are typed and how can a computer read Thai ?

It is not a computer but every computers on earth, so your computer too, I have a Mac Book Pro, but your computer whatever it is have a speech recognition program for sure, you just have to download the proper language, so the Thai language. An English recognition voice will not be able to read Thai and vice versa, or yes but il will be very funny. Do not forget Google is your friend for that too smile.png

It is not a computer but every computers on earth, so your computer too, I have a Mac Book Pro, but your computer whatever it is have a speech recognition program for sure, you just have to download the proper language, so the Thai language. An English recognition voice will not be able to read Thai and vice versa, or yes but il will be very funny. Do not forget Google is your friend for that too smile.png

Are you sure it's called " speech recognition language " ? as I understand, speech recognition is to speak to the computer, not to ask the computer to read something for you ( may be for Mac , but not for windows )

anyway, if somebody knows one to read thai, please tell us

as for me, I found one, the voice is synthetic but my GF told me she understands what is said ; I use it often and I think it's ok to know how to pronounce thai words or full sentences ( copy and paste )

you can download here, it's free http://vaja.nectec.or.th/

Another way to hear how Thai script is pronounced is by using translate.google.com. Put the text you want to hear in the translation box/window and then click the little speaker icon that appears in the bottom right corner of the box.