Passport ends within 6 months

I'm not sure where to put this one, but any advice is much appreciated. I'm going back to Oz at the end of this month for one week - then back to Thailand. I'm going again around mid July for around one month. My passport expires on 1st October, which is also when my one year multiple entry retirement visa expires.

When I go at the end of this month and return on 7th May there will be less than six months left on my passport. Is that likely to be a problem getting back in, or should I try to get a passport renewal in Australia ? Thanks

You only need a passport valid for your period of stay to enter Thailand.

But since you are going to be in Australia I suggest you get a new one while you are there.

You need 6 months passport validity to enter any neighboring country. Which means you could not do border runs if you have a multiple entry visa that requires leaving every 90 days.

I had some friends who were refused boarding from their home country (UK), as they only had 6 montHs validity left on their passport, even though they were only going to Iceland for a 5 day break. It is always hit and miss when dealing with officials, and some are much more officious than others. Agreed, that it might be best to get a new passport in Australia, or alternatively a new one in Thailand, and get the visa etc transferred.

I had some friends who were refused boarding from their home country (UK), as they only had 6 montHs validity left on their passport, even though they were only going to Iceland for a 5 day break. It is always hit and miss when dealing with officials, and some are much more officious than others. Agreed, that it might be best to get a new passport in Australia, or alternatively a new one in Thailand, and get the visa etc transferred.

visa's are non transferable

Every country has there own requirements for passport validity. There is no international 6 month requirement.

Thailand's requirement varies by country. For an Australian it is validity for the length of allowed stay.

Fill out the info here to get Thailand's or any other countries requirements for passports or visas. http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

Visas cannot be transferred to a new passport.