led transformer

JesseFrank

I have 3 x 32W led pool lights which are 12V AC or DC

Currently I have one of these transformers for the 220V/12V conversion Transformer-hightolow_smaller.jpg

I wanted to change it now to a more current technology model and place a 200W transfomer.

First I saw these ones $_12.JPGBut then after I saw these which are actually less than half the price for the same power.$_57.JPG I understand that one is DCV where the other is ACV, but since the lights can handle both it is a non issue. Is the latter one suitable for my application ?

The middle one is a regular switching power supply, DC out, the bottom is an electronic transformer, high frequency AC out.

I would suggest that the middle one would be more reliable but it will need a box to cover those bare terminals, it's also not marked as "SELV" which is an indication of the safety of the device when used in a pool environment (that does not mean No2 is unsafe, it's just not marked as such).

If your lamps are AC/DC then either will run them just fine.

But, if the existing conventional transformer is working, not making annoying noises and not getting excessively hot why replace it? Iron transformers are robust, reliable and very efficient, with no rectifiers and regulators to reduce efficiency they are nearly as good (maybe better) as the electronic versions (which are a lot smaller and usually cheaper).

Where do you see "DC" on either one? I only see "AC". Both should be fine as long as they are kept away from water.

Crossy do you agree?

Look closer:

post-10942-0-12357500-1396570314_thumb.p

Perfectly acceptable for the OP's use. Have several and have never had a problem. On the other hand did have a problem with the middle one. It is primarily for multiple lights

BUT, if the OP has three separate lights he would be better off to purchase three lower wattage converters, ie.3 X 50 W. If not convenient for his connection would opt for the middle, more expensive one

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The middle one is a regular switching power supply, DC out, the bottom is an electronic transformer, high frequency AC out.

I would suggest that the middle one would be more reliable but it will need a box to cover those bare terminals, it's also not marked as "SELV" which is an indication of the safety of the device when used in a pool environment (that does not mean No2 is unsafe, it's just not marked as such).

If your lamps are AC/DC then either will run them just fine.

But, if the existing conventional transformer is working, not making annoying noises and not getting excessively hot why replace it? Iron transformers are robust, reliable and very efficient, with no rectifiers and regulators to reduce efficiency they are nearly as good (maybe better) as the electronic versions (which are a lot smaller and usually cheaper).

Reason I want to replace that I had recently 1 of the lamps have an error in one led color channel. The lamp will be replaced under warranty, but the seller told me that a possible cause could be that the transformer delivered a higher than 12V due to a power surge or other reason.So I just want to be on the safe side.

Another reason I want to change is that something interferes with the remote control that commands the lights and the pumps. I have a conventional transformer, a small electronic transformer and the remote control unit all ,mounted together in the control box. I don't know if it is one of the transformers or the pool pumps that interfere with the remote.

Where do you see "DC" on either one? I only see "AC". Both should be fine as long as they are kept away from water.

Crossy do you agree?

Look closer:

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gconverter.png

Perfectly acceptable for the OP's use. Have several and have never had a problem. On the other hand did have a problem with the middle one. It is primarily for multiple lights

BUT, if the OP has three separate lights he would be better off to purchase three lower wattage converters, ie.3 X 50 W. If not convenient for his connection would opt for the middle, more expensive one

I need a single transformer for the 3 lights since that is how they are kept synchronized.

Edited by JesseFrank

• 1 month later...

I don’t think you will face any issue with the electronic transformer as it is cheap not because of poor quality but because it uses the small transformer then the magnetic transformer that is the cost deciding factor, as it uses the inverter that increases the frequency before applying the AC input to the transformer so we can achieve the desired output with the smaller transformer. So you should go with the electronic transformer.