Siam Legal's fees

iamariva1957

I know that this might be better to have posted on the legal forum... but I was not sure. But I asked a certain law firm for help with a Visa for a friend of ours to travel as a tourist to the US this June. The price that they quoted me for simply making sure that all the documents were done properly was outrageous! They actually quoted me over $650 (US). This did NOT include anything more than 'making sure'. It did not include (or even offer) to handle the application and arrange anything or represent the applicant with the US Embassy.

Now, the actual cost for filing an application for a Tourist Visa with the US is $160. The application documentation is easy enough and though the interview process is time consuming, the procedure is straight forward enough. However, Ii would have been nice to have had a firm representing us especially for that price given by said firm. For when one hires a law firm it is expected that they be there and handle what is needed on behalf of their client and to follow through. But this did not seem to be the case with this firm. There are other outfits out there one can use, I know, but come on... enough said.

I have not mentioned any names herein for obvious reasons.

All any law firm really has to sell is their time. If it takes two hours to gather the pertinent information to properly complete the forms and make sure -- based upon their experience -- that all documents are in order, that is time that they cannot sell to someone else.

No law firm is obligated to say 'Hey -- you don't need us; you can just do it yourself' if you go to them and agree to their terms as stated in advance.

All any law firm really has to sell is their time. If it takes two hours to gather the pertinent information to properly complete the forms and make sure -- based upon their experience -- that all documents are in order, that is time that they cannot sell to someone else.

No law firm is obligated to say 'Hey -- you don't need us; you can just do it yourself' if you go to them and agree to their terms as stated in advance.

As seen through the eyes of a lawyer whistling.gif

• Like 1

A point many forget.

Back home that gets you 1 hour, and most likely mostly done by the paralegal.

Just go with a cheaper "agency" rather than a lawyer with all those expensive marketing costs to recoup.

Of even better just do it yourself, everything's spelled out 123ABC.

Edited by wym

Time and Time again we see posts like this, You can do your own Visa yourself and a lot cheaper. all Visa agents do is fill your form in with your information. many have done in the past and are still doing now, with the Help of many Thai visa members. But if you are lazy and cannot be bothered then you pay.

Is it really extortionate compared to what you would expect a law firm to charge back home?

But for many, $600 is actually not bad value for money compared to the hassle of doing it yourself and your personal loss of productivity/income.

You get what you pay for at the end of the day!

Maybe you should try one of the many chancers that will offer the service and perhaps balls it up, causing you more grief than the discount was worth.

It's a buyers market - Nobody is holding a gun to your head are they?

In fact it is probably something you can do yourself!

Edited by Satcommlee