Why do people keep calling it LOS?

Braddockrd

Well the whole point of "Land of Smiles" is that they're supposed to be smiling AT US!

Few ever cared about whether they're truly content deep inside, nor how they treat each other. . .

At us.....not with us ?

I think they care deep inside though, only they dont show it.

Yes, I also was thinking this already. Thailand is not the LOS (land of smile) any longer. It seems to me like a marketing trick. People are smiling only when they want to get your money but not because they are so friendly. Especially in the main tourism areas like Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket this can be observed. If they detect that you are not a stupid buffalo than they stop smiling.

It isn't? Funny that, I find that once you get away from the girlie bars and the ghettos full of moaning retirees, Thailand is actually a very friendly country. But then I do tend to actually meet and greet Thais, not just sit in a bar and bitch about how much better things were 20 years ago,

I agree.

I found Thailand full of happy people everywhere, and all, wiling to be helpful to an american, whether I was alone or with a thai female

Yes, I also was thinking this already. Thailand is not the LOS (land of smile) any longer. It seems to me like a marketing trick. People are smiling only when they want to get your money but not because they are so friendly. Especially in the main tourism areas like Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket this can be observed. If they detect that you are not a stupid buffalo than they stop smiling.

It isn't? Funny that, I find that once you get away from the girlie bars and the ghettos full of moaning retirees, Thailand is actually a very friendly country. But then I do tend to actually meet and greet Thais, not just sit in a bar and bitch about how much better things were 20 years ago,

I agree.

I found Thailand full of happy people everywhere, and all, wiling to be helpful to an american, whether I was alone or with a thai female

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ok, as expected most of you missed the forest for the trees. It is childish, or teenagerish at best to refer to a country constantly by its nickname, even more so using acronyms. What is generally termed as a literary license has become mainstream. From now on, all of you, just write Thailand. And if you are too lazy to spell it out just write TH. It's shorter

That's how advertising works. Even if you have questions about LOS, the slogan is doing it's job.

TAT did something right. Wow...................rolleyes.gif

One could even say Amazing.......................tongue.png

LOS is easier to make up things that suit your situation, land of smiles, land of sex, land of sh*t, land of shonks, lack of service, loss of savings etc, etc......

LOL.. Spot on, but it's still land of smiles for me most of the times.

When i visit homecountry once a year, i keep on smiling to strangers for 1 or 2 days, until somebody give me a strange look.

Normally, while in Thailand i can smile to people, and usually get a smile back.

• Like 1

A lot of places on this planet have nicknames started a long time ago, this is the case here . I still see a lot of smiles , and I see them in many countries all depends how you look at it.

Kevvy

But Hanno, were you actually active here 20 years ago, and talking from experience or purely surmising ?

But Hanno, were you actually active here 20 years ago, and talking from experience or purely surmising ?

Hanno has been there, done that and probably crossed some lines. Now he is a role model for all the broke sexpats that stumble their way to Thailand. Keep smiling Hanno!

It's all about keep, smiling or go insane if you live there. At least thats what got me through it! It's a differant world, roll with the punches, resist at your own peril. If you are going to live in thailand and can't laugh at the foolishness you are just going to end up bitter and twisted.

There is plenty to genuinely smile about, find it, deal with the rest and learn how to let the rest roll around you.