Children: Thai culture/european culture

laolover88

Left 'Land of Stupidity' two years ago. My daughter doing well in school, mastering music fine, and has great outside interest clubs like judo and brownies and athletics. Most importantly, school and society strongly support initiatives like anti-bullying and anti-racism. In a nutshell, she is learning right from wrong. Thailand is no place to bring up a child if you aspire to them having the chances and opportunities that you yourself had.

Is your wife Thai? If so, she was raised in the society that you call "stupid," which makes her stupid. Why would you marry a stupid woman?

Nonsense Thai logic.

Are you Thai, Berkshire?

No, it's western logic. I'm an American.

Classifying an individual's traits on the percieved general traits of the society which they were raised in isn't Western logic. It's that of a simple mind, devoid of objective thought.

• Like 1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This could be an interesting topic, considering that the OP is raising Thai daughters. I know many farangs in Thailand (and on TV) who go on and on about the negatives of western women. You know the deal, the lost of femininity, too demanding, too critical, in short, feminazis. At the same time, these same guys go on and on about why they prefer Thai women, usually because of Thai women's acceptance of traditional feminine roles (in theory).

So you would think most farangs in Thailand would want their daughters to grow up to be the same sort of women that they prefer? Hmmm, doesn't seem to be the case, which is somewhat hypocritical. But then the farang attitude in Thailand is typically hypocritical.

[This is not a knock on the OP as he seems to want the best of both worlds (whatever that means). But sometimes, the line is quite clear: modern/independent woman, or traditional woman. Don't worry, they will choose themselves in the end.]

You're confusing femanism and education, Somehow thinking that they are the same.

Am I? So it's education? Does that mean that a Thai with a PhD will be more or less traditional than a Thai with a high school education? Or even better, a Thai with a PhD married to a Thai, or a Thai peasant girl married to a farang? I think you're confusing education with west vs. east values.

If one is raised in the west, one will be raised with western values. What part of that do you not understand?

"Am I?"

Yes, you are.

"If one is raised in the west, one will be raised with western values"

Incorrect.

Values are thought from the the home.

Left 'Land of Stupidity' two years ago. My daughter doing well in school, mastering music fine, and has great outside interest clubs like judo and brownies and athletics. Most importantly, school and society strongly support initiatives like anti-bullying and anti-racism. In a nutshell, she is learning right from wrong. Thailand is no place to bring up a child if you aspire to them having the chances and opportunities that you yourself had.

Is your wife Thai? If so, she was raised in the society that you call "stupid," which makes her stupid. Why would you marry a stupid woman?

Nonsense Thai logic.

Are you Thai, Berkshire?

No, it's western logic. I'm an American.

Som wat, I wasn't even talking to you originally. So how about letting that nutbag cabanlit respond for himself.

"Am I?"

Yes, you are.

Incorrect.

a touch oversimplified perhaps?

maybe even overlooking other influences altogether?

This could be an interesting topic, considering that the OP is raising Thai daughters. I know many farangs in Thailand (and on TV) who go on and on about the negatives of western women. You know the deal, the lost of femininity, too demanding, too critical, in short, feminazis. At the same time, these same guys go on and on about why they prefer Thai women, usually because of Thai women's acceptance of traditional feminine roles (in theory).

So you would think most farangs in Thailand would want their daughters to grow up to be the same sort of women that they prefer? Hmmm, doesn't seem to be the case, which is somewhat hypocritical. But then the farang attitude in Thailand is typically hypocritical.

[This is not a knock on the OP as he seems to want the best of both worlds (whatever that means). But sometimes, the line is quite clear: modern/independent woman, or traditional woman. Don't worry, they will choose themselves in the end.]

You're confusing femanism and education, Somehow thinking that they are the same.

Next question. Is a quality western education and Thai femininity incompatible.

I think it might be. Just look at the rest of Asia where education standards are a bit higher. Are Thai girls indoctrinated in the the Thai education system.

Am I? So it's education? Does that mean that a Thai with a PhD will be more or less traditional than a Thai with a high school education? Or even better, a Thai with a PhD married to a Thai, or a Thai peasant girl married to a farang? I think you're confusing education with west vs. east values.

If one is raised in the west, one will be raised with western values. What part of that do you not understand?

"Am I?"

Yes, you are.

Incorrect.

Very difficult to impose completely Asian values in a western system. Of course the incongruity is the proven fact that apparently Asians do so well academically in the West.

Maybe the perfect combination is thainess in a western context. Or do Thai kids in the west still perform pretty badly?

• 2 weeks later...
Very difficult to impose completely Asian values in a western system. Of course the incongruity is the proven fact that apparently Asians do so well academically in the West.

Maybe the perfect combination is thainess in a western context. Or do Thai kids in the west still perform pretty badly?

Asians perform well in the West because the education systems are better in the West. The West has competent teachers and programs to prepare children for whom English is not their first language. Thailand's system and (most) teachers are incompetent.