Pool equipment - under dimensioned?

edh

Good day,

I am having doubts with regards to the installed pool equipment in my house.

I changed pool maintenance company and they say that what I've got installed is to small for the size of pool I have.

I did a rough calculation and I consider it to be adequate, but not sure if I am correct.

Our pool is 9x5x1.65 meter with an attached paddle pool of 3x3x0.7 meter. Emaux chlorine generator 25-T, sand filter S650 (design flow 15,6 m3/h) and Emaux circulation pump with max capacity of 19.6 m3/h.

My calculation is that the pump and filter unit will manage to circulate all water through the filter almost two times in the 9-10 hours the pump is engaged.

Anyone with any knowledge about this?

Thanks

Edh

Unless the pool is being treated with pool stabiliser (cyanuric acid) you will need to run the system for 12 hours to produce enough chlorine for effective treatment otherwise will need to add extra chlorine. Based on 80m3 your chlorinator needs to produce 320 grams chlorine which is double the amount of normal chlorine required. Reason being is that UV rays from the sun chew up chlorine & so it is also a good idea to have some chlorine production during darkness.

• Like 1

Thanks Valentine.

The unit is running at least 4 hours during darkness.

Thanks for your reply. wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif

Unless the pool is being treated with pool stabiliser (cyanuric acid) you will need to run the system for 12 hours to produce enough chlorine for effective treatment otherwise will need to add extra chlorine. Based on 80m3 your chlorinator needs to produce 320 grams chlorine which is double the amount of normal chlorine required. Reason being is that UV rays from the sun chew up chlorine & so it is also a good idea to have some chlorine production during darkness.

• 1 month later...

edh,

Your pump/filtration installation appears to be perfectly adequate for your pool. It's almost the best configuration you can get based on the flow rate(s) of the equipment, for the recommended 6 hours pumping time per 24 hours (in the tropics) to turn around the volume of your pool. Any suggestion that the system is too small is possibly lack of knowledge or an improper attempt to get you to buy something else.

The Emaux chorinator is also optimal for your pool size and on the right setting should produce sufficient quantities of chlorine provided you keep the salt content at around 4000 ppm.

It is always best to chlorinate a pool or (to run a salt water chlorination system) in the tropics when the pool is not subject to harsh, direct tropical sun - the sun will indeed burn off some of the chlorine before it has done its job. Most quality salt water chlorinators include the timing device for the pump - the Emaux unit allows for many on/off positions from its analog timer. Other brands that use a digital timer will also offer at least two on/off programmes.

You may need to add minute quantities of cyanuric acid but the only way to do this accurately is to obtain a CYA test kit. You can either buy Cyanuric Acid (rather expensive) or you can simply occasionally add a small quantity of T.C.C.A. 90% pool chlorine in either powder, granule, or tablet form because this kind of chlorine already includes CYA - that is why it is called 'stabilised' chlorine.

CYA only gets lost through dilution (rain water) or backwashing, and whatever you may have heard or read elsewhere, you do only need minute quantities of it.

• Like 1