Which Thai banks for easy transfer GBP both in and out of Thailand?

As for 'out', I've found BBL and UOB quite nice.

I remember one time I tried to send B100,000 to my niece for her wedding via SCB, there's all kind of trouble. I then went to a BBL branch in an industrial zone, it was a breeze.

UOB was also very helpful when my BIL sent B3m to the States and even gave him a favorable rate.

As for 'in', banks previously never informed you when you had remittances from abroad. Now, they have changed. Thanks for the ABN Ambro, I think, which started a competition. Before that, they treated you like beggars.

When our daughter sent us USD10,000 to help us buy the house in CM, she was advised to lock up the rate by converting the USD to THB in the States. What we got then was B28 to a USD. At that time, it should have been about B30 to a dollar if she just wired it in dollar. Oh, my god, she was a VP at the Morgan Chase then! I think some people get overpaid! Don't believe in experts is what I say!

I have a bangkok bank account and am back on aus at the moment, i just use my card at a atm and no problems

I also used my BKB ATM card in Los Angeles and no problems. The banks always win, one way or the other. New, I tried to open an account with Thai Military Bank in January, 2014 in Pattaya and was informed that they do no longer open accounts for Americans (US Passport). I also had to close my Swiss bank account 2 years ago because I have an American address. For dual citizens (Swiss-American) it is impossible to open an account in Switzerland after they return to live in Switzerland. Nobody wants to deal with the gangsters in DC. Of course the gangsters in the Swiss banks are not any hollier

Edited by BlueSkyCowboy

Thanks for all your replies to my question on how to transfer GBP both in and out of Thailand. I had to jump through hoops to open a citibank account in another country. For thailand would you recommend HSBC or Citi?

Edited by julesdick

Thanks for all your replies to my question on how to transfer GBP both in and out of Thailand. I had to jump through hoops to open a citibank account in another country. For thailand would you recommend HSBC or Citi?

HSBC sold their retail banking operations in Thailand to BAY last year, only HSBC commercial remains hence you can't open an HSBC account here..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...