Why shops are allowed to openly steal from customers

JesseFrank

Consumer protection in Thailand, called the OCPB, are very effective and are doing a great job. Have good experiences with them. The larger companies in Thailand are also very aware of that.

Of course OCPB will not bother about a pack of cut fruit.

I haven't heard such glowing reviews of people's experience with them.

And if you know that those responsible for such matters don't care, why do you post such a silly OP?

• Like 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Isnt it amazing how someone can post a topic to help members and it turns into a shit fight , Some people just come on here to start one .

I agree with you. If I started a thread with value laden phrases like "is in that case effectively cheating and stealing from their customers, Again, how can they get away with it ?" I would expect to start a fight.

So If I didn't want a fight I'd start with much more neutral language than cheating and stealing.

In fact I would write a letter and mail it to the president of the store and see if I got a response.

But that's just me. When I have a problem I take care of it myself and don't try and be an internet rabble rouser till I've exhausted all of my personal options.

No comment, because I'm sure i would be suspended for saying the truth.

And you don't think the above is a flame? You think you are an upstanding poster who has in this one instance only chosen to personally attack me and not the topic or what I wrote. Well OK. Grow up. Stop flaming and start posting and strike a blow for adult discussion instead on Anuban name calling.

I'll repeat my point. You began a thread with value laden words like cheating and stealing to start a fight and you got one. And now you are feigning surprise. Oh my.

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

Isnt it amazing how someone can post a topic to help members and it turns into a shit fight , Some people just come on here to start one .

I agree with you. If I started a thread with value laden phrases like "is in that case effectively cheating and stealing from their customers, Again, how can they get away with it ?" I would expect to start a fight.

So If I didn't want a fight I'd start with much more neutral language than cheating and stealing.

In fact I would write a letter and mail it to the president of the store and see if I got a response.

But that's just me. When I have a problem I take care of it myself and don't try and be an internet rabble rouser till I've exhausted all of my personal options.

And you don't think the above is a flame? You think you are an upstanding poster who has in this one instance only chosen to personally attack me and not the topic or what I wrote. Well OK. Grow up. Stop flaming and start posting and strike a blow for adult discussion instead on Anuban name calling.

I'll repeat my point. You began a thread with value laden words like cheating and stealing to start a fight and you got one. And now you are feigning surprise. Oh my.

You want to talk about someone starting a thread with the sole intention to ignite a fight ?

Take a look here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/686713-how-many-lined-up-this-morning/

Boy you have a massive chip on your shoulder isn't it.

Edited by JesseFrank

You want to talk about someone starting a thread with the sole intention to ignite a fight ?

Take a look here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/686713-how-many-lined-up-this-morning/

Boy you have a serious chip on your shoulder isn't it.

He is living in the "now". A habit, unfortunately, adapted by many in the world.

Dont worry though ...he will come up with a reply of justification.

• Like 2

But how about making other people aware of the practice with my thread ?

Then title it appropriately, why ask why?

What is wrong with the title ?

Why shops are allowed, as in, why do we allow them .

It is only if enough people are aware of this practice, that they will not get away with it anymore, because their produce with falsified labels will stay on the shelf.

Watch out for cut rose apples in plastic.

Some sharp vendors put browned ones in there and show the red side out.

You can't see what's happening until you open it.

Happened to me recently from a vendor who knows me.

I know she knew.

Brilliant long term business plan ...

when you're in a market with five other fruit vendors ...

There are consumer laws, and a consumer protection board, the fact that the laws are not enforced is no excuse. They are not enforced because the enforcers are probably paid off by the businesses that have a monopoly in Thailand.

Not making an excuse, just pointing out that we have to deal with reality as it presents itself rather than how we'd like it to be.

Stupid people pay more, fact of life, no nanny state can prevent that without making life miserable for everyone.

Again, this is not about stupid people or overpriced items, this is about intentionally falsifying price labels.

bring your own scales to the market if your unhappy with the weights weight it yourself at checkout ,see how far you get :D

im guessing thrown out by security ,the poplice wouldnt entertain such a "crime" especially if it was brought to their attention by a farang

if you think its stealing ,try and make a police report and let us know how it goes .............buy a 1kg of grapes ,take it the copshop with a scales and tell them it only weighs 400g and youve been robbed over half of your grapes cheesy.gif

• Like 1

The 80% thing you mention usually applies to ONE specific item not ALL, or can mean 80% off the recommended selling price.

Which basically means they just play with the figures to make it look good.

yes ,they can easily defend themselves with phrases like "up to 80% off clearance sale "

and say whatever item had 80% off and sold for 20% is now out of stock ,even if it was never there in the first place

or you should have came earlier ,theyre sold out so your shit outta luck ............

i dont think western style marketing is actually stealing and even if it was you could never prove it .......that goes double for thailand

where the customer service is an afterthought to getting the money in the first place .....

There are consumer laws, and a consumer protection board, the fact that the laws are not enforced is no excuse. They are not enforced because the enforcers are probably paid off by the businesses that have a monopoly in Thailand.

Not making an excuse, just pointing out that we have to deal with reality as it presents itself rather than how we'd like it to be.

Stupid people pay more, fact of life, no nanny state can prevent that without making life miserable for everyone.

"just pointing out that we have to deal with reality as it presents itself rather than how we'd like it to be"

In this case one mans reality is another mans Rip Off!

Dear benalibina,

When you learn how to post on Thai Visa I will reply to you. I would suggest you read the posting rules and the instructions for quotes and if you still have a problem ask in the support forum. If you want to mention another thread I started feel free to post in that thread as I don't see how Buddha and fruit pricing have much in common.

Edited by thailiketoo

Yesterday, I bought 3 packs of chewing gum. On sale for 16 baht, down from 20 baht each. 7-11.

She ran the price. The screen showed 60 baht in large letters, final price 48 baht. I gave her 3 twenties, she puts in the drawer and closes it. I asked for my change, she said no, 60 baht.

I walked back to the display area and saw 16 baht on the sticker. Went back to her, got the receipt and showed it that it was indeed 48 baht and I wanted my change back.

Now, one of two things happened. It was a genuine mistake and she was not paying attention. Two, she tried to screw a falang. I went with option 2.

I asked her in Thai if I had an idiot's face ( I do, but that is besides the pointbiggrin.png ) and asked for my change back. She blushed, smiled ( you know, the stupid I got caught Thai smileblink.png ) and gave my change back.thumbsup.gif

There are no safety nets in asia. Your warranty runs out when you hand over the cash.

It might take at least another 20 years for them to catch up to European standards of the 80's.

Perhaps Thai visa can open another section marked " Thai tricks to be aware of".

I don't think Thaivisa would be able to do this although I think they would like to. Think about it.

Aw flaming again boys? You can do better. Read my post and try and put together an answer related to what I wrote not what you think of me. This is Thailand. Not the nanny state you are used to. Thailand is Laissez-faire.

An action, in this case your laissez faire comment, deserves a reaction. Hence the reply. Laissez faire is an attitude. About indifference. So according to you ...Thailand is indifferent. To take it wider....cheating is thailand. Hmmm ....not expected that from you.

lais·sez–faire

noun \ˌle-ˌsā-ˈfer, ˌlā-, -ˌzā-\

economics : a policy that allows businesses to operate with very little interference from the government.

You can call it cheating the dictionary calls it lais·sez–faire.

Prices in Thai supermarkets are controlled by the government.

I am not saying that you are wrong, but did the government tell a very well known Farang supermarket chain to increase the price of a tin of corn beef from 170 Baht to 200, then 230, now 260 Baht in about a year?

Another Supermarket chain, not ONCE yet have all the items in my trolley be the same as the prices stated on the shelf, there are always two or three items HIGHER through the till than stated on the shelf price tag. I see items on the shelf passed there date too.

I couldnt care less, it just keeps my observation keen and if I dont like it I dont buy it and any corrections through the till are pointed out and refunded with a smile.

Mistakes like wrong priced items happen, though it should be avoided.

The OP is about intentionally wrong labeling items, which makes it a criminal offense.

What CharlieH says is 100% true, it happens too often all the time for it to be mistakes, there are prices all over the Supermarkets in this country on goods on the shelf, that dramatically increase when you get to the till. I am convinced that in most cases it is deliberate. I have even pointed it out to the assistants and two weeks later the same price is on the same item.

• Like 2

@JesseFrank...

Thanks for passing this on, I never thought to check that before....been caught with the Brown apples though...

Yes Thanks , i never thought od this either , and my wife has never seen this too.clap2.gif

I bought a cd player in Carrefour Pattaya years ago. it was on special for Bt3800 reduced from Bt6300.

Got to the check out and it scanned at the higher price. I got it for free as per Carrefour policy that was printed on the wall in large text at the customer service counter.

The manager very extremely pissed.

wow, didn't realize ANY outfit had that farang-style CS policy?

I assume good on returns for faulty stuff as well?

Used to buy all my expensive electronics at Costco, no-questions-asked cash-back refund, even a year later, even if just because you decide you don't like it anymore. And cheaper than Amazon, as long as you don't live too far away.

Don't think any shop could get away with that here! 8-)

Edited by wym

Usually they can't, it's hard to get a refund sometimes, in tesco and big c it seems to be up to the person you're dealing with...

Some will agree an item is defective, some won't, others suggest a repair etc...

Whatever they can get away with it seems..

I bought a cd player in Carrefour Pattaya years ago. it was on special for Bt3800 reduced from Bt6300.

Got to the check out and it scanned at the higher price. I got it for free as per Carrefour policy that was printed on the wall in large text at the customer service counter.

That's not pinned on any walls anymore.... Maybe they had a rethink on it.....

Carrefour is no longer here.

@JesseFrank...

Thanks for passing this on, I never thought to check that before....been caught with the Brown apples though...

Yes Thanks , i never thought od this either , and my wife has never seen this too.clap2.gif

It is a way promotional items are sold in many shops.They take an average weight of let's say 712 gram, and all items are around that weight, some a few gram below some a few gram above. It just makes it easier for them to label.

In this case however it was very obvious that there was a huge difference in weight because the choose a high initial weight. If they had chosen to print 250 gram on the packages and filled them only with 150 gram of goods, I would probably not have noticed, but I can notice the difference between 712 gram compared to 325 gram.

Carrefour is no longer here.

The company that took over Carrefour continued the policy for a couple of years, the later canceled it as it probably cost them piles of money .