How many lined up this morning?

thailiketoo

How many lined up this morning and gave food to the monks with the rest of the Thai people in your town?

Or did you stay in bed bemoaning the fact that Thai people don't like you very much.

In my town and close by there live 500 or so Farangs. This morning it was me and 10,000 Thai people lined up. I gave packaged food to the monks from 4 or 5 Wats as they walked by. 1 Farang and 10,000 Thai people.

And you wonder.biggrin.png

• Like 2

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To give unseen and unheard is the true thought of giving. As you seem to think you were in the minority, I guess you will have to bear your cross alone.

Nonsense. This morning the monks get a big part of their income for the rest of the year. It's like the kettles for the Salvation army and the bell ringers. It is a Thai tradition. Everyone dresses up and says hi to the neighbors and helps the monks get along for another year. You are not the keeper of wisdom on this one. Giving is giving and the monks need food and cash every year as they are the welfare system of Thailand. If you missed it you missed the boat. You ever watch a telethon in the West? Same idea. Ever watch the basked passed in church? Same idea.

• Like 2

How many lined up this morning and gave food to the monks with the rest of the Thai people in your town?

[/quote}

I am not Buddhist. Why would I want to be a hypercrite and gave alms when it is not my religion? There are many religions in Thailand, so why try to impose your religious beliefs on others?

Simon

Because the monks don't insist you be Buddhist if you are hungry and without a bed for the night. Because the monks don't ask if the stray dogs and cats they take care of are Buddhist. Because the mayor and his staff and all the important people in town are there and all waied me and tried to speak a bit of English to me. The mayor's old secretary wished me, "happy birthday" the only English she knew. If for no other reason that they see a Farang at 6 in the morning not drunk and participating in the community.

There are not many religions in Thailand by percent. Almost the whole country is Buddhist. 93% practicing Buddhists and 96% cultural Buddhists.

I have never heard of a monk trying to impose his beliefs on anyone.

• Like 1

[/quote}

I am not Buddhist. Why would I want to be a hypercrite and gave alms when it is not my religion? There are many religions in Thailand, so why try to impose your religious beliefs on others?

Simon

Because the monks don't insist you be Buddhist if you are hungry and without a bed for the night. Because the monks don't ask if the stray dogs and cats they take care of are Buddhist. Because the mayor and his staff and all the important people in town are there and all waied me and tried to speak a bit of English to me. The mayor's old secretary wished me, "happy birthday" the only English she knew. If for no other reason that they see a Farang at 6 in the morning not drunk and participating in the community.

There are not many religions in Thailand by percent. Almost the whole country is Buddhist. 93% practicing Buddhists and 96% cultural Buddhists.

I have never heard of a monk trying to impose his beliefs on anyone.

They have you for that, from now on! coffee1.gif

• Like 1

YOU WIN!!!!!!

You lose.  Didn't have to shout.  I know. 

May I just ask, out of curiosity, if you checked the faces of the whole 10000 crowd for another Farang.

PS - I give regularly to all the local temples here And you're right they do act as the local welfare system. BUT - 5am! Sorry don't see the need for that crap

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

YOU WIN!!!!!!

You lose. Didn't have to shout. I know.

May I just ask, out of curiosity, if you checked the faces of the whole 10000 crowd for another Farang.

PS - I give regularly to all the local temples here And you're right they do act as the local welfare system. BUT - 5am! Sorry don't see the need for that crap

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes. It was easy. They were lined up single file for a couple of miles and we drove slow (because of the traffic) to the end of the line to assume our place as the folks who arrived after us drove slowly by us to the new end. I think I am explaining it OK. It is a big single file line with a 2 mile board table where the food is placed and the Mayor and his staff lead the procession of monks on the outside of the table along the two miles.

Edited by thailiketoo

He's a credit to the f-rang race! Also showers regularly!

Sent from my GT-S5360B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Typical. coffee1.gif When I ride in a song tau the drivers ask me if I want to sit up front. biggrin.png

Something about flies with honey comes to mind.

Edited by thailiketoo

You are a fantastic and admirable human being, a beacon of virtue and you of course morally way, way above me.

Please accept my apology for my audacity to even answer to your OP.

We are all beneath you and it is an honor to have you here on Thai Visa and we all are grateful that you shine such a bright light on us.

In the hours to come, you will face a sh1tstorm from those, telling you that you are full of it!

If would give a hoot about you or any religion, I would pray for your strength to get through it, but istead I will just go on with my imperfect life!

96% of Thailand is culturally Buddhist. It's not about religion. It is about Thai culture. You are opposed to Thai culture. Today is a Thai tradition. If you didn't go you missed it. Loy Krathong and Son Kran are also Thai traditions. You are not well acquainted with Thai culture which is bound to make your life in Thailand more difficult and less happy.

You don't know the importance Thais place on Today because you don't respect the culture. OK. Up to you.

I live in Thailand. I like Thailand. A big part of that is understanding Thai traditions and respecting them.

Today was an opportunity for any Farang to do a little bit to impress the Thai community we are not as bad as the press leads them to believe.

What part of "I don't give a f@#$ what you think", didn't you get?!

• Like 2

I have a Christian Church near me, I don't think Buddhist folk go out of their way to put anything on the plate there.....................coffee1.gif

I have a vision in my mind of an old Thai lady dropping a scoop of rice on the plate as it passes in front of her.

We took a 20 pound bag of rice and portioned up into 40 or so small bags. The rice was dry of course.

Because to Christians, it would be strange for Buddhists to participate in their ceremonies. Buddhists are only welcomed if they are converted.

I have a Christian Church near me, I don't think Buddhist folk go out of their way to put anything on the plate there.....................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Why would they? 96% Buddhist and you don't much care for Thai people do you? See what is nice about this thread is one can identify all the people who have or will have problems in Thailand.

You, the tiny little minority, expect the overwhelming majority to pay attention to you. It's funny. When in the country of squint eyed people best squint (old Thai proverb).

My ''care'' for Thai folk has nothing to do with their religious thoughts, same as Thai Buddhists have nooooooooooooooooo interaction religion wise with Thai Muslims........rolleyes.gif .....................coffee1.gif ...............gawd................facepalm.gif

• Like 1

You are a fantastic and admirable human being, a beacon of virtue and you of course morally way, way above me.

Please accept my apology for my audacity to even answer to your OP.

We are all beneath you and it is an honor to have you here on Thai Visa and we all are grateful that you shine such a bright light on us.

In the hours to come, you will face a sh1tstorm from those, telling you that you are full of it!

If would give a hoot about you or any religion, I would pray for your strength to get through it, but istead I will just go on with my imperfect life!

96% of Thailand is culturally Buddhist. It's not about religion. It is about Thai culture. You are opposed to Thai culture. Today is a Thai tradition. If you didn't go you missed it. Loy Krathong and Son Kran are also Thai traditions. You are not well acquainted with Thai culture which is bound to make your life in Thailand more difficult and less happy.

You don't know the importance Thais place on Today because you don't respect the culture. OK. Up to you.

I live in Thailand. I like Thailand. A big part of that is understanding Thai traditions and respecting them.

Today was an opportunity for any Farang to do a little bit to impress the Thai community we are not as bad as the press leads them to believe.

What part of "I don't give a f@#$ what you think", didn't you get?!

I believe it the nature of a forum like this to reply to a comment which is what I did. Your reply I believe would be called a flame. In any event I am endeavoring to reply to you in hopes you may learn something about Thai culture as unfortunately some Thais paint us all with the same brush. If you don't care to learn about Thai culture why did you reply to me in the first place?

• Like 1