I need a web developer to help migrate a wordpress site

Sarathi

I have a wordpress site (under 3GB in size) and need to migrate it to a different server. I have a cpanel backup.

Anyone know a decent guy who can do this for me? There was some issue about 'permalinks' I was not sure about so I don't want to try and do it myself.

Thanks

Are you keeping the same domain name and database? If so this should be trivial - simply a matter of copying the files and redirecting the domain name. I did it myself a couple of years ago. It only took a few minutes and zero problems.

Why do you think there may be issues with permalinks?

Are you keeping the same domain name and database? If so this should be trivial - simply a matter of copying the files and redirecting the domain name. I did it myself a couple of years ago. It only took a few minutes and zero problems.

You can do that for a regular website but it is absolutely impossible to migrate a WP site as easily as that. Not only do you need to transfer all the files but you also need to transfer the content of the MySQL database after having set up a new one on the new server. And you have to scan the entire database and rewrite any hard links and WP config links in it as they will not be correct. You have to do the same in the WP config files and if the theme has been modified you may have to check for hard links in the php files also. This can all be done manually or there are various tools and plugins that will do it, or parts of it, with more or less success. WP permalinks in themselves are not an issue as they can be rebuilt easily after the migration, if needed. There may be migration issues with some WP plugins but these are easy to fix.

also, the new server's configuration might be different, so this might require extra tweaking, for example PHP settings, apache settings, other security mod settings, etc. for example, "permalinks" were mentioned, I guess this means mod_rewrite

Thanks. But can anyone point me to someone who I can pay to do this for me?

You mean you haven't had a hundred offers by PM already? Wow.

Have all the underemployed farang "website designers" here landed good jobs in the TEFL/Real Estate trades? Or have they all just cleared off to China/Myanmar/Cambodia?

I'm retired so that let's me out. I'd probably be too expensive anyway.

Thanks. But can anyone point me to someone who I can pay to do this for me?

You mean you haven't had a hundred offers by PM already? Wow.

Have all the underemployed farang "website designers" here landed good jobs in the TEFL/Real Estate trades? Or have they all just cleared off to China/Myanmar/Cambodia?

I'm retired so that let's me out. I'd probably be too expensive anyway.

I guess the offers were too expensive :)

Sarathi, where are you located?

How much are you willing to pay?

I'm expecting 1500 baht per hour, and I agree to do it while you are watching.

• Like 1

That is the standard way to do backup and migrate. It all depends on your site of course if you need to do additional corrections. But exporting your posts is half or more than half of your migeation. And it's not a plugin, it's a standard wp tool. I've moved quite a few of my blogs with this tool.

Sent from my SM-P901 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by sniffdog

That is the standard way to do backup and migrate. It all depends on your site of course if you need to do additional corrections. But exporting your posts is half or more than half of your migeation. And it's not a plugin, it's a standard wp tool. I've moved quite a few of my blogs with this tool.

I am aware that exporting to XML is not a plug-in but I would not describe it as a "standard" way to either backup or move a WP site, except perhaps for the most basic of sites.

It can (just about) export your posts which as you point out are only part of the site, and are in fact the easiest part to deal with.

The problems arise with all the plugs-in, settings, adjustments and changes to specific themes and files that may have been made to a complex site. XML just cant handle this.