Accident prevention group calls for alcohol-free Songkran

webfact

SONGKRAN

Thanapat Kitjakosol
The Nation

The Accident Prevention Network is campaigning for an alcohol-free and accident-free Songkran.

BANGKOK: -- Alcohol consumption is a common cause of road accidents and fighting over the Thai New Year, when people like to enjoy Songkran festivities.

Millions of Thais celebrate the festival in mid-April each year. "We have recommended three main measures to relevant organisations," the network's director Prommin Kantiya said.

The three measures are Zoning, No Sitting Idly, and Stop Staying Indifferent.

Prommin said Zoning means that when an area is declared alcohol-free for Songkran, a clear announcement should be posted and a work panel established to enforce the ban. In addition to officials, volunteers should also be recruited to help.

Several famous areas for Songkran celebrations in Bangkok such as Khao San Road should be declared alcohol free, he said.

Prommin said the ban on alcohol sales at petrol stations and along roads during the holiday break should also be strictly enforced.

"No Sitting Idly" refers to the need for officials to actively man checkpoints and operate service centres.

"During the Songkran Festival, we usually have more than 3,000 checkpoints and service centres in the country," Prommin said. "So let's make the utmost use of them. Officials or volunteers assigned to these spots should not simply sit idle inside their tents."

He also encouraged executives and senior officials to survey the checkpoints and service centres to follow up on progress and offer moral support to those manning them.

"Stop Staying Indifferent" is recommended to engage all sectors of society.

"Don't wait for the government to handle this mission alone. The government has limited resources," Prommin said.

He noted that for a safe and alcohol-free Songkran to occur, families should also play a role.

"Please teach your children to drive safely," he said while warning against drunk driving and splashing water on vehicles. Road accidents kill more than 23,000 people in Thailand each year.

Visanu Srithawongse, of the Stop Drink Network, said that alcohol producers never give compensation to victims killed or injured by drunk drivers.

"We in fact have found out that alcohol businesses have enjoyed much brisker trade during Songkran festivals," he said.
A survey by his network found that 78 per cent of 6,700 respondents want a ban on alcohol sales during festivals.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-05

But No Sitting Idly and Stop Staying Indifferent are contrary to the heart of Thainess.

The best way to stop morons throwing buckets of water at passing motorcyclists is... obviously... to ban water.

A water-free Songkran wai2.gif

• Like 1

The annual exercise in futility tarted up with fancy words and which will, as usual, achieve nothing.

I've no doubt many of those involved are sincere but they should know by now it falls on deaf ears starting with the government officials at all tiers and ending up with those on the roads who insist on driving while drunk, speeding etc and those who think it's part of Songkran fun to throw buckets of water in the faces of motorcyclists.

" No Sitting idly ' won't sway those from my local municipal offices who man a canopy covered area every year and do nothing but eat, sleep, talk, read and of course earn lots of lovely O/T.

• Like 1

sure , what about ban alcohol all year around ? The cause of all accidents are not the alcohol but the drivers who doesnt have any knowledge in driving and courtesy on roads... it shouldnt be to hard to understand. Ban alcohol wont resolve the problem ... coffee1.gif

• Like 1

This sounds too much like TAT logic/thinking. A load of pugwash.

Do they realize how stupid they sound, Alcohol free??? They couldn't control a game of marbles, pray how do you enforce this ?? buy 60 million handcuffs/iron masks for 1 week and have everyone wear them.

Stop petrol stations from selling (7-11) on main roads. I suggest anyone being stupid / drunk during the new year, and using more than 1 liter of water a day--JAIL, This suggestion is no more stupid than theirs.

Leave suspended at all medical centers/hospitals, mortuary attendants on overtime double pay. Enjoy your new year, but grow up.

• Like 1

SONGKRAN

How dare they propose something like that? The CAPO chief Chalerm will surely take an immediate action to target this 'crazy' organization and their silly proposal. Alcohol free Songkran has been designed to undermine the government and CAPO functionality.

On a more serious note, the idea is great but it's unworkable in Thailand. We keep witnessing it, year in and year out. No matter what, rivers of alcohol keep flowing freely during the Songkran celebration. Prohibition never works. Anyway the proposal directly affects Chalerm.

SONGKRAN

How dare they propose something like that? The CAPO chief Chalerm will surely take an immediate action to target this 'crazy' organization and their silly proposal. Alcohol free Songkran has been designed to undermine the government and CAPO functionality.

On a more serious note, the idea is great but it's unworkable in Thailand. We keep witnessing it, year in and year out. No matter what, rivers of alcohol keep flowing freely during the Songkran celebration. Prohibition never works. Anyway the proposal directly affects Chalerm.

His garden shed will be stacked with booze, no problem for him if there was a blanket ban.

Stupid,

Just get the cops to go after offenders not punish everyone. Set up roadblocks and mobile roadblocks and really fine the cops. Have some cops from other districts check if cops are doing their jobs. (biggest problem corrupt cops).

Because if they ban alcohol then they have to check the ban anyway.

"Prommin said the ban on alcohol sales at petrol stations and along roads during the holiday break should also be strictly enforced."

Are petrol stations really allowed to sell alcohol? How stupid can you get? Oh.. sorry, I forgot, it's Thailand.

Ban the sale of alcohol - oh, please don't make me laugh. While Songkrang is a magnet for gross stupidity and childish behaviour by Farangs as well as Thais, there's always going to be casualties by the very nature of the festivities.

Banning Songkran itself would work better, but as that's never going to happen any sensible older person (who is not in the youthful spirit) would lock themselves away with a couple of crates of booze and watch old movies on TV until it's all over.

Main rule - walk everywhere if you have to - never ride a bike or drive a car or get in any kind of bus/taxi/tuk-tuk. Then you have a chance of living to the next one.

I'll expect to receive plenty of 'get a life type' responses, and my reply is that's what I'm trying to do and if you want to join in the mayhem, and suffer the consequences, it's up to you.

• Like 1

The total disrespect of the laws used to happen in the Middle East and still does in some of those countries. In one country driving too fast and in a dangerous manner was the norm until the the police increased the fines. using a cell phone whilst driving as as low as US$50 now it is 300 and the accidents has decreased.

Thailand has all the laws it could ever need. Trouble is the laws are not enforced. Make a law then dont enforce it just makes the law makers look like fools

• Like 1

But No Sitting Idly and Stop Staying Indifferent are contrary to the heart of Thainess.

The best way to stop morons throwing buckets of water at passing motorcyclists is... obviously... to ban water.

A water-free Songkran wai2.gif

The pathetically inane remark that you open with is evidence of a need to feel "one up" on other people. In this case I suspect it is due to a well earned lack of credibility and respect received by human society.

This conclusion supported by your "glib" suggestion of a water free water festival. :wai2:

no need to ban alcohol. need to have effective policing and prosecution of drunk drivers and anyone behaving in a way likely to cause a road traffic accident e.g. throwing water at a moving motorcycle or vehicle. oh but sorry, songkran just wouldn't be 'sanook' if you weren't allowed to cause road traffic accidents and kill people...

• Like 2

....cue the mealy mouthed TV puritans "If you can't last a fortnight without a drink, then you should go home..."

Drink all you can all you can,just have a problem with the idiots who then drive home (as a driver). Police should get real tough on those.

Why punish everyone with an alcohol ban when its the drunk drivers they should arrest. Some moving roadblocks and unmarked cars ect. With police from other districts checking on the ones who do the test (rule out a bit of corruption)

But i doubt it will happen.But it would require the same police manpower as enforcing a total alcohol ban (maybe less)

Lmao.

Banning alcohol is so crazy its dangerous, they tried that in the US once, didn't they

My favorite part of this irrelevant article is the bit advising that parents teach their children how to drive safely... "Heres the keys little Johnny"... Really?

But you gotta love em for trying, as even one live saved is a good thing.

Ban the sale of alcohol - oh, please don't make me laugh. While Songkrang is a magnet for gross stupidity and childish behaviour by Farangs as well as Thais, there's always going to be casualties by the very nature of the festivities.

Banning Songkran itself would work better, but as that's never going to happen any sensible older person (who is not in the youthful spirit) would lock themselves away with a couple of crates of booze and watch old movies on TV until it's all over.

Main rule - walk everywhere if you have to - never ride a bike or drive a car or get in any kind of bus/taxi/tuk-tuk. Then you have a chance of living to the next one.

I'll expect to receive plenty of 'get a life type' responses, and my reply is that's what I'm trying to do and if you want to join in the mayhem, and suffer the consequences, it's up to you.

As someone who normally remains in Bangkok and drives, I can tell you the first thing that used to go through my mind was to see how fast I could get from point A to point B when there is little traffic. I changed after seeing more blood on the road than I have seen in any country. There are many more drunk motorcycle drivers with 4 pilled on than normal, and not a Songkran passes where I don't see dead bodies strewn on Bangkok roads.

For me, now when I drive, I go slow and I mean slow. I no longer care about how long it takes to go from point A to point B. I just hope there are less dead bodies from one year to the next.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Sighs... every year, the same drivel. The more you stop the flow of alcohol, the more the demand for it will be, and the more intense its consumption when people finally get their hands on it. No doubt, the intention is good. But the best solution to this is to step up enforcement - isn't that easier than all this educational scrap which falls on deaf ears anyway. Up the enforcement, impose stiff fines, no exception and it should be done... all year round.

Huh??? What??? Oh sorry... this is Thailand. I forgot. Never mind. Forget my post. OK... alcohol free whatever... blah blah blah... yay yay yay... whistling.gif

The usual MO of incompetent administrations is: Problems ? let's ban something ! I've no doubt given the current Thai government a prohibition will be tried. The moonshine runners are probably already gearing up, should do wonders to the country's local brewing industries, I recommend it.

Last year's death toll was 321, or 46 deaths per day. The normal daily average is 38 traffic deaths per day. Therefore, statistically, it isn't really any more dangerous to drive during Songkran than during a regular day.

Edited by otherstuff1957

"Please teach your children to drive safely," he said while warning against drunk driving and splashing water on vehicles. Road accidents kill more than 23,000 people in Thailand each year.

Hope this is a mis-quote and he means behave safely throwing water at cars. In any event the Accident Prevention Network have completely the wrong approach. Rather than trying to ban alcohol, which is utterly unachievable or realistic, they should be campaignig for responsible actions, THROUGHOUT THE YEAR, not just holidays. Yes more people get killed at festive times, becasue there are more cars on the road, not because dad had a drink or 3. People should be taught that they should not drink and drive. They could be encouraged by little incentives like mandatory 1-3 year driving bans, not being able to get car insurance after the ban, and for the serious imbibers, 3 months in prison. Seems to work in other countries. look how road deaths have fallen in Europe over the past 20 years in spite of there being many more cars on the road.