Per sq/metre build costs 2014

I completely agree Wolfman...

My original post was what our builder quoted; 10,000/sq.m. he builds and he buys all materials, 2,500/sq.m. he builds and we supply all materials.

We have gone with the 2,500/sq.m. option

This means that we can purchase and supply the materials of the quality we desire, rather than the minimum standard the builder would purchase in order to maximise his profit.

We do,however, appear to have found a good and honest builder. He is very amenable to our suggestions and requirements so we are working together amicably.

Where he does purchase materials, he is honest enough to hand on the the original un-inflated bill.

So, we think we will finish up with a build to our specification and standard well within his original quote of 10,000/sq m. However, time will tell.

Post Script: I was considering starting a thread following our build. However, with negative/hypercritical posters such as JesseFrank et al, around, I'm not so sure. I'll have to give it some thought.

Lol, I built a house for 3000 Baht/sqm and used 24 mm galavanized rebar and 450 steng concrete all around. Positive enough for you ?

I encourage you to start a thead, because if you end up with a completed house at 10.000 Bht/sqm, using the materials you quoted in your post e.g 16 mm rebar and 320 Steng Cpac concrete allover, I will call you superman.

@ Wolfmanjack, the reference to the 10 million showhouse wasn't to say I could cry as it was so superb in finishing, I could cry because it was a standard I wouldn't want to live in.

Edited by JesseFrank

My original post was what our builder quoted; 10,000/sq.m. he builds and he buys all materials, 2,500/sq.m. he builds and we supply all materials.

This means that we can purchase and supply the materials of the quality we desire, rather than the minimum standard the builder would purchase in order to maximise his profit.

We do,however, appear to have found a good and honest builder. He is very amenable to our suggestions and requirements so we are working together amicably.

Where he does purchase materials, he is honest enough to hand on the the original un-inflated bill.

So, we think we will finish up with a build to our specification and standard well within his original quote of 10,000/sq m. However, time will tell.

Post Script: I was considering starting a thread following our build. However, with negative/hypercritical posters such as JesseFrank et al, around, I'm not so sure. I'll have to give it some thought.

Lol, I built a house for 3000 Baht/sqm and used 24 mm galavanized rebar and 450 steng concrete all around. Positive enough for you ?

I encourage you to start a thead, because if you end up with a completed house at 10.000 Bht/sqm, using the materials you quoted in your post e.g 16 mm rebar and 320 Steng Cpac concrete allover, I will call you superman.

@ Wolfmanjack, the reference to the 10 million showhouse wasn't to say I could cry as it was so superb in finishing, I could cry because it was a standard I wouldn't want to live in.

With all your experience, why do you not offer some constructive (sic) advice instead of the posting snide comments followed by "I built a house...blah, blah, blah" trying to dispel the puerile aloof impression your posts have created.

With all your experience, why do you not offer some constructive (sic) advice instead of the posting snide comments followed by "I built a house...blah, blah, blah" trying to dispel the puerile aloof impression your posts have created.

I offered some very constructive advice already when I said that building a house to western standards at 10.500 Baht a sqm is a joke.

That is unless of course you consider aluminium windows where the wind blows through,electrics without earthing and wires that run over the ceiling without conduit, hardwood doors that are next to impossible to stain properly and 99 Baht floor tiles western standard.

I live here long time and haven't often seen a house build to western standards in Thailand . For example A-grade Cotto tiles, which is about the best that is available here, you wouldn't be able to sell in Europe to tile a horse stable.

As a guide approx. prices in Chiang Mai...

Builder supplies materials and builds.....10,000 baht/sq. meter

You supply materials and builder builds...2,500 baht/sq, meter

Original Post

Folks,

Does anyone know the estimated build costs for a detached 2 story house in the Chon Buri region?

I also want to know how pools are priced

SJ

Where has building to Western Standards for 10,000 baht/sq. meter been mentioned? Certainly not by me and not by the OP. So to say that a Western Standard house for 10,500/sq.m. is not possible answers no question asked here.
I'm with WolfmanJack, I want a functional, sturdy, safe house to live in, where I have control over the quality of build and the materials used, not a "Country Life" glossy mag. show house.
tara, tarra taarraa, (bugle call) The "Last Post" from me
  • Like 2

SJ

Where has building to Western Standards for 10,000 baht/sq. meter been mentioned? Certainly not by me and not by the OP. So to say that a Western Standard house for 10,500/sq.m. is not possible answers no question asked here.
tara, tarra taarraa, (bugle call) The "Last Post" from me

Good that this is your last post, because it seems that your reading knowledge is at the same level as your building knowledge. As soon as you mentioned that you used 16 mm steel and 320 steng Cpac concrete all over the house at a cost of 10.000 Bht/sqm for a finished house, it was clear that your were talking out of your arse. Even with the normal used materials of 210 steng concrete and 12 mm steel, where many parts actually require only 6 and 9 mm, it would already have been difficult to finish at that price. Yet your material cost is at least 50% higher than normal.

In case you missed who said that he built higher than western standard at 10.500 Bht/sqm, the quotes are below. Actually you should have know as you gave it a like in your euphoria .

agreed! I just completed my home office at 10500 per sq mt

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

mine was finished better than western

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

I want a functional, sturdy, safe house to live in, where I have control over the quality of build and the materials used, not a "Country Life" glossy mag. show house.

Read, I can't afford a half decent house .

Edited by JesseFrank

OK..based on your expert advise:-

"I built a house for 3000 Baht/sqm and used 24 mm galavanized rebar and 450 steng concrete all around"

I should up materials specification and save money.

Also, re-read my early post:-

"My original post was what our builder quoted; 10,000/sq.m. he builds and he buys all materials, 2,500/sq.m. he builds and we supply all materials.

We have gone with the 2,500/sq.m. option"

OK..based on your expert advise:-

"I built a house for 3000 Baht/sqm and used 24 mm galavanized rebar and 450 steng concrete all around"

I should up materials specification and save money.

Also, re-read my early post:-

"My original post was what our builder quoted; 10,000/sq.m. he builds and he buys all materials, 2,500/sq.m. he builds and we supply all materials.

We have gone with the 2,500/sq.m. option"

No need to take a post of mine out of it's context to make your point.

You claimed you choose the 2500 Bht/sqm labor only option, as that would mean you could choose better materials and probably end up below the total of 10.000 Bht/sqm finishing .

Looks like you are backtracking on your claims already.

That's for an open carport i assume coffee1.gif

Honestly you ever build something or you just got this from your mate on the barstool next to you ?

don't be so rude. Ask first. I had a project home built last year. 168 sq mtrs. It was 10500 per sq mtr all inclusive and its a fantastic job. Better than back,home in oz. Btw, my dad is a builder back home so I,learned a bit along the way.

This is a fair estimate in Chiang Mai and the builder of my house does work in chon buri for 1500 baht a sq mtr extra.

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

I don't want to be rude, but I built a house about 5 years ago, 172 sqm walled,, 330 Sqm under roof, that includes carport, walkways and terraces

Only my uPvc windows and exterior doors were 450.000 Baht. That is almost 2700 Bht/sqm . My floors were on average 700 Baht/sqm including labor, That is less than half of the normal price since I bought end of stock lots.

My rooftiles, straight from the factory, were after 28% discount 265.000 Baht. That doesn't include labor or any steelwork yet.

If you calculate only these 3 items you will notice that we are at 4940 Bht/sqm already, and not a single brick, bag of cement or worker paid for yet. Also keep in mind that prices of everything have risen a fair bit in the past 5 years

I really want to see those better than western standards you got for 10.500 Bht/sqm.

CPAC fitted my roof in Hua Han last October. Albeit a fairly plain, L shaped design (with a few ornamental additions) needing 390 msq of ceramic tiles. The price: 490,000 THB, inclusive of all steel-works and warranty.

Doors and windows cost 245,000 THB. A combination of; hardwood [teak (external door)], hardwood interior doors and UPVC (all windows except bathrooms).

Floors were 370 THB msq.

The price of materials hasn't risen that much. Indeed some items are actually cheaper than 5 years ago.

If you have the skills to project manage a build for yourself, then do so. If you hire a builder to manage your build, 40 - 50% of the price quoted instantly goes into their pocket.

Jerry

• Like 2

There is no doubt that you can get sub 10k/m2, there is also no doubt that the sky's the limit with 25k+ not being that unusual.

We paid about 20k/m2 in 2011, our contractor is building similar homes this year at about 23k/m2.

According to AA Insurance the 'average' is about 15k/m2 although that has to vary with location.

This link is quite informative.

http://www.thaiappraisal.org/english/the2001/default.php

I'd still like opinion on pricing up pools but I might be better doing that on the pool forum

Indeed an interesting link. It shows that a LOW quality detached house construction would cost 11.200 Baht/sqm. We all know that since this is from a Thai foundation the construction will be to Thai standards, and for Thai people.

Lucky that most posters in this thread can get a BETTER than western standard build for less than that coffee1.gif

cost12_eng.gif

• 3 weeks later...

We're just about complete with our house build, windows should be fitted by this weekend, then it's the finishing off of the electrics,, the builder gave us a total labour cost of 740,000 for if I remember around 215 internal sq mtr, wife sourced all materials, the all in sq mtr price should be somewhere in between 12 and 12.5k, all local workers, mind you I'm in Central region and I'd imagine cost like for like maybe a wee bit cheaper there than the OP's location,

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Friend built three bungalows in CR the last year or two for ca 7000/sqm all in with him buying materials included.……he thinks can certainly still be done for under 8000 now.

very acceptable quality without being superluxury.

CPAC tile roof, large rectified floor tiles, windows indeed white aluminium but at a condo I own the windows are aluminium and 22 years old and they seal perfectly and the rubber is even still rubbery.

Money saved on the kitchen……units built of brick and mortar with stone top and tile facing and ready made pairs of doors fitted. Is this substandard? I don't think so.

Above standard ceiling heights at 2.8metres.

Running electrical pylons some hundred metres included, and drilling for water, pumps etc.

Site walls included three sides fence at front.

I've seen his pricing, it's fact.

Edited by cheeryble
  • Like 2

That's for an open carport i assume coffee1.gif

Honestly you ever build something or you just got this from your mate on the barstool next to you ?

One of the usual suspects...OK, where are your prices? Where is your helpful advise to the OP?

We are currently building a three bed two story medium sized villa using the second method...paying 2,500 per sq. meter and buying the best materials. We are up to the 2nd floor so far and have used 16mm SD40 rebar and CPAC ST320 concrete.

Maybe YOU should go back to talking to your mate on the bar stool next to you instead of trying to be a smart arse poster on here.

paying 2,500 per sq. meter and buying the best materials.

cheesy.gif

• 1 month later...

I have built 4 town homes in Surat thani, builde supply labour only which is very very limited on people and skill at 3000bht per 1 m/s

Now we try to build home and we had a quote fromm two builders he supply all material as per drawing fo r2 level home at 11 000 bht for part of the house inside walls, for open verandah, garage and laundry at 6000bht m/s where other builder for same is 12 000 bht, and 6000 bht m/s.

one we know about as family friend at 12 000bht m/s other we don't know but we did look at his projects over last 18 months and he is doing OK.

This includes all electrical, roof material plumbing, bathrooms WC and kitchen we listed from catalogue.

Now we waiting for contract from them to be formalised and signed in Thai and English.

We will see

Talk is cheap.

I would prefer to build under my supervision but hard to find workers in bulding industry that will stay for long or not steal from you.

That is a factit happen to builders too, steel just gone over night.

• 2 weeks later...

How much for one of these in chiangmai? I included a picture just to get an idea.

L - shaped building,10 units, each unit I assume is 4m x 4m so I'm looking at 16sqm room x 10 rooms = 160sqm livable space, is my calculations correct?

160sqm x 12,000 baht = 2million baht? I know its a very rough calculation, but to build a 10 unit very basic building will cost me 2m baht for turnkey building?

Nothing fancy, low- to midgrade material, basic cheap tiles, cheap toilets, sinks, lights, etc...you get the idea.

post-55256-0-54454600-1403205998_thumb.j

Edited by tangcoral

How much for one of these in chiangmai? I included a picture just to get an idea.

L - shaped building,10 units, each unit I assume is 4m x 4m so I'm looking at 16sqm room x 10 rooms = 160sqm livable space, is my calculations correct?

160sqm x 12,000 baht = 2million baht? I know its a very rough calculation, but to build a 10 unit very basic building will cost me 2m baht for turnkey building?

Nothing fancy, low- to midgrade material, basic cheap tiles, cheap toilets, sinks, lights, etc...you get the idea.

Something like this is not directly comparable to house building prices, because normally a 160sqm house won't have 10 bathrooms (which are much more expensive to finish per sqm than an empty room)... And I'm also pretty sure you'll find that these aren't 4x4m (hard to tell from the photo) because it's pretty much impossible to make a working bathroom less than 1.5M wide including walls (1.3M internal), which would in turn leave a pretty small room...

Maybe an extra 500-1000 Baht/sqm to cover the high number of bathrooms, and don't forget to calculate in the common areas (staircase, balconies etc).

sorry, thank you for pointing that out as I failed to mention that these units have a community shared bathroom. Would my calculations be reasonable now?

So I'll probably add another 100K for the bathrooms. 2.1mil and add another 400K for over runs = 2.5million reasonable?

Edited by tangcoral

sorry, thank you for pointing that out as I failed to mention that these units have a community shared bathroom. Would my calculations be reasonable now?

So I'll probably add another 100K for the bathrooms. 2.1mil and add another 400K for over runs = 2.5million reasonable?

Sounds very doable.

Dependent on kitchen whcih If u have a communal bathroom I doubt you have much of, and roofing if sheet or small tile, If these are low end rentals it sounds high I'd add nothing is subtract

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Edited by cheeryble