Per sq/metre build costs 2014

As a guide approx. prices in Chiang Mai...

Builder supplies materials and builds.....10,000 baht/sq. meter

You supply materials and builder builds...2,500 baht/sq, meter

That's for an open carport i assume coffee1.gif

Honestly you ever build something or you just got this from your mate on the barstool next to you ?

In fact THB 9,500 for two storey is about right albeit very basic tiling etc. Would be PCC blocks but no Dpac inside. Limited aircon and hot shower supplies.

that is the same sort of price we have been getting quoted in hua hin too, for a 4 bed, 3 bathroom bungalow

That's for an open carport i assume coffee1.gifI

Honestly you ever build something or you just got this from your mate on the barstool next to you ?

A fool and his money are soon parted

• Like 1

In fact THB 9,500 for two storey is about right albeit very basic tiling etc. Would be PCC blocks but no Dpac inside. Limited aircon and hot shower supplies.

Even included basic aircon for that price ?

That mean it must also have windows, doors etc . Now tell me this is also double wall and I gonna beg you for that builders phone number.

Aww... What's up? Been overpriced?

Aww... What's up? Been overpriced?

I suspect JesseFrank just used good/best quality materials ;)

Even included basic aircon for that price ?

That mean it must also have windows, doors etc . Now tell me this is also double wall and I gonna beg you for that builders phone number.

Ditto my previous post...

One of the usual suspects...OK, where are your prices? Where is your helpful advise to the OP?

We are currently building a three bed two story medium sized villa using the second method...paying 2,500 per sq. meter and buying the best materials. We are up to the 2nd floor so far and have used 16mm SD40 rebar and CPAC ST320 concrete.

Maybe YOU should go back to talking to your mate on the bar stool next to you instead of trying to be a smart arse poster on here.

With the use of all 16mm sd40 rebar and 320steng Cpac concrete the price is even a bigger surprise.

So tell us something more. Are the prices you mention an overall average price, that means walled and open under roof areas are calculated at the same price ?

Is your house double inner and outer walls, does it include windows, doors, floors and if so which quality of these ?

One of the usual suspects...OK, where are your prices? Where is your helpful advise to the OP?

We are currently building a three bed two story medium sized villa using the second method...paying 2,500 per sq. meter and buying the best materials. We are up to the 2nd floor so far and have used 16mm SD40 rebar and CPAC ST320 concrete.

Maybe YOU should go back to talking to your mate on the bar stool next to you instead of trying to be a smart arse poster on here.

One point of note is that in CNX, most worker are Burmese being paid next to nothing... that 2,500/sqm is going to be next to impossible to replicate in the rest of the country - more like 4,000 +/- 500 per sqm in the rest of TH.

Buying your own materials is the best way to handle everything... because then you can be sure what you're getting, no shortcuts are going to be taken behind your back, and you're not paying loaded prices. Just make sure your workers don't get too excited and start over-spec'ing the quantities of product you need to order... and keep a daily watch on the materials used to make sure there's no shrinkage.

10K/sqm is completely doable if buying your own materials, even with higher rest-of-TH labor prices, but doesn't allow for high quality finishes of course.

P.S. who engineered your house and spec'd RB16 everywhere? Even for 2 storey and 4M post spans, you'd only normally need RB16 for an overhang beam, or sometimes for beams supporting the staircase - ground beams, footings and all posts would still normally only use RB12... Using RB16 when it's not necessary just increases your steel costs by around +65% for no real benefit.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

It's the same labour force everywhere

No it's not, most areas of the country there are practically zero Burmese. In some areas you can have *every* worker on site knowing what they're doing.. in other areas you'll be lucky to hire a handful of experienced workers and will be forced to top up the head count with next to useless laborers (who still want 300/B/day).. But yes, areas with higher cost of living, workers will want more money - hardly a shock? :)

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

I built a 160 sm house just last year.

I hired the contractor for 250,000 baht for all labor.

I purchased all of the materials myself.

I did not know the numbers for the metal but i purchased the most expensive steel for the ceiling and roof and the most expensive for the floors/walls.

I used bricks for the walls with cement rendering over the bricks and the medium priced paint.

6 inch thick cpac cement for the floors.

the foundation is 1 meter high with double brick walls.

the floor tiles I purchased 24 inch square C grade tiles. basically the same as the A grade but boxes have some broken tiles. I ended up having to buy about 10% more tiles than my sqm but the cost was 50% or less of the A grade price so i still saved money.

all toilets are western style.

only aircon is in master bedroom but all rooms have ceiling fans.

doors and windows are sliding glass purchased at global house.

ceiling is suspended sheet rock.

the builder said i went way overboard on the amount and quality of steel i used but my finished cost was only a million baht which ends up being only 6,250 baht per sqm.

keeping in mind i could have saved money on the steel and most likely only need 4 inch thick floors I could have gotten away with a lower price.

Nothing fancy but it is adequate for my needs and I am happy with it.

4 bedroom 2 bath.

This price did not include cost of kitchen appliances ( except the sink ) since i already had them from my old house.

I almost forgot. the price included 70,000 baht for fill dirt.

I forgot to mention that if the builder would have given me a complete materials list prior to building i could have saved money by negotiating a lower price with the suppliers.

As it was i was constantly running back and forth between global house, thai watsedu and another supplier checking prices.

Sounds excellent. We have just bought 150 talang wa in a village near Hang Dong, built a perimeter wall and raised the land level to prevent flooding - so ready to start building.

We have approved plans for a similar 160sq m house but single story. I have been quoted THB9000 a sq m, but haven't discussed paying labour costs only and buying materials myself - seems this may be the way to go.

Can I ask: what is a suspended sheet rock ceiling? It sounds better than plasterboard that can be eaten by termites?

Thank you for your useful post.

I did not know the numbers for the metal but i purchased the most expensive steel for the ceiling and roof and the most expensive for the floors/walls.

I used bricks for the walls with cement rendering over the bricks and the medium priced paint.

the floor tiles I purchased 24 inch square C grade tiles. basically the same as the A grade but boxes have some broken tiles. I ended up having to buy about 10% more tiles than my sqm but the cost was 50% or less of the A grade price so i still saved money.

the builder said i went way overboard on the amount and quality of steel i used but my finished cost was only a million baht which ends up being only 6,250 baht per sqm.

keeping in mind i could have saved money on the steel and most likely only need 4 inch thick floors I could have gotten away with a lower price.

4 bedroom 2 bath.

This price did not include cost of kitchen appliances ( except the sink ) since i already had them from my old house.

I forgot to mention that if the builder would have given me a complete materials list prior to building i could have saved money by negotiating a lower price with the suppliers.

As it was i was constantly running back and forth between global house, thai watsedu and another supplier checking prices.

Sounds excellent. We have just bought 150 talang wa in a village near Hang Dong, built a perimeter wall and raised the land level to prevent flooding - so ready to start building.

We have approved plans for a similar 160sq m house but single story. I have been quoted THB9000 a sq m, but haven't discussed paying labour costs only and buying materials myself - seems this may be the way to go.

Can I ask: what is a suspended sheet rock ceiling? It sounds better than plasterboard that can be eaten by termites?

Thank you for your useful post.

The suspended sheet rock ceiling is 4 foot x 8 foot panels of sheetrock suspended from the metal roof frames by wires and screwed to a frame. Sheetrock is the same as they use for interior walls in the USA.

here they have green boards for the bathrooms and exterior and the white boards for the interior that is not subject to high moisture.

• Like 1

4 bedroom 2 bath.

So you build a house for exactly 1 million Baht, not 1.1 or 1.2 . Only that is already an achievement.

don't be so rude. Ask first. I had a project home built last year. 168 sq mtrs. It was 10500 per sq mtr all inclusive and its a fantastic job. Better than back,home in oz. Btw, my dad is a builder back home so I,learned a bit along the way.

This is a fair estimate in Chiang Mai and the builder of my house does work in chon buri for 1500 baht a sq mtr extra.

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

• Like 1

agreed! I just completed my home office at 10500 per sq mt

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

• Like 2

don't be so rude. Ask first. I had a project home built last year. 168 sq mtrs. It was 10500 per sq mtr all inclusive and its a fantastic job. Better than back,home in oz. Btw, my dad is a builder back home so I,learned a bit along the way.

This is a fair estimate in Chiang Mai and the builder of my house does work in chon buri for 1500 baht a sq mtr extra.

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

I don't want to be rude, but I built a house about 5 years ago, 172 sqm walled,, 330 Sqm under roof, that includes carport, walkways and terraces

Only my uPvc windows and exterior doors were 450.000 Baht. That is almost 2700 Bht/sqm . My floors were on average 700 Baht/sqm including labor, That is less than half of the normal price since I bought end of stock lots.

My rooftiles, straight from the factory, were after 28% discount 265.000 Baht. That doesn't include labor or any steelwork yet.

If you calculate only these 3 items you will notice that we are at 4940 Bht/sqm already, and not a single brick, bag of cement or worker paid for yet. Also keep in mind that prices of everything have risen a fair bit in the past 5 years

I really want to see those better than western standards you got for 10.500 Bht/sqm.

• Like 2

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

I don't want to be rude, but I built a house about 5 years ago, 172 sqm walled,, 330 Sqm under roof, that includes carport, walkways and terraces

Only my uPvc windows and exterior doors were 450.000 Baht. That is almost 2700 Bht/sqm . My floors were on average 700 Baht/sqm including labor, That is less than half of the normal price since I bought end of stock lots.

My rooftiles, straight from the factory, were after 28% discount 265.000 Baht. That doesn't include labor or any steelwork yet.

If you calculate only these 3 items you will notice that we are at 4940 Bht/sqm already, and not a single brick, bag of cement or worker paid for yet. Also keep in mind that prices of everything have risen a fair bit in the past 5 years

I really want to see those better than western standards you got for 10.500 Bht/sqm.

The tile layers for my house was paid 100 baht per sm and i thought they were charging too much since the sheetrock guy charged the same amount. The sheetrock work was much more involved and harder to do and he did a much better job than the floor tile guys did.

the tiles i used in my kids room were also end of lot or c grade and they were only 99 baht per sqm so total for the kids rooms were 200 baht plus the extra cement used to lay the tiles and the grout. Neither of which were that expensive. So maybe 250 per sqm.

The tiles I used in the rest of the house were 249 per sqm with the same 100 baht per sqm labor and maybe 50 baht per sqm for cement and grout for apprx 400 per sqm.

I am not claiming higher than western standards on any of the work but 700 per sqm seems pretty high.

By the way the only burmese labor used were the tile layers. 2 men with their wives as helpers. One of the men did a pretty good job but the other was was much slower with lower quality output. the slower guy was relegated to the bedrooms since the floors there were not as important as the main living area.

The tile layers for my house was paid 100 baht per sm and i thought they were charging too much since the sheetrock guy charged the same amount. The sheetrock work was much more involved and harder to do and he did a much better job than the floor tile guys did.

the tiles i used in my kids room were also end of lot or c grade and they were only 99 baht per sqm so total for the kids rooms were 200 baht plus the extra cement used to lay the tiles and the grout. Neither of which were that expensive. So maybe 250 per sqm.

The tiles I used in the rest of the house were 249 per sqm with the same 100 baht per sqm labor and maybe 50 baht per sqm for cement and grout for apprx 400 per sqm.

I am not claiming higher than western standards on any of the work but 700 per sqm seems pretty high.

By the way the only burmese labor used were the tile layers. 2 men with their wives as helpers. One of the men did a pretty good job but the other was was much slower with lower quality output. the slower guy was relegated to the bedrooms since the floors there were not as important as the main living area.

My remark about higher than western standard wasn't directed at you, but at Marcusd, as that were exactly his words, and he said it costed him 10.500 Bht/sqm. Maybe he will later elaborate what was included in that price.

As for the floors, there are many different qualities and prices of floors, but I think 700 Bht/sqm for a floor that in the showroom cost 1850 Bht/sqm isn't overpriced. I know the full price as was 1 box short. By the way there is a difference between C-grade and end of stock A-grade. The tilers charged 125 Bht/sqm.

As another poster already pointed out, there is quality and there is quality, I know what I have and I've seen houses from project developers that cost +10 million baht for a 200 sqm house with small pool on a 400sqm plot, which almost made me cry when i looked at the finishing.

My remark about higher than western standard wasn't directed at you, but at Marcusd, as that were exactly his words, and he said it costed him 10.500 Bht/sqm. Maybe he will later elaborate what was included in that price.

As for the floors, there are many different qualities and prices of floors, but I think 700 Bht/sqm for a floor that in the showroom cost 1850 Bht/sqm isn't overpriced. I know the full price as was 1 box short. By the way there is a difference between C-grade and end of stock A-grade. The tilers charged 125 Bht/sqm.

As another poster already pointed out, there is quality and there is quality, I know what I have and I've seen houses from project developers that cost +10 million baht for a 200 sqm house with small pool on a 400sqm plot, which almost made me cry when i looked at the finishing.

Fair enough.

i do not have the kind of money it takes to get things exactly right here in thailand so i went with good enough.

The tiles i bought the only difference I could tell between the ones i bought and the grade A's were that some of the corners were chipped and a couple of tiles were broken in each box. The store labeled them as C grade so that is what i figured they were using as a grading system. they also had discontinued tiles listed at a huge discount but were limited in the number of sqm available. as a result in one bathroom i have 3 different tiles mixed together but it still looks good.

In my experience the price a person pays for what I would consider acceptable could be as low as 5,000 baht per sqm or as high as the moon.

I know a guy that budgeted 2 million for his house and ended up spending 8 million. The builder told me the reason it was so expensive is the guy kept changing his mind as to what he wanted after the fact so it had to be ripped out and redone.

The guy that paid for it all was happy because he got exactly what he wanted.

I do plan on spending more on the house in the form of kitchen upgrades but the point I was trying to make in all of my posts is that spending 10,000 baht per square meter or less is perfectly reasonable.

After all you posted

That's for an open carport i assume

Honestly you ever build something or you just got this from your mate on the barstool next to you ?”

“Even included basic aircon for that price ?”

“That mean it must also have windows, doors etc . Now tell me this is also double wall and I gonna beg you for that builders phone number.”

“So you build a house for exactly 1 million Baht, not 1.1 or 1.2 . Only that is already an achievement.

To be honest most of your posts in this thread seem antagonistic in regard to people spending 10,000 per square meter or less.

You seem to be against anyone that just wants a house to live in instead of a showpiece home fit for a magazine. As a matter of fact I used that term many times when people were trying to get me to spend more. I told them I am just trying to get something good enough to live in that isn't going to fall apart, not something for a magazine cover.

i will leave the show houses to those that can afford it.

• Like 2

After all you posted

That's for an open carport i assume

Honestly you ever build something or you just got this from your mate on the barstool next to you ?”

“Even included basic aircon for that price ?”

“That mean it must also have windows, doors etc . Now tell me this is also double wall and I gonna beg you for that builders phone number.”

“So you build a house for exactly 1 million Baht, not 1.1 or 1.2 . Only that is already an achievement.

To be honest most of your posts in this thread seem antagonistic in regard to people spending 10,000 per square meter or less.

You seem to be against anyone that just wants a house to live in instead of a showpiece home fit for a magazine. As a matter of fact I used that term many times when people were trying to get me to spend more. I told them I am just trying to get something good enough to live in that isn't going to fall apart, not something for a magazine cover.

i will leave the show houses to those that can afford it.

I completely agree Wolfman...

My original post was what our builder quoted; 10,000/sq.m. he builds and he buys all materials, 2,500/sq.m. he builds and we supply all materials.

We have gone with the 2,500/sq.m. option

This means that we can purchase and supply the materials of the quality we desire, rather than the minimum standard the builder would purchase in order to maximise his profit.

We do,however, appear to have found a good and honest builder. He is very amenable to our suggestions and requirements so we are working together amicably.

Where he does purchase materials, he is honest enough to hand on the the original un-inflated bill.

So, we think we will finish up with a build to our specification and standard well within his original quote of 10,000/sq m. However, time will tell.

Post Script: I was considering starting a thread following our build. However, with negative/hypercritical posters such as JesseFrank et al, around, I'm not so sure. I'll have to give it some thought.

Edited by rawhod
  • Like 2