TEFL jobs for the over 45s ?

Hi I'm looking to move to Bangkok In 12 months to be with my girlfriend , so the problems I envisage are by then I will be 47 & no degree . I was wondering whether a TEFL course here in Perth Australia is better or wait till arrive in Bangkok ? Plus are the chances of securing employment slim based on age & no degree ? I really need to be in Bangkok so can't go rural , appreciate any replies

Thank you

Stew

You will most likely be able to find work. If you have a TEFL you will know what you are doing in the classroom. You may have to do some looking, but it's possible.

Best of luck.

You will most likely be able to find work. If you have a TEFL you will know what you are doing in the classroom. You may have to do some looking, but it's possible.

Best of luck.

To get a work permit you will need a degree - officially - there are ways around this but you will be moving into a "gray" area.

Most private language schools employ some or all teachers illegally - their teachers either work part-time on the wrong visa or have a work permit that doesn't actually cover their work. Working around Bk the chances of getting caught are small....but it leaves you open to being informed on by anyone who takes a dislike to you.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

To work legally, you need a business visa and work permit.

These are inter-connected.

You need to apply outside Thailand for the B visa but first you'll need all the paperwork relating to the company that is employing you.

Simultaneously you need to apply for a work permit with the dept of labour....this is more or less impractical so any school worth its salt will have someone in admin/HR who will sort this out for you.

Somewhere along this line(s) you will need to show your degree - which you don't have - some schools (govt?) seem to have managed to get round this.

there are quite a few people working without degrees who have had jobs for a long time - even they get worried from time to time as you can never guarantee that some immigration Nabob may decide on a "clampdown". It also means that it can be VERY difficult to change jobs.

There are also many people teaching who have FAKE degrees - again the same applies, probably with stiffer penalties.

Edited by wilcopops

Hi Stew,

I would advise you to be careful in your choice of agency as there are many out here who prey on the teachers without both experience and degrees. Having a degree is important for the longer term as the salaries being offered are getting lower for teachers without degrees. If you want more details pm me and I will help you find a good agent for work.

Dave

Hi Stew,

I would advise you to be careful in your choice of agency as there are many out here who prey on the teachers without both experience and degrees. Having a degree is important for the longer term as the salaries being offered are getting lower for teachers without degrees. If you want more details pm me and I will help you find a good agent for work.

Dave

it's important because it's the law!

Hi Stew,

Dave

So the job you're offering him is one without the right type of visa, nor having a work permit. Then this "agent" can do with the OP what he wants.

Sorry, but that can't be a good start as a teacher in Thailand. OP states that he needs to work in Bangkok.

Might be worth to get hired as a "trainer", if the director/superiors of the school do so.

Sorry, but I do not like any agents who take a part of my monthly salary. Cheers.-wai.gif

Edited by sirchai

PS - if you want to teach English in Thailand there is one more thing that will prove invaluable....that is the urge to TEACH.

As a teacher you have a responsibility to your students and just hoping that it will give you a way of financing your stay i Thailand with your g/f is not enough.

No truer words

• Like 1

Hi Stew,

Dave

So the job you're offering him is one without the right type of visa, nor having a work permit. Then this "agent" can do with the OP what he wants.

I'm not offering him a job. I am just offering some practical help. Yes to work you need a degree but until this is achieved why let someone get screwed over by a shark agency! The OP asked for advice and I am happy to help without being judgemental regarding his degree or non degree status.

Maybe instead of looking for the negatives you could share your experience and help him also.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Hi Stew,

Dave

Sorry, but that can't be a good start as a teacher in Thailand. OP states that he needs to work in Bangkok.

Might be worth to get hired as a "trainer", if the director/superiors of the school do so.

Sorry, but I do not like any agents who take a part of my monthly salary. Cheers.-wai.gif

As stated below I am not an agent. I was merely pointing out that there are many agencies who WILL screw him over given his status. I have read my post again just to check that I didn't offer him a job and I am happy to report there was no such offer. Read it again and refrain from making assumptions based on nothing.

Hi Stew,

Dave

As stated below I am not an agent. I was merely pointing out that there are many agencies who WILL screw him over given his status. I have read my post again just to check that I didn't offer him a job and I am happy to report there was no such offer. Read it again and refrain from making assumptions based on nothing.

I apologize. It might be much better for the OP to go from school to school and seek employment as a "trainer", or "Teacher's assistant."

Reasons for are pretty easy to understand, as the OP would bypass the Khuruspa ( TCT) and would only have to deal with the labor department and Immigration,

Labor department on the other hand wouldn't be suspicions as Op had never taught on a waiver here before. Might be a good way to go and completely legal..

Good luck!-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

Thanks for alll the replies , I'm looking at TEFL in Bangkok too at least that would give me something to do when I get there & become more aware of the Thai people

Edited by Stewmac

Best of luck.

I would say it would be hard to find a job in Bangkok. So many options would not be available to you. You could start a degree course soon and work your way towards it. It will take time, but ensures you have a wider choice of work and not scraps. Bangkok is a horrible city at the best of times, it's even worse if one has no money.

I would also like to add that a TEFL cert doesn't mean he will know what to do in the classroom. It will give him some form of heads up, but to know what you are doing really only comes in time and after one lands a job.

Edited by EASYDOGG
  • Like 1

PS - if you want to teach English in Thailand there is one more thing that will prove invaluable....that is the urge to TEACH.

As a teacher you have a responsibility to your students and just hoping that it will give you a way of financing your stay i Thailand with your g/f is not enough.

I agree with this. It's all about your passion for teaching. I hope you love teaching, helping others, and seeing them learn. However, I know plenty of teachers in the USA who have this; however, they also LOVE it when they don't teach and talk more about their 60k USD salary with summers off than caring about their students. They also get benefits, etc. It's not a ton of money, but it is when compared with Thailand. So, since you getting about 7 or 8x less than USA teachers, I can understand you getting burned out at times. Ideally, of course, you are teaching without money as the main object; however, there is an opportunity cost of your time. i think teaching in Thailand is difficult in the long-term, so hopefully you have the right mind-set before you begin. Moreover, of all the teachers I know at all levels (10 in total), not one seems to really care what happens to a student 10 years from now. their responsibility is to make money for their family, and then just hope it all works out for the rest. how many times did you go back and contact your middle school or high school teacher, years later?

Hi Stew,

Dave

I apologize. It might be much better for the OP to go from school to school and seek employment as a "trainer", or "Teacher's assistant."

Reasons for are pretty easy to understand, as the OP would bypass the Khuruspa ( TCT) and would only have to deal with the labor department and Immigration,

Labor department on the other hand wouldn't be suspicions as Op had never taught on a waiver here before. Might be a good way to go and completely legal..

Good luck!-wai2.gif

Only certsn jobs are open to certain citizens - I'd be surprised if "assistant" jobs were open to anyone outside ASEAN, and "trainer

" is highly ambiguous - back into that GRAY area.

A 58 yo friend of mine recently came here permanantly from Oz to teach. He did some on-line stuff before he came, and then a local course/training and is now teaching Business English in Rayong province. It's only part time, but 2-3 hours most days at 500bt per class is enought to survive until he can get a more permanant position somewhere.

OK, I do realise you (OP) asked specifically about Bangkok, but I'm sure there'd be similar opportunities there.

...and it does seem that his age was a positive for the business English course.

Not just the urge - he needs the ability to teach English, and in a manner that works with Thai kids. The OP does not say if he has ever taught before and getting a TEFL that almost nobody can fail is a bit like getting a Thai driving licence and thinking you can drive. It should be far, far harder for foreigners wanting to teach here, no wonder the level of English in Thailand is so poor. Thai kids are being taught by Thai teachers who mostly cannot speak it, and foreigners who mostly cannot teach it effectively. My advice is do the kids a favour and don't do it.

Edited by sms747

Nothing is ever done about unqualified foreigners coming here and 'teaching' English just for their own benefit, unfortunately. You are NOT an English teacher so why do it without proper training, without a degree you will be illegally employed anyway. Would you let a novice fix your car or take care of your teeth? or teach your kids? Thailand really does not need another clueless English teacher thank you.

Edited by sms747