Tropical Storm in Ban Tri Keaw

Randell

Hello from what looks like a disaster movie set. We were hit by a Tropical Storm out of China last night. Winds hit close to 100kmph or more . The Rain when it came was just about sideways so we were getting a fair amount of leakage just from the wind pushing the water up under the roof panels. Then the hail started it went from pea sized and sounding like a machine gun or a dozen chain saws to hail the size of lemons and limes. That I can tell you was absolutely thunderous. Joy was totally really freaked out, we watched from the lee side of our house facing our rice barn and the house next door, as the hail punched multiple hole in both roofs like bb's through paper. We could hear the sounds of our roof being penetrated by the cracking noise that was different than a bouncing blow noise. It was all very intense. I was trying to keep Joy calm which by the way wasn't working very well. and worrying about the damage being inflicted all around us. We couldn't see beyond the house on ether side of us but could hear the damage being dealt out by the storm. The hail lasted around 20 to 30 minutes the yard was white with hail and even though it poured rain for another 40 minutes the ice was still mostly there when the rain stopped. Of course by this time the power had been off from early on in the storm. It was around 5 when it started and gets dark around six so it was candle light inside and flash lights trying to check damage out side. Before darkness fell I was able to ascertain most of the damage inflicted on and around us. We have in our roof 15 holes the size of lemons to grapefruit and half that many in our grain storage barn but the holes are larger. I thing due to the shallower roof pitch. We both went out to see if we could help any that were worse off than ourselves. Ended up have a small dinner by candle light. By this time Joys composure was back and she made the comment about of a romantic dinner by candlelight. By the time we finished eating the power had come back on . But were both exhausted by the whole adventure went to bed. This morning was able to get the full extent of the damage incurred on and around us. There were more holes than originally counted but we seemed to get of lightly compared to most. Our roof sheathing being still relatively new on our house still had more integral strength than the same material that was 10 or 20 years older. Most of the houses in our village use a kind of cement board corrugated sheathing panel about 1 meter by 1/2 meter . Ours is paint treated which I thing gives it a tiny bit of strength but the rest and most common is the grey plain cement color. Everywhere I drove this morning all I could see was people ether pulling plastic tarps over for temporary relief. Or replacing the sheathing itself. Every one joins in. Because mine had so little damage comparatively I won't be able to get mine fixed for some time while the houses that have been totally deroofed are repaired . I haven't even gone out to drive around our fields because I have had all the bad news I can take for a day or two. We are both fine Joy was a bit shook up but bounced back quickly. Her sister is quite sore today as she got caught out in the hail with no hat or any other protection so has goose eggs all over her head and bruising on her back. From what I understand that is about the extent of our injuries so we as a village go way with out any fatalities .Some smaller poorer villages have not been so lucky. We will know more with the news coverage today. But there is over a million Baht damage just in our village with out even looking at the rice crops Rand

ps one moment of comic relief during the most intense bit of hail was a crazy person with a cooking pan over her head running around out side till some one called her into there house. From the sound of the hail hitting the pan I wouldn't be surprised if she can hear anything today

• Like 2

Normally your Pu Yai Baan (Po Luang) will check and ask how many tiles you need to replace. These are then supplied free by local government. It only applied to standard corrugated cement fibre tiles though and you have to do the labour yourself.

Good luck

• Like 2

Normally your Pu Yai Baan (Po Luang) will check and ask how many tiles you need to replace. These are then supplied free by local government. It only applied to standard corrugated cement fibre tiles though and you have to do the labour yourself.

Good luck

Thank you....I really need luck to deal with this...It is raining again now...

I had bad damage to a glass wall last year. This year I bought insurance. Living much more securely in that knowledge this year.

Speak to Khun Tim at the lotus flower bank.

Also replace old sheets with metal sheet. It dents, but it doesn't break.

• Like 2

Government initiative: The local Ampur officers came around the village the other day and inspected damaged houses from the hail storm. Some of the hail stones were quite large (4-5 cms) my wife told me. Our roof was assessed: photos, notes taken etc and they will be replacing over 340 tiles. I will hire the labor for the repairs

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Government initiative: The local Ampur officers came around the village the other day and inspected damaged houses from the hail storm. Some of the hail stones were quite large (4-5 cms) my wife told me. Our roof was assessed: photos, notes taken etc and they will be replacing over 340 tiles. I will hire the labor for the repairs

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Apologies all,

I need to retract / update 'the replacing my house tiles' comment. I have since found out that our Aussie tiled roof survived virtually unscathed ( a couple of chipped tiles). It was the granny flat (sic: house) that was mortored by the hail. I gently reminded my lovely wife that when she says 'the house', to me means the main house and not the granny flat in the back. The granny flat in the back has the fibro-crete style tiles which the government is replacing in the next few days.

Cheers,

Garry