Applying for Thai Tourist Visa in neighboring countries or

Hello,

I'm an American citizen, I need to get to Thailand soon. Due to my circumstances I don't have time to send out my passport for a tourist visa and wait 2-4 weeks to get it back. So I'm posting here to see if anyone has had a similar experience or an answer to my question.

Could I go to thailand(30 day visa exempt) and then before my 30 days are up, go to Malaysia or Cambodia, any neighboring country to apply for a tourist visa back into thailand? I need to stay in thailand for a few months but right now I don't have the time to get the tourist visa before hand.

If you have done this before, which country did you go to? And how long did it take?

If anyone has any other suggestions as well that would be highly appreciated.

Sorry if the post seems a bit rushed, I have very poor internet access right now. Let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks a lot

If you apply at an Honorary Consulate, it shouldn't take 2-4 weeks. I've had good service through Dallas, TX, Houston has had a good reputation, as well as Portland, OR, Dallas only took a few days.

If you do fly and plan to enter visa exempt, be prepared to show the airline proof of travel exiting Thailand within 30 days. Vientienne and Savanakhet, Laos are popular, apply in morning and return the next afternoon to pick up your passport.

Look in the Pinned Topics section for reports for these and the other locations.

Edited by beechguy

Hi Beechguy,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I will look up their phone numbers and give them a call tomorrow. If I can have it taken care of in less than two weeks then that would be an option.

I could use some clarification for that last bit though, regarding Laos. So I can apply, specifically, for a 60 day Thai Tourist visa there and pick it up within a day or two? If so that would work as well. I'm assuming should I need to stay in Thailand longer than expected I should be able to go to Laos every 60 days or so to repeat the same process?

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Beechguy,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I will look up their phone numbers and give them a call tomorrow. If I can have it taken care of in less than two weeks then that would be an option.

I could use some clarification for that last bit though, regarding Laos. So I can apply, specifically, for a 60 day Thai Tourist visa there and pick it up within a day or two? If so that would work as well. I'm assuming should I need to stay in Thailand longer than expected I should be able to go to Laos every 60 days or so to repeat the same process?

Thanks again for your help.

Info for the honorary consulates is here but they no longer can accept mail in applications. http://www.thaiembdc.us/dcdp/Thai_Consulate_Directory2

Even the embassy in DC or one of the 3 official consulates shouldn't take more than a week to get a tourist visa.

In Vientiane or Savannakhet Laos you can get a 2 entry visa that would give you almost six months total by doing a 30 day extension for each 60 day entry. It is next day service, You apply the morning of one day and pick up your passport with the visa in it the next afternoon.

One more quick question I forgot to ask.

Regarding post #2.

"If you do fly and plan to enter visa exempt, be prepared to show the airline proof of travel exiting Thailand within 30 days. Vientienne and Savanakhet, Laos are popular, apply in morning and return the next afternoon to pick up your passport."

Would this mean that if I arrived with my tourist visa, I wouldn't have to worry about showing the airline proof of travel exiting Thailand after 60 days? Or should I buy a ticket that I can get a refund on just to be safe? I plan to extend it twice, so I would assume if needed, I could purchase an onward ticket a few days before the last extension expires.

Thanks again.

If you have a visa you do not need a return or onward ticket. If you don't have a visa you can be denied boarding of your flight if you don't have a ticket out of the country within 30 days. You could get a one way ticket to a neighboring country for a low price. Check airasia.com.

You will not need ticket to get the visa in Laos.