My terrible landlady - what chance justice?

pomozki

I have a great cheap rental in Khon kaen but the landlady's always been difficult, refusing to pay for repairs etc. I'm now overseas and paid my rent in advance before I left. Yesterday she emailed me to say she wants me out immediately due to my rent being late. Actually my next-door neighbour, an Aussie, contacted her to pay the money for me some weeks ago and she wouldn't reply to him. She also ignored all my efforts to contact her. Because this is Thailand and I'm overseas, I feared she'd break into the house at any time and throw my stuff out.

Eventually last night I got her to visit a friend, who paid my arrears ob my behalf. Suddenly, she said she wanted an extra 4000 baht because the elec bill hadn't been paid for 6 months so I'd been cut off and the Power Company had taken away the meter and wanted a deposit for a new one etc. I contacted my Aussie mate, who says he has paid every bill on time since I've been away and has kept all the receipts. She is clearly lying through her teeth. Either the meter was never taken away or she got them to take it away to try to get me out

we have a 12-month contract that doesn't expire until July. Normally, in a civilized country, you'd show the receipts and take it up with the authorities but this being KK and me being a farang I fear I've got no chance of recovering the money she insisted we pay over last night

Have I got any chance of getting it back? She's also got 1 month's bond money. Yes, I want to find another rental ASAP, just wondering if I'll get anywhere if I take this further :)

You admit you were in arrears.

You lose your deposit and your stuff will be chucked.

Why would you believe it should be any different?

what? I was only in arrears because my friend phoned her to give her money and she wouldn't reply to him.

We both tried to ages to contact her and she ignored all our efforts.

She's obviously has it in for you, once you realize you have little ”right” rights you will be better off, just move out an be done with it. An remember to tell your friends and family overseas how much you like the place. -_-

Edited by Jubes
  • Like 1

Another low life. Just let her know that you are grateful for letting you know that she is worth 4000thb and move somewhere else.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Find a new place and stop wasting your time.

Agree.

Been in a similar situation with a nasty landlord before.

Lost my deposit, but the headache was overwith.

Cut your loses, move out.

• 2 weeks later...

Find a new place and stop wasting your time.

^^^This.

Find a nice place with a decent landlord and be done with all this petty drama.

I've had many good private landlords all over Bangkok and never had a single problem when going through a letting company too.

I'm not so sure about all the "naysaying" based on "hearsaying".

I rented (month to month) a condo in Chiang Mai for about a year. When I gave advance notice that I was moving, the agent agreed to refund my deposit the evening before an early in the day departure. I had hired a van to move my items.

When requesting my deposit the final evening, I got all sorts of excuses and "some time tomorrow".

I didn't argue much, I just call the Tourist Police. They sorted things out. It was actually a bit comical. One excuse was the agent's employee claimed they didn't have any cash on hand.

Police smiling: "Go ATM."

Employee frowning: "No ATM card, lady have."

Police smiling: "No problem, go get, we wait."

And they did wait -- until a scowling agent went away then came back with the cash.

• Like 1