Outlook: Are There Equivalent Programms?

Toni

I am using Outlook (not Express) as a calendar and for my contacts.

As I am not fully satisfied about certain things, especially concerning the calendar, I am looking for a replacement for both.

Does somebody has experience with other programms? Especially the "contacts" programm should be a bit more advanced and not too straight foreward; I need to specify target groups for example.

As members of this Forum gave already very usefull tips concerning programms I am convinced somebody can help me again.

Thanks in advance

I'm sure plenty of people have had experience with other programs of this type but you perhaps could give a little bit more info, like:

What aspects of Outlook you are unhappy with and what 'contacts' features you need.

You use Outlook for contacts and calendar, however am I correct to presume you use it for email also?

Are you working alone or in a group with shared information?

ACT is a very popular CRM package, but probably overkill for a calendar and basic contact management for someone working alone.

Thunderbird is a great replacement for Outlook and a calendar plug-in is available, but I've not ever used anything but the basic address book with it, which AFAIK doesn't offer any functionality greater than Outlook.

If you post a bit about how you use Outlook and what you want to do I'm sure you'll get some good info.

I'm sure plenty of people have had experience with other programs of this type but you perhaps could give a little bit more info, like:

What aspects of Outlook you are unhappy with and what 'contacts' features you need.

You use Outlook for contacts and calendar, however am I correct to presume you use it for email also?

Are you working alone or in a group with shared information?

ACT is a very popular CRM package, but probably overkill for a calendar and basic contact management for someone working alone.

Thunderbird is a great replacement for Outlook and a calendar plug-in is available, but I've not ever used anything but the basic address book with it, which AFAIK doesn't offer any functionality greater than Outlook.

If you post a bit about how you use Outlook and what you want to do I'm sure you'll get some good info.

I can understand that my questions has to be more clear before one can give a proper advice.

I am not working in a group.

Anyway, not 100% happy with Outlook because:

1. I don’t want to be dependable of all programs from Microsoft

2. Might be because of my stupidities but I have lost in the past several times

information of my address book whilst saving and reloading again in a new

computer; I don’t like the saving-procedure of Outlook

3. After using the CD for installing and/or repairing an XP professional program my

calendar has been changed; when I had an entry for only one day suddenly some of

the entries are extending with one, or like last time, with a lot more days.

4. I want to extend the possibility to make more sub-divisions in the target-groups.

I think these are my main reasons. I don’t use Outlook’s mail option. I use WEBmail.

I hope I gave enough info, if not, plse come back to me.

Thanks in advance :o

hi'

well, why not search for a calendar program?

btw, Evolution the mail client from novell(linux), will be in a windows version soon, it has all what you need, even forecast :D

just wait a bit, a version for mac is online, windows will come soon ...

or try Eudora or The Bat :o

francois

I haven't used ACT in almost a decade, but one of the things I alwasy liked about it was that it was able to synchronize between different programs well, without losing data in the process. This can be extremely handy when you are either changing programs, PIMs, or now even mobile phones.

But, without any specific information I would say that most people's needs are pretty basic and Thunderbird might be worth a try (haven't tried it myself, and not familiar with it as a contact management and calendaring program).

Likewise, still not sure that ACT is as good as it used to be in synchronizing to a number of different programs/devices. Things are considerably more fragmented now than they used to be due to all the new players and different niche markets.

Some things to keep in mind:

Do you need to track people and the companies they work for independently? Same goes for homes and people.

Do you want to synchronize to a PIM or mobile phone? What brand?

Do you want to track information about people beyond what you put in the address book-- things like call logs, mailing lists (like holiday cards or the like)

How much time are you willing to put into your address book to make it fit your needs-- rather than changing your needs to fit the program?

Toni,

1-3 can be solved with any other program, and 4 I guess refers to sub-divisions of groups of contacts, i.e. referencing your contacts in various ways.

My recommendation would be to try Thunderbird for your contact management, just because it's popular, reliable and free. It may or may not have what you need but it covers points 1-3 and maybe 4 too.

I haven't seen any contact management plug-ins for Thunderbird, and if you need something better for contact management you may need to look at CRM-oriented program like ACT, but that is a big step beyond an Outlook/Thunderbird type program. They aren't necessarily hard to use but you have to do a bit of work to set them up and make them useful to you, so I wouldn't recommend it if you only have basic requirements.

Try the Sunbird plug-in for Thunderbird for your calendar and see if it meets your needs. Again free and popular, similar capabilities for stand-alone use as Outlook, and you'll be able to understand the filing system without much trouble.

Google Calendar I find excellent but you have to be online whenever you use it. Likewise Gmail contacts have a lot of fields to use and grouping capability, maybe you'll find what you need there.

If you need any help with these programs let me know and I'll do what I can.

Toni,

1-3 can be solved with any other program, and 4 I guess refers to sub-divisions of groups of contacts, i.e. referencing your contacts in various ways.

My recommendation would be to try Thunderbird for your contact management, just because it's popular, reliable and free. It may or may not have what you need but it covers points 1-3 and maybe 4 too.

I haven't seen any contact management plug-ins for Thunderbird, and if you need something better for contact management you may need to look at CRM-oriented program like ACT, but that is a big step beyond an Outlook/Thunderbird type program. They aren't necessarily hard to use but you have to do a bit of work to set them up and make them useful to you, so I wouldn't recommend it if you only have basic requirements.

Try the Sunbird plug-in for Thunderbird for your calendar and see if it meets your needs. Again free and popular, similar capabilities for stand-alone use as Outlook, and you'll be able to understand the filing system without much trouble.

Google Calendar I find excellent but you have to be online whenever you use it. Likewise Gmail contacts have a lot of fields to use and grouping capability, maybe you'll find what you need there.

If you need any help with these programs let me know and I'll do what I can.

thanks all so much, I'll give it a try. Yes, Google has a nice calendar but it is giving me the fear that I don't have it in hand and I have very bad experiences with all these hugh companies with their robot-like answering staff or hiding their mail-addresses. :o Yes, I'm an idiot I know! A pity that the Google one works only by means of their data-bank!

I keep you informed.