any hidden costs into dog adoption into uk?

hello am hoping you can help me, i have fallen inlove with and am wanting to adopt a dog from a shelter in thailand. The shelter has advised the total cost would be £700 to vaccinate and transport the dog to an airport in essex. Also it should take approx 3 months. Could you please advise if there would be any UK costs to consider i have looked on various websites but i cant tell to be honest? Is it a case of simply paying the £700 and going to collect the dog? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i would love to adopt this dog? thanks!!

Sounds about right. It's about 15000 baht for the vaccination papers. I assume the rest is for the flight/carrier. There are no additional costs once you arrive in Europe.

Thanks for giving this dog a new life!

Please can you keep me updated on your process and costs, I am looking to rescue a dog and take home if I can afford it so would be interested, would like to fly him/her back with me

It takes four months to get a dog ready to enter Europe (including the UK). That's one month for the blood test and 90 days you have to wait after the test before he's allowed to fly there. There's no way around that. If you're planning on taking a dog, start early!

There will be more costs. You also have vet fees in UK and quarantine fees.

Great to hear of great people doing great things smile.png

There is NO quarantine in the UK anymore as long as you do all your papers before leaving Thailand. Those are the papers that cost 15000 baht. There's no fee to enter any country in Europe with your dogs, so there should be no cost whatsoever once you get to the UK.

There is NO quarantine in the UK anymore as long as you do all your papers before leaving Thailand. Those are the papers that cost 15000 baht. There's no fee to enter any country in Europe with your dogs, so there should be no cost whatsoever once you get to the UK.

and the 90 day wait and blood tests is not quarantine?

This is done here in Thailand, before you leave. The dog stays in your home, not in a quarantine center, so there's no cost You just need to wait 90 days after the blood test results to fly to Europe.

This is done here in Thailand, before you leave. The dog stays in your home, not in a quarantine center, so there's no cost You just need to wait 90 days after the blood test results to fly to Europe.

EU and UK rules are not the same, have a look here https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-quarantine

I know to bring dog into Thailand is around US$2000(large size sent with cargo), so i do not see taking one back would be much cheaper

EU and UK rules are not the same, have a look here https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-quarantine

I know to bring dog into Thailand is around US$2000(large size sent with cargo), so i do not see taking one back would be much cheaper

The UK rules changed in 2013 and now are the same as the rest of Europe. The only two countries that still have quarantine for dogs coming from Thailand (even with all the paperwork) in the European continent are Norway and Sweden. There's no quarantine anymore in the UK IF you have the correct paperwork. If you don't, then your dog goes into quarantine. I run a small dog rescue group in Hua Hin and we've sent several dogs to the UK (and many to Germany and Netherlands). One left for England just last week.

If you mean $2000 for the flight, then that depends on the airline, whether you do things yourself or use a pet shipping service, etc. The dog that went to England last week flew with the new owner through Air France. She paid 300 Euros to fly the dog. No other costs (well, the 15000 for the blood test).

Edited by dotx

The UK rules changed in 2013 and now are the same as the rest of Europe. The only two countries that still have quarantine for dogs coming from Thailand (even with all the paperwork) in the European continent are Norway and Sweden. There's no quarantine anymore in the UK IF you have the correct paperwork. If you don't, then your dog goes into quarantine. I run a small dog rescue group in Hua Hin and we've sent several dogs to the UK (and many to Germany and Netherlands). One left for England just last week.

If you mean $2000 for the flight, then that depends on the airline, whether you do things yourself or use a pet shipping service, etc. The dog that went to England last week flew with the new owner through Air France. She paid 300 Euros to fly the dog. No other costs (well, the 15000 for the blood test).

around $2000 total including vaccinations, import/export license, agent fees and flight but as cargo not excess luggage.

i know to Germany is pretty easy as many adoptions go to Germany, but not UK

If it is indeed so easy and cheap now, may i suggest you make a thread and let people know or may be even a bigger campaign, hate reading classifieds wherE Brits looking to give away their animal, because returning back to UK

Sorry to go off topic.

around $2000 total including vaccinations, import/export license, agent fees and flight but as cargo not excess luggage.

i know to Germany is pretty easy as many adoptions go to Germany, but not UK

If it is indeed so easy and cheap now, may i suggest you make a thread and let people know or may be even a bigger campaign, hate reading classifieds wherE Brits looking to give away their animal, because returning back to UK

Sorry to go off topic.

Great idea, I'll do that tomorrow. I think many people from the UK might not be aware that the rules changed recently. Plus, you'd be surprised how many people don't want to pay 15000 baht for the test or don't bother to start the process early -- and then can't wait the necessary four months to get the dog/cat home.

From the $2000 you quoted, I think most would go to agent fees. Since we're a rescue group, we don't charge people anything. We just tell them where to go, what papers to get (export certificate from the airport/customs office is 150 baht), etc. We just want the dogs to have a good life.

Between blood test, flight, etc. I think you're looking at around 800-1000 US dollars to take an animal from Thailand. But there are really no hidden costs and no extra expenses once you board the plane.

• Like 1

Great idea, I'll do that tomorrow. I think many people from the UK might not be aware that the rules changed recently. Plus, you'd be surprised how many people don't want to pay 15000 baht for the test or don't bother to start the process early -- and then can't wait the necessary four months to get the dog/cat home.

From the $2000 you quoted, I think most would go to agent fees. Since we're a rescue group, we don't charge people anything. We just tell them where to go, what papers to get (export certificate from the airport/customs office is 150 baht), etc. We just want the dogs to have a good life.

Between blood test, flight, etc. I think you're looking at around 800-1000 US dollars to take an animal from Thailand. But there are really no hidden costs and no extra expenses once you board the plane.

Great to know, hope you let others know so will see little less of animals looking for a home because owners are going back.

Hope Australia will wake up soon as well, so my gang of 15(yes 15 and yes all from the streets smile.png) can go for a visit

Hello all, thanks has been really interesting reading your comments / views, we are adopting through Soi Dog and they are so thorough and cover everything and have been so helpful and are careful who they send the dogs to too, they have been great.

Its folk in the UK that have been 'off' on the subject I have found - you say you are adopting a dog and its great the min you say its from another country they think you are silly and doing something wrong, I know there are so many dogs over here and if I visited the dogs homes I would want them all and it breaks my heart that I cant help them all :(

But I have fallen in love with this particular dog.. and I think you just know don't you ??

Will keep you posted on my progress many thanks for your input x