Rabies scare sparks search for pups in Maha Sarakham

webfact

Rabies scare sparks search for pups
Sumalee Suwannakorn,
Anek Krajaem
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- AUTHORITIES have declared an area around a dog seller's house in tambon Huai Kwang of Maha Sarakham's Kosum Phisai district as a temporary rabies-control zone until April 29.

Kosum Phisai Hospital has also provided free rabies vaccinations for residents living within 50 metres of the dog seller's house.

The dog seller on February 27 sold three of five shih-tzu/poodle mix puppies at a market in the province's Kantharawichai district. The remaining two puppies and the mother dog died last month and were found to have rabies.

The three other pups have yet to be traced.

The mother dog, which the seller kept, died on March 20 during sterilisation and tested positive for rabies.

The two remaining pups, sent to the seller's relatives in Bangkok, were later transferred to Phitsanulok and Buri Ram.

They also died and tested positive for rabies.

The news prompted many residents in the three provinces to seek vaccinations for themselves and their pet dogs. Officials urged those exposed to the pups to get vaccinated because the disease, without timely vaccination, could be fatal.

The puppy seller told officials the elusive pups were bought by some teenagers, possibly students at nearby Mahasarakham University (MSU). University officials are trying to track down the teenagers. After a meeting yesterday with related agencies, MSU Division of Student Affairs head Sunthorn Dejchai said that as there had not been any response to their appeals, it may not have been MSU students who bought the pups. Otherwise, the students might be from five faculties observing the Asean universities' six-month break, he said.

Sunthorn said the university would meet again on Friday.

It would continue to monitor pups at animal clinics and search for anyone who bought puppies, he said. Authorities were discussing preventive measures so a case like this doesn't recur, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-09

Rabies is a problem through out Sth East Asian countries , I went to a remote Island in Indonesia for work back in 06, the first week there the local doctor died from Rabies , so my introduction was quick , you need to be immunised and your pet dog needs the yearly injection , my dog is going to the vet today.

The best way of dealing with rabies and street dogs is to sell them to Vietnam as meat, is ridiculous every time that I read in the news that the police capture some Isaan guy that was selling dogs to Vietnam,, near to my house in Pathumthani there was a couple of Sois in which no people lived so it was full of street dogs that bit the children that went to school through that sois, one day one of the child got rabies and die, his father got in touch with one guy that came with a truck, capture all the dogs- almost 100- and sell them to the Viets, since then no more barking and the children can go to school safely.

selling dogs to be on any menu is not the answer..though is it but i understand the post..mass sterilization is one the answers.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The best way of dealing with rabies and street dogs is to sell them to Vietnam as meat, is ridiculous every time that I read in the news that the police capture some Isaan guy that was selling dogs to Vietnam,, near to my house in Pathumthani there was a couple of Sois in which no people lived so it was full of street dogs that bit the children that went to school through that sois, one day one of the child got rabies and die, his father got in touch with one guy that came with a truck, capture all the dogs- almost 100- and sell them to the Viets, since then no more barking and the children can go to school safely.

selling dogs to be on any menu is not the answer..though is it but i understand the post..mass sterilization is one the answers.

Why to sell the dogs to be use as food is not the answer?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why to sell the dogs to be use as food is not the answer?

I suspect the biggest problem is not the eating of the dogs but the inhumane way they are treated which is unnecessary. It's true that education and sterilization would help and I believe there is government help for this.

Whilst I don't doubt your story I've yet to see any of these packs of disease ridden dogs that are mentioned so often.

Rabies will always be a problem as unlike my own country you have land borders here an no regulation of breeders.

• Like 1