TAT: Thailand's political impasse hurts international tourism

webfact

Political impasse hurts international tourism

4-9-2014-10-12-37-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- International tourist arrivals declined by 9.39% in March year-on-year to 2.1 million due mainly to the political unrest, says the Tourism Authority of Thailand.

But It projected overall international tourist arrivals to reach 28 million with two trillion baht revenues expected this year.

TAT named six markets with the biggest declines were Africa (-17.8%), South Asia (-17.7%), the Middle East (-14.8%), East Asia (-14.67%) Oceania (-10.7%) and the Americas (-5.06%).

However TAT said Europe saw a 2.25% increase to 680,728 visitors on the back of an improving economy.

Russian and Finnish markets are two main growth drivers rising by 9.86% to 211,677 visitors, and by 48.3% to 25,897 respectively.

Among key markets, tourist arrivals from Japan dropped by 26.1% to 101,046 visitors, while Malaysia was down 20.3% to 184,233, Britain 13.1%, to 79,608, China 11.1% to 331,638 and Germany 11% to 79,966.

TAT said In the first quarter, international tourist arrivals fell 5.85% year-on-year to 6.6 million, while tourism revenue declined by 4.02% to 311 billion baht

The Tourism Authority of Thailand projects foreign tourist arrivals this year will reach 28 million, while tourism revenue will be 2 trillion baht

The department said 50 countries still maintain travel advisories even though the state of emergency was lifted last month

Meanwhile Kasikorn Research Center predicts the ongoing political unrest will continue to hurt tourism sentiment during the Songkran festival.

It projects international tourists visiting Thailand during Songkran will drop by 10.6% from last year to 600,000, with tourism revenue dropping by 9.6% to 26.5 billion baht

Chinese, South Koreans, Japanese and Malaysians will account for 55% of visitors, while tourists from Russia, Britain, Germany, France and Eastern Europe will comprise 30%.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/political-impasse-hurts-international-tourism/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-09

This is TAT's message for today and what's the bet in no time flat they'll issue another release with a positive note ?

Now, now that's a bit harsh kid. I for 1 love TAT with all of my heart and if it wasn't for their daily amusement, well life just wouldn't be worth living. In fact if TAT was a ladyboy I would marry him/her tomorrow!

• Like 1

This is TAT's message for today and what's the bet in no time flat they'll issue another release with a positive note ?

Now, now that's a bit harsh kid. I for 1 love TAT with all of my heart and if it wasn't for their daily amusement, well life just wouldn't be worth living. In fact if TAT was a ladyboy I would marry him/her tomorrow!

Thanks for that as it does explain your post on a different thread where you spoke about wanting more money and a larger thingy

• Like 1

Thailand's international reputation is pretty well in taters ,but tourists still arrive ,one I spoke to Sat, he didn't even know anything was happening , quiet a few are not coming back , after the disgusting events in BKK in 2010, and others actually watch the news, and there is so many choices these days for tourists, at the end of the day you have dug yourself a grave, your brand name is tarnished and yeah , it will take years to recover.

Thanks for that as it does explain your post on a different thread where you spoke about wanting more money and a larger thingy

The larger manhood was for me, not my bride to be lol

The larger manhood was for me, not my bride to be lol

If the whatever fits wear it, use it and whatever comes to mind you scamp

Can I have those TAT experts over for an analysis? My calendar reads 9th April and I have no clue what happens with my hospitality business over the next few months. We're pulling out all stops to avoid the worst while the TAT cognoscenti already now can forecast an income of two trillion Baht by the end of this year - irrespective what happens on all those fronts of Thailand.........

I think TAT is more like a soi dog,you never know which way it will turn.All of them should be put out of their misery for the benefit of mankind.

• Like 1

Within all the bullshit that goes on in this country this tourist concern and propaganda is the most annoying and heinous

The downward trend for visitors is as a result of several factors with a major contributor being the political and social unrest in this country. Fewer tourists is the effect with the cause being the inane, manipulative and corrupt administration of this country. You have shot yourself in the foot and instead of bitching about the effect, go out and fix the cause. The tourist industry in Thailand is little more than parasitic.

• Like 1

Nope! High class tourist here. I prefer Singapore and Japan in the future. The one's still coming are backpackers and english teachers .... And be sure, there is no reason for me to come back one day. Thailand was nice, and now it's time to move on for me.

Jared Leto, globally famous rock star of "30 Seconds To Mars" and last month's Oscar winner for Best Supporting Actor for "Dallas Buyers Club," handed the TAT with PR they couldn't afford to pay for. Hours before their concert at BITEC, Leto said in an interview with the 'other English newspaper' that he felt safe enough in Bangkok to go to Lumpini Park and walk around.

Imagine, a country having problems with tourism having a globally famous rock star/Oscar winning actor say he felt safe enough in Bangkok that he walked into Lumpini Park! The TAT should been jumping all over this!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand