The Pursuit Of Unhappiness….Part II

Hello and Sawasdee Khrap,

A short update of our son’s and his classmates’ ( four girls) victory, when they’d won the first place at a final Skit competition in Bangkok a few weeks ago.

The teachers received 400 K as the award, together with some gold covered medals.

They all went on a nice luxury holiday, but none of the M.3 students, who actually made this happen, received any money, nor a holiday…..

Quite a few huge posters with the students, but unfortunately all the teachers, plus the director on it, make it look like they had achieved something special.

They didn't even say thank you to me, as I had corrected the English, taught them when and how to use body language and without me, they wouldn't have won.

Same school pays a British guy 16 K/month, as he doesn't have a degree.

They’re all (excluding the teachers) so upset, that the one girl who remains at this school won’t participate anymore, as they’ll continue their Skit this year.

I feel very sorry for my son, as he wanted to pay for a short trip to Rayong for us, but got ripped off by the system.

That finally led us to the conclusion that we'll never ever spend so much time again for some useless bs.-wai2.gif

• Like 2

Something similar happened at Anuban Sskt..A grade four student had won the final speech competition in Bangkok,

The cash and credit is in favor of some Thai teachers now. As one will retire soon, they made her to the main teacher, who'd made this happen.

She doesn't even teach English.Nor does she speak it.But the poster looks good.....

The American bloke who prepared the boy doesn't seem to exist. There's nothing that could surprise me anymore.

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

Something similar happened at Anuban Sskt..A grade four student had won the final speech competition in Bangkok,

The cash and credit is i favor of some Thai teachers now. As one will retire soon, they made her to the main teacher, who'd made this happen.

She doesn't even teach English.Nor does she speak it.But the poster looks good.....

The American bloke who prepared the boy doesn't seem to exist. There's nothing that could surprise me anymore.

A World Class Standardized Behavior.thumbsup.gif

If there were cash prizes for my daughter (who also won first prize) they certainly never mentioned it! But like your son the put her on a big poster outside the school.

My two sons play basketball and have both played on provincial championship teams and on provincial all star teams. The kids know the coaches get money when the teams win but the kids get very little if anything. Maybe a few hundred baht to cover their food costs.

Oh well.

Edited by brucetefl

If there were cash prizes for my daughter (who also won first prize) they certainly never mentioned it! But like your son the put her on a big poster outside the school.

My two sons play basketball and have both played on provincial championship teams and on provincial all star teams. The kids know the coaches get money when the teams win but the kids get very little if anything. Maybe a few hundred baht to cover their food costs.

Oh well.

They were on a trip before between the semi and final competition with a lot of teachers, who had all free. They had plenty of Regency,finest seafood, and other good food, etc.

The money came from the school, kids had some freaking fried rice, nothing else. .

But I had to pay for the bus fare and had to give him pocket money. But he won't do it again, also the girls are very pissed.

Edited by sirchai

Is the attitude of teachers, as i read it, common behaviour at schools or just incidental ?

It's pretty common here, as most of them believe that they come right after god.

Many teachers also sell books they bought from a bookstore with a good percentage.

But there's only one way to go. Go with the flow,or you're out of the show.-thumbsup.gif

Is the attitude of teachers, as i read it, common behaviour at schools or just incidental ?

It's pretty common here, as most of them believe that they come right after god.

Many teachers also sell books they bought from a bookstore with a good percentage.

But there's only one way to go. Go with the flow,or you're out of the show.-thumbsup.gif

Not easy i guess for you to keep quiet.

I don't have a problem when they lie to me, as they don't want to lose face.

What's really bothering me is that they're using our son and four girls, made some good advertisement for their school, but didn't show any appreciation to them.

And they were the ones who won the competition.Not their teachers who can hardly communicate in English.

It's not about how many hours I had spent with them to practice.. It's about how they treat the kids.

Much better if your kids are in an EP and have foreign teachers....we just do our job - teaching. No face making competitions, no prepared and parroted speeches or any other Thai BS like that.

• Like 1

Much better if your kids are in an EP and have foreign teachers....we just do our job - teaching. No face making competitions, no prepared and parroted speeches or any other Thai BS like that.

C'Mon.......

I'm teaching here nine years and I certainly know that all the EP's also send their kids to competitions and guys like you are never ever mentioned, if the kids win.

Have you ever been on a poster as the trainer of a student who'd won gold at a final in Bangkok?

Or do we talk about different countries now?

So you're working at a Thai school without all that Thai Bs? Our son and the girls also competed against all the EP programs in this country.

Edited by sirchai

I don't have a problem when they lie to me, as they don't want to lose face.

What's really bothering me is that they're using our son and four girls, made some good advertisement for their school, but didn't show any appreciation to them.

And they were the ones who won the competition.Not their teachers who can hardly communicate in English.

It's not about how many hours I had spent with them to practice.. It's about how they treat the kids.

Hmm....by reading your last sentence.....it is about you. It is how you would want to be treated if you were a kid Also how you would give recognition to the ones who actually achieved it, if you were in charge. That is called "growing". My compliments to you as it really looks like that ....you care. Must be difficult though to be surrounded by people in your workenvironment who dont hold the same values and principles.

Seems to be the standard over here, with variations. I taught 2 M5 girls how to do story telling (screeching as the witch etc.). who got the praise? some Thai teacher who couldn't even properly read that story in english, let alone dramatize it correctly...

I would feel bad about stealing the laurels from the guy who made it happen.

Oh well. Here's to no more wasting time on such competitions!

Seems to be the standard over here, with variations. I taught 2 M5 girls how to do story telling (screeching as the witch etc.). who got the praise? some Thai teacher who couldn't even properly read that story in english, let alone dramatize it correctly...

I would feel bad about stealing the laurels from the guy who made it happen.

Oh well. Here's to no more wasting time on such competitions!

Well said. No more for me. So they let you do screeching itchy witch part. Congrats....laugh.png

That one hour with them made all the difference. Because they couldn't read & speak with different voices. Have no clue as to recite poetry or acting...

As English teachers, many have no clue as to whether students can handle a script - or not. It's quite scary, really.

make sure those young ones still get the praise and some gifts they deserve!!

I see a lot of similarities here, Sirchai.

Wouldn't you feel utterly preposterous, posing as a winner if you hadn't even run the race?!?

Man, this sucks big time.

Discouraging young learners is the very last thing we should do. what's wrong with springing 1,000 Baht or buying some chocolates & balloons or something?!?

Edited by Scott
Font

My daughter is doing her IGCSE shortly. Fantastic support from the school. Teachers willing to help in their own time for free. Great counselling from the school's counsellor to deal with the stress issues. A career advisor to discuss their futures. What else could you ask for.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My daughter is doing her IGCSE shortly. Fantastic support from the school. Teachers willing to help in their own time for free. Great counselling from the school's counsellor to deal with the stress issues. A career advisor to discuss their futures. What else could you ask for.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How much, and where?

Not every place you have access for international schools, not even private schools.