Large Bike Advice

dbm

My four-stroke 150 gets to an indicated 142 with me scrunched down, so I have no doubt that a tuned/modified 2-stroke could do 160 indicated.

I agree about Thai speedometers being wildly optimistic. I used to run 120kph indicated, between kilomter markers on the superhighway. It would take way more than 30 seconds, more like 34 seconds. Meaning, over 10% speedo error. Also, the odometer was optimistic, so while it now reads over 36,000 km, it may have only done 34,000.

There must be something special in the fuel up in CM and Udon, a 150 cc Phantom that does 160 Kph and a CBR 150 that does 140+ while I can only make my XR250R do 125KPH (6 speed as well) or my DR 400 barely do 140KPH, Both of these bikes put out considerably more HP. Hope you guys don't buy proper big bikes as we will be getting stories of 400 KPH top speeds

Hmm!! Guess a 750 CC Yamaha doesn't qaulify as a proper big bike :D

You sure your reading speeddo corectly :o

Just kidding :D

I was there I know what happened but you are certainly welcome to believe anything you want, cause in the end what does it really matter, my thoughts or yours :D

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok guys get real here, new speedo and my friends 150 at the exact same speed, there is something you missing in the Phantoms have a six speed trans.

The 750 is not for speed never had above 130, its for comfort. I'm sure it will do more then that, very low gear ratio and a five speed trans.

The only reason I had the 150 up to 160 is because I didn't believe it either, I do now. You can get real performance out of a 2 cycle engine with a little porting, tunned exhaust and the right carburation.

The amazing thing about this bike is you can totaly rebuild the engine for about 3500 Baht.

Now that it converted to a show bike, I think top end would be around 140, never have had it above 110 since I added all the goodies, but weight certianly effects performance.

Now what I'm working on now is a newer 750, I like the comfort and enough speed to ride in traffic. That should do it just fine

Ray,

1. Congratulations on getting the boys worked up.

2. Now no offence mate, but are we talking about indicated speed or a measured true speed?

You dont seem to have answered that question.

I run a GPS on my Africa Twin 750 & at an indicated 160 kph it is only doing a 150kph on the GPS & I believe the GPS. (The AT 750 tops out at an indicated 175 kph, on the 4-lane super between Udon & Nong Khai - I was chasing a car that over took me at 150 kph.)

I know you can tune a two stroke to do almost do whatever speed you like, but it probably wont last long & you dont say you actually worked the Phantom 150 motor at all - only tarted it up with extras that would slow it down.

So it is real hard to believe that it cruises at a real 140kph & tops out at 160 kph (ok maybe downhill or with a long flat straight it is believeable.)

Also even a new speedo on a local manufacture bike can be & often is wildly optimistic once you get "up to speed" even on a brand new bike.

In Chiang Mai / North Thailand I used to ride an old Honda Wing 125cc 4-stoke road bike before big bikes became common here & the ol Wing was really worked - bored out to 175cc with race cam, 750 Kawa oil cooler so it did not seize, fork brace to try & keep it stable on the "Gillette radial tyres", plus Koni twin shocks on the back & even a front disc brake! (I should have never sold it too.) It had awesome torque, pulled monos in the 1st three gears (must have been the Gearsack rack on the back?), but top end was still weak, and it could not cruise at a genuine 140 kph or top out anywhere near 160-kph (it was still only a 4-stroke with standard gearing.)

So my question to "get real" is was that an indicated 140 kph / 160 kph, or was it a genuine 140 / 160 kph on the Phantom 150?

If it's not a measured genuine speed then I reckon you're telling a bit of a porkie too..

Just go out and buy a real bike to start with instead of riding those kiddy bikes

160 klm/h my ass and if they did do that much I sure would not be pulling that much speed on the little piles of crap they are stop trying to make out the phantom is such a good bike there just a cheap slow way to get around like a honda wave :o

The phantom and the boss are what Thais call "Choppers" and they are slugs when trying to take off (even scarey if tryng to get on the highway from a stopped posititon) and they will take you forever to get to your destination. I've ridden the Honda Steed 400 and both the phantom and boss and will never buy one. Even the 600 Steed is a slug on take off. The steeds are Thai choppers that they make to look like Harleys.

Same-same with choppers/cruisers that are sold in the USA. Take 1/4-mile acceleration times, for example: oops, we've already packed my bike magazines. Until the V-Rod came along, many Harleys accelerated like my old 1982 Yamaha Seca 400 4-stroke, with elapsed times in the high 13's and low 14's. It's part of the mystique to choppers, to accelerate slowly. The big sportbikes are absurd in the opposite sense; where even in Western Australia could you use 160 hp, e.t.'s of ten seconds, and top speeds of 299 kph?

I want a high powered, Vtwin or parallel twin 500 like my last bike in Texas (Suzuki GS500E, also called Slingshot), but Mr. Aitchison is too busy to help me get parts for such bikes. :D:o

Boy this has been intresting, to answer the question I really don't mind, trust me I was skeptical as well. The bike was had the head milled, tuned exhaust, new carburation and a hotter plug. The 150 has absoultley no power until you get into high Rpms' By the way the other three that I spoke of that would do the same thing were aslo modified.

I have ran across to completly different styles of riders here, to some speed is everything and they do remarkable things with bikes. Just not my thing.

My riding is into touring, I was simply looking for enough to cruise in something besides the motorcycle lanes and still have a bit left to get out of the way. I achieved that. There is no way that I want to cruise around at 160, but others do.

I don't dispute that using just the speedo into an accurate judgement of speed may not be correct, but four out of four said the same thing. Might just be a defect to all the bikes don't know, just know what it said :D

Here in Udon from time to time they hold proper drag races, I am totaly amazed at what they can do with this little 125 CC bikes. But not one of them is a four stroke.

Now that being said I am not saying that a 150 CC phantom will out preform a Ducatti. nor am I saying it is faster then my 750 CC. What I am saying is this, the phantom performs remarkabley well for a small engine mid sized bike, if they are set up correctly.

For you racing fans out there god love you, love to watch have no desire to do it :o

I want a high powered, Vtwin or parallel twin 500 like my last bike in Texas (Suzuki GS500E, also called Slingshot), but Mr. Aitchison is too busy to help me get parts for such bikes. :D:o

Suzuki GS500 is a very popular bike in Europe, I see them everywhere. I suppose they're not imported into Thailand? I'm considering getting this kind of bike but only see Honda CB400's here.

I think the maximum speed you travel/want to travel depends on the bike you are riding. The fastest I've ridden on my CBR150 in 120KPH and I wouldn't want to go any faster. I've recently bought a new 2000cc Mitsu Lancer and 160KPH in that is comfortable. However, even in a car in Thailand I wouldn't want to go faster than 140 in normal circumstances. This is mainly because of poor driving on the part of other road users and of course the bloody u turns on the highway, which are the most dangerous traffic invention known to man.

Just go out and buy a real bike to start with instead of riding those kiddy bikes

160 klm/h my ass and if they did do that much I sure would not be pulling that much speed on the little piles of crap they are stop trying to make out the phantom is such a good bike there just a cheap slow way to get around like a honda wave :D

You know snotty I will give you one thing for sure, you really picked the right name for your personality :o:D:D:D:D:D

I want a high powered, Vtwin or parallel twin 500 like my last bike in Texas (Suzuki GS500E, also called Slingshot), but Mr. Aitchison is too busy to help me get parts for such bikes. :D:D

Suzuki GS500 is a very popular bike in Europe, I see them everywhere. I suppose they're not imported into Thailand? I'm considering getting this kind of bike but only see Honda CB400's here.

That was one great bike. I had the 2002 model with the newer look, but the US model by 2006 has a half-fairing. Quarter mile ET of about 13.9. I used to do about 103 over the bridge on the way home at 7:15 am. There was a rental agent in Chiang Mai that had 400Slingshots, but I doubt they had 30 hp in that condition. Second time I rode the GS400E, near Chiang Mai, I was still used to my 500, and went sailing right off the road into a drainage ditch. No scratches at all, because 10,000 km had taught me how to steer it....into a ditch. :o

Other than much bigger bikes (BMW), hardly anything over 200cc is imported to Thailand, legally. Which is the main problem that's kept me from buying something like a Suzuki SV650 twin.

Since we are really talking about big bikes now I'm looking at a 2006 750 Honda Pheonix, ( not sure on the spelling) Not inexpensive 460k with book, no miles on it to speak of. It's not a croch rocket, a cruiser 750 is a good comfortable size for me. Anyone know anythign about them? They are new to me.

160 klm/h my ass and if they did do that much I sure would not be pulling that much speed on the little piles of crap they are stop trying to make out the phantom is such a good bike there just a cheap slow way to get around like a honda wave :D

You know snotty I will give you one thing for sure, you really picked the right name for your personality :o:D:D:D:D:D

:D

I want a high powered, Vtwin or parallel twin 500 like my last bike in Texas (Suzuki GS500E, also called Slingshot), but Mr. Aitchison is too busy to help me get parts for such bikes. :D:D

That was one great bike. I had the 2002 model with the newer look, but the US model by 2006 has a half-fairing. Quarter mile ET of about 13.9. I used to do about 103 over the bridge on the way home at 7:15 am. There was a rental agent in Chiang Mai that had 400Slingshots, but I doubt they had 30 hp in that condition. Second time I rode the GS400E, near Chiang Mai, I was still used to my 500, and went sailing right off the road into a drainage ditch. No scratches at all, because 10,000 km had taught me how to steer it....into a ditch. :o

Other than much bigger bikes (BMW), hardly anything over 200cc is imported to Thailand, legally. Which is the main problem that's kept me from buying something like a Suzuki SV650 twin.

Bullshit plenty of legal bikes out there you are just to tight to buy one or work as a teacher and cant afford one

If you do ride the 150 2stroke bikes or even the other small bikes at higher speeds (130+) then your bike will be floating as it doesn't have enough weight to keep it on the road. I've ridden the 150 rr at 140+ and it can be scary when the cross winds start blowing you off the road. The phantom and boss are heavier bikes but are a tub of shit to get moving.

Bullshit plenty of legal bikes out there you are just to tight to buy one or work as a teacher and cant afford one

It's not bullshit, and no offense was taken. I'll clarify what I meant: "Other than bikes like BMW, virtually no new, factory-warranteed, dealer-serviced bikes over 200cc are legally imported to Thailand."

I'm too tight with my wallet to spend more than what it costs to buy a new Nissan SV pickup truck, to buy a new BMW or Harley. Both those makes have always, in my opinionated opinion, been very overpriced and over-rated for the purposes I always used a bike for, 350 days per year, without owning a slow, boring 4-wheeled vehicle.

And it's true that, despite their valuable service, well-qualified farang teachers in Thailand aren't paid enough to buy a new, big bike. But I only teach to keep busy while enjoying all three of my pensions without dipping into my life's savings. But hey, if the pensions were $6,000 per month and the savings were $8 million, I'd buy me a fast BMW sportsbike, if they make one. :o

If you do ride the 150 2stroke bikes or even the other small bikes at higher speeds (130+) then your bike will be floating as it doesn't have enough weight to keep it on the road. I've ridden the 150 rr at 140+ and it can be scary when the cross winds start blowing you off the road. The phantom and boss are heavier bikes but are a tub of shit to get moving.

Snakebite just hit the key for touring bikes, when you hit high speeds with the phantom even with all the garbage I have on mine, they feel like they want to come out from under you. The old 750 is heavy so it stays on the ground. The other thing is that the 150 really kills my back on long trips. Where as the 750 is simply a smoother ride.

The one thing I'm not sure about with this Honda 750 I'm looking at is the riding position, it sits very low to the ground. I suppose I could do some work on the seato get a little better position for the back. But I'm going to lose some cornering ability when I do, but on the other hand I putt putt around anyway. On good highway you very will see me above 110 no matter what bike I'm on. I'm always out exploring new country roads and road condition can change very rapidly, so unles I really know the road 80K is jus fine

I've looked at the Yamaha drag star both the 400 and the 1100. 400 does not seem to have the power I'm looking for again not for speed but for comfort. The 1100 seem to have enough power for me, but it's like driving a bus. I've owned two 1000 + bikes in the past, just never have felt good in riding them. On the other hand the mid range 750 just feels good to me.

Just couldn't resist had to stir the pot a bit.

Anyone see the Barcelona GP Moto on T.V. today.

125CC AVERAGE speed 154 Kph

250 CC AVERAGE 157 Kph

Anyone catch what the 500's did

I am so amazed what they can do with those 125's, to think they are driving these speeds from power produced from a cylinder smaller the average beer can.

Snakebite just hit the key for touring bikes, when you hit high speeds with the phantom even with all the garbage I have on mine, they feel like they want to come out from under you. The old 750 is heavy so it stays on the ground. The other thing is that the 150 really kills my back on long trips. Where as the 750 is simply a smoother ride.

The one thing I'm not sure about with this Honda 750 I'm looking at is the riding position, it sits very low to the ground. I suppose I could do some work on the seato get a little better position for the back. But I'm going to lose some cornering ability when I do, but on the other hand I putt putt around anyway. On good highway you very will see me above 110 no matter what bike I'm on. I'm always out exploring new country roads and road condition can change very rapidly, so unles I really know the road 80K is jus fine

I've looked at the Yamaha drag star both the 400 and the 1100. 400 does not seem to have the power I'm looking for again not for speed but for comfort. The 1100 seem to have enough power for me, but it's like driving a bus. I've owned two 1000 + bikes in the past, just never have felt good in riding them. On the other hand the mid range 750 just feels good to me.

Are you saying that weight is the primary factor in handling, such as in turning corners with speed and control? No, of course not. For one thing, there isn't a huge difference between a sportsbike and a chopper, other things being equal, in total road weight. However, just as chopper engines are designed differently, sport bikes have shorter wheelbases, sturdier alloy rims and wheels, sharper steering angle, tires with more grip, etc., not to mention extra disk brakes, better gears, etc.

You have to get to the absurd dual purpose Paris-Dakar bikes before you get an absurd seat height like 34 inches, and a nine gallon gas tank riding way up high, and 7 inch clearance on the road, before you're really off balance.

Of course, a Honda Dream 100 is more blown away by side winds than a Honda Gold Wing 1800, but the professional road racers (see post, above) get paid up to a million dollars per year for riding bikes as small as 125cc, even if it's in the wind and the rain.

Just couldn't resist had to stir the pot a bit.

Anyone see the Barcelona GP Moto on T.V. today.

125CC AVERAGE speed 154 Kph

250 CC AVERAGE 157 Kph

Anyone catch what the 500's did

I am so amazed what they can do with those 125's, to think they are driving these speeds from power produced from a cylinder smaller the average beer can.

I have a 250 two stroker that puts out 49 hp will did till it went bang the other week

How hard is it to find parts for that guy? It must have really moved.

I have been very urprises a to how easy it has been to get parts for the 750 Yamaha, but's an old bike so probably lots of smashed up one around :o

How hard is it to find parts for that guy? It must have really moved.

I have been very urprises a to how easy it has been to get parts for the 750 Yamaha, but's an old bike so probably lots of smashed up one around :o

Make a phone call to bangkok and pick it up from the bus stop in one or two days. But I get a Thai guy to ring and he just gives them year model and what I want. The bike is a Honda CR 250. As soon as my new bike shed gets built I think I will turn it into a super moto.

PB, the reason those guys get paid those big bucks is because they are professionals and paid to take the risk of riding at those speeds and what ever the condition. We're not talking pro riders here so don't even bring that into the picture. The small bikes are unsafe to ride at those speeds, PERIOD.

What the hel_l are you talking about when you say CHOPPER? Are you talking the Thai version pieces of shit phantom,boss, or 4&600 steeds? Those bikes are turds and have no power to them at all. The Thais either bling them to death or stretch em so far and put em in a hard tail frame to where they aren't anything but for show. ###### sure, not worth riding. I wouldn't ride the fricken things anywhere out of my little town.

Not too much similarity at all between a chopper (that I grew up knowing about) and any true sports bike other than they have 2 wheels. Cruisers are closer but still way away from each other. My frame is nearly 5 feet long and is classed as a sport/cruiser and is fine by me. The new sports bikes are shorter and for me a pain in the back to ride. Can't stay bent over for any real distance. I say, give me a bike with some weight to it, with a good amount of power and a comfortable seat and sitting position and that's cool. You'll never get this out of those piece of shit phantoms,boss, or any 400/600 steed. I really wouldn't want anything lower than a 650 of any bike to ride long distance.

What a joke!!!!!!! "LARGE BIKE ADVICE" :D

If you are a freshy as far as bikes go, then this 'Chopper' :o , should keep you happy for about 6 months or so. I thought we were talking about real bikes. By that i mean inline 4, Vee or triple, although i would ride the HP2 (SINGLE BMW).Saying that i do know this one guy who rides his Phantom to Phuket on a regular basis, with regular fuel stops.

If you do decide to get a proper bike then i would advise visiting motorzone in RCA or maybe RED BARON, both have websites. From my five years of riding supersports and hypersports bikes in Thailand i would say these two places are the best.

Keep that beast sticky side down.

Get the real thing.

post-21079-1151282832_thumb.jpg

Come on, tell me this isn't the perfect bike for downtown and up country.

You asked for it: it is NOT the perfect bike for riding up country North Thailand / N Laos on steep tight twisting mountain roads. Now you've been told.

But it might be ok for cruising downtown on flat straight roads at low speed. Up to you...

Get the real thing.

post-21079-1151282832_thumb.jpg

Come on, tell me this isn't the perfect bike for downtown and up country.

You asked for it: it is NOT the perfect bike for riding up country North Thailand / N Laos on steep tight twisting mountain roads. Now you've been told.

But it might be ok for cruising downtown on flat straight roads at low speed. Up to you...

Now beening a ex HD rider I think HD are a good bike well made but a sporty is some thing you would buy for your wife or if you are 5 foot tall. Sure you can work the shit out of them 100hp but still any young kid on a 600cc or less is still going to leave you in his dust

Buy a honda best made motorcycles in the world Reliable affordable :o

Get yourselves nice powerfull sport tourer like the Honda Blackbird CBRXX 1100, they are a good all rounder, 160hp and loads of low down torque, probably the best ever made, do 180mph or tootle along at 70 in absolute comfort for both you and passenger...........I did my visa run on mine last Friday and it was a most enjoyable experience, definetly better than sitting in a cramped minibus for 8 hours

They are not that expensive either. enjoyment factor 10/10

post-19364-1151349903_thumb.jpg

post-19364-1151350017_thumb.jpg

post-19364-1151350197_thumb.jpg

Edited by gharknes

Make a phone call to bangkok and pick it up from the bus stop in one or two days. But I get a Thai guy to ring and he just gives them year model and what I want. The bike is a Honda CR 250. As soon as my new bike shed gets built I think I will turn it into a super moto.

What shop in Bangkok are you referring too? Phone number? Do they have a web site? :o

What shop in Bangkok are you referring too? Phone number? Do they have a web site? :o

You will have to wait till I am at home for the number