TEFL World Koh Sumui or Bangkok TEFL course?

djdobs

HI All

(I hope I have started this post in the correct category, apologies if not!)

I'm currently staying in Bangkok but considering going to the 'TEFL World' teaching school in Koh Sumui to complete the training to hopefully allow me to teach in or around Bangkok.

Has anyone had experience of this organisation? The quoted price of 42,000bt seems very reasonable as it includes accommodation. The gentleman I spoke to seems very helpful and explained that the only real additional cost is food and drink.

I have also looked into the possibility of doing a TEFL course in Bangkok however this seems like it will be far more expensive as accommodation is rarely included. Plus there appears to be so many to choose from!

Can anyone please offer some advice? What is my best option? Any experiences of either TEFL World or Bangkok TEFL courses?

Many thanks in advance

Robin

Do you have a degree in any field? A TEFL isn't a must, if you're planning to teach here.

A TEFL gives you a rough idea, but usually far away from reality.

Once you've got 55 kids to teach English at a government school, you'll know what I mean.

You'll have to have a degree to apply for a teacher's license, visa and work permit.

Only a TEFL isn't enough. Good luck!-wai2.gif

A TEFL is worthwhile if you have no teaching experience. A TEFL does prepare you for dealing with a classroom. It doesn't replace experience, but it's a good place to start. In my experience people with a TEFL can be turned lose in a classroom and manage to get along with little assistance or direction.

I don't know that anything prepares you for some of the large classes in Thailand, except maybe combat duty.

TEFL courses are four weeks. You can accomplish a lot in four weeks but its still just four weeks.

And TEFL courses are different. Some of them do a decent job of preparing you for working in a language school and some of them will help you to prepare for those big classrooms. When we ran our TEFL course in Ban Phe we went to the government schools for our observed Teaching practice (something all good TEFL courses should have at least 6 hours of). That way the teachers 8 hours of real experience teaching those big classes. For people who have never taught before and are not very confident its invaluable.

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for your responses and information.

Sadly I do not have a degree in any field (I wasted a lot of my youth!). So I am now very concerned about my ability to stay in Thailand. I was informed that a TEFL type qualification would allow me to work in the schools or even possibly start teaching English privately.

I am a confident person and have always been encouraged to teach as I have excellent people and communication skills. But I take on board the comments about the class sizes!

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for your responses and information.

Sadly I do not have a degree in any field (I wasted a lot of my youth!). So I am now very concerned about my ability to stay in Thailand. I was informed that a TEFL type qualification would allow me to work in the schools or even possibly start teaching English privately.

I am a confident person and have always been encouraged to teach as I have excellent people and communication skills. But I take on board the comments about the class sizes!

Sorry, but who informed you that you can teach with a “TEFL type” qualification?

All you need is to Google it.......

You’ll find it difficult to find employment, especially as you don’t have any teaching experience.

Even difficult for a confident person like you. Wish you best of luck.

Edited by lostinisaan

I see... well in which case I think doing a TEFL course would be a waste of my time and money.

I had been informed by friends who had previously done the TEFL training that they were successful in finding employment in schools in Thailand after completion (they wished to stay in Thailand longer than the 30 days and this allowed them to). Maybe things have changed now?

I see... well in which case I think doing a TEFL course would be a waste of my time and money.

I had been informed by friends who had previously done the TEFL training that they were successful in finding employment in schools in Thailand after completion (they wished to stay in Thailand longer than the 30 days and this allowed them to). Maybe things have changed now?

It's possible to find employment, but you won't be on the right type of visa, plus no chance to get a work permit.

Then you'll find out that even non native English speakers with a degree find a job easier. Think twice, you're never too old.

There are a lot of people who do not have degrees who work as teachers. I can't say what % are illegal, but I am quite sure it is very high. They can sometimes afford to get a visa by less-than-fully-legal means, but they seldom get a work permit.

I personally have met hundreds if not thousands of teachers who have taught or are teaching in Thailand without a degree.

Things have changed a great deal. It seems that schools are looking for young attractive teachers first, qualification second.

And I have never met any native speaker, regardless of age and degree (or lack thereof) who didn't find a job if they really wanted one.

Edited by brucetefl

The big difficulty for many people isn't finding a job, it is being able to continue to stay in Thailand in an at least quasi-legal status.

I don't think there is anything wrong with people taking a TEFL and trying to teach, but Thailand might not be the best place to plan on staying without the full qualifications needed for most teaching jobs.

You certainly need to jump through a few hoops if you don't have all the necessary qualifications.

Some people join Thai language classes to get an ED visa.

Some people make frequent border runs and visits to overseas embassies to get visas.

Some people get alternate visas like O or retirement.

Some people go the extra mile and think long-term by trying to obtain the necessary qualifications here in Thailand or via distance-learning.

I suppose some people just overstay and worry about the consequences later.

By the way I'm not advocating any of these, just telling you the realities.

Edited by brucetefl

Thank you to you all who have offered help and advice... it's really appreciated.

I am now considering the possibility of finding non-teaching work here in Bangkok, although I am not discounting the idea of teaching.

I am more than happy to keep doing visa runs in the short term in order to continue my search for the ability to stay and work in Bangkok. Nothing would make me happier than living here on a permanent basis.

I think I shall start a new thread/post asking for some advice on which agencies might be able to assist me in finding work here....

Thanks again guys :)