Extremists may be planning to target westerners in Thailand's southern border provinces

george

Here in Phuket I am always fearful when I go to a crowded event. There are lots of muslims in around Kamala and for the last few years I have visited the annual muslim talks they have down there. The topics discussed are very anti farang... It is interesting that when I visit these muslim talkfest, the ladies working the stalls are very friendly, but the bloke just sneer at me with disdain.

very friendly?

can you see more than the eyes?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here in Phuket I am always fearful when I go to a crowded event. There are lots of muslims in around Kamala and for the last few years I have visited the annual muslim talks they have down there. The topics discussed are very anti farang... It is interesting that when I visit these muslim talkfest, the ladies working the stalls are very friendly, but the bloke just sneer at me with disdain.

it might be the hat your wearingsmile.png

Absolutely right!!! Not wearing and helmet does not mean that the motorcyclist was at fault

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

If you study road casualties in detail you'll soon realise the blame NEVER lies solely with one person or factor. Many factors contribute to EVERY incident.

If someone falls of their motor bike for WHATEVER reason, they are putting themselves more a risk if they are not wearing a crash helmet.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ate these "extremists" Muslims looking to succeed from Thailand or Suthep's yellowshirt crew?

Yep! its time for the convicts to pack up and go home.

Please explain (Convicts) and be specific

amazing how so many TV members are so tough and sad to say stupid .....bottom line anyone who thinks Thailand is safe for Forigners ANYWHERE is a fool and they deserve all that they are mindnumbingly ignorant to......luck can run out on any hour anywhere apparently it just happens to others? blink.png and Never in Thailand to Expats cheesy.gif

It is better to live one day as a tiger than a lifetime as a sheep! Quote by the Dalai Lama! yes luck does run out and so does the air we breath for all someday! it is not tough nor stupid to ignore these warnings..it is stupid to believe all that you are told!

oh and the Dalai Lama is the wisest person on earth. Time and unforseen circumstance befall us all. EC 9:11 I think

same thing mr sheep

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

the amount of Aussies that will believe this bullsh#t nanny state crap.

Anyone who thinks that using the expression "nanny state" is valid in any argument is making it perfectly clear that they dot have an opinion worth listening to.

what expression would you prefer to describe the equivalent of a nanny state ,,just so we can be perfectly clear!

US Embassy Bangkok, Thailand
Security Message
Friday, April 11, 2014

Security in the Deep South of Thailand

This is to alert U.S. citizens of a recent rise of violence in the deep south of Thailand in the border provinces of Narathiwat, Pattani, and Yala. Last month, at least 50 violent incidents killed over 30 people and injured almost 40 others. There is the possibility that foreigners, including westerners, may be targeted in this region.

We remind you that the deep south of Thailand has experienced almost daily incidents of criminally and politically motivated violence for several years, including acts attributed to armed local separatist groups. Although the separatist groups have primarily targeted security officials and Thai government interests in the southern provinces, they sometimes target public and commercial areas, including railways and areas where foreigners may congregate.

The U.S. Embassy prohibits its personnel from traveling to the far south of Thailand -- Narathiwat, Pattani, and Yala provinces -- without prior approval, and Embassy personnel may go there only on work-essential travel. U.S. Embassy and Consulate personnel must provide advance notification of travel to Songkhla province, and they are advised to use hotels outside Hat Yai’s central business district. The Department of State urges you to defer non-emergency travel to these areas.

If you must travel to these areas, you should exercise special caution and remain vigilant with regard to your personal security. You should be aware that Thai authorities have on occasion instituted special security measures in affected areas, such as curfews, military patrols, or random searches.

We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Thailand enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) at www.Travel.State.Gov. STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

Regularly monitor the State Department's website, where you can find current Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and the Worldwide Caution updated on April 10, 2014. Read the Country Specific Information for Thailand. For additional information, refer to “A Safe Trip Abroad” on the State Department’s website.

Contact the U.S. embassy or consulate for up-to-date information on travel restrictions. You can also call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays). Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy (http://bangkok.usemb...ov/service.html) is located at 95 Wireless Road in Bangkok, and can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049, or by e-mailing [email protected]. The Embassy’s after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-2-205-4000.

The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai (http://chiangmai.usc...ov/service.html) is located at 387 Wichayanond Road in Chiang Mai. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can be reached by calling 66-53-107-777 and by e-mail at [email protected].

The after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-81-881-1878.

There was another thread on the same line where Australia issued warnings. Posters on here laughed and basically said Australians are uneducated morons who wouldn't know if their arse was on fire. Australians are basically by people on TVF as monkeys and not people to be taken seriously. I'm an Aussie and a monkey very proud of my aboriginal monkey heritage.

• Like 1

There was another thread on the same line where Australia issued warnings. Posters on here laughed and basically said Australians are uneducated morons who wouldn't know if their arse was on fire. Australians are basically by people on TVF as monkeys and not people to be taken seriously. I'm an Aussie and a monkey very proud of my aboriginal monkey heritage.

. Would u take a pommy serious
  • Like 1

I would say westerners have more chance of being involved in a traffic accident than being bombed or shot by extremists

Definitely.

Actually, the chances of being involved in a terror attack anywhere is tiny. I remember reading you basically have more chance of being struck down TWICE by lightning or dying from a bee sting. Bee stings kill more Americans than terrorists did.

People can scoff all they like about warnings about imminent danger, but it doesnt minimize the danger, just your reaction to the fear levels you experience,

laughing off warnings when army movements are about to converge with a crackdown, meaning the militants have to use their armaments and explosive devices or they will lose them to fighting, when clearly, the shift has been stated to be against civilians,

doesnt make anyone smart of funny,

it does make you dumbed to practical reasoning

its not unlike getting bitten by a shark, yeah, it can happen to anyone, but

if you do not go in the water when there are shark warnings you will not get bit.

here is what south florida swimmers saw, at the same time shark warnings were issued,

imagine if a person said to his friend,

I am not afraid, there is more chance getting bitten by a bee

post-192707-0-72073700-1397234828_thumb.

Edited by Scarpolo

UK has now also issued a warning based on intelligence.

I wonder if they will go up to Phuket and start something off there?

Only if it is a suicide mission, and who wants to wait for those to begin?

They need to be cleaned up and no longer tolerated.

Wars of attrition are what they are best known for,

that, and suicide bombings and IED's

It is best to avoid the area and see if the army will drain the swamp.

if they do, paradise for some returns, and if they do not,

then let the local business people do the complaining,

but to become a statistic in a war that means nothing to most ex pats, makes zero sense, and not the reason people go to thailand, to die

Anyone who thinks that using the expression "nanny state" is valid in any argument is making it perfectly clear that they dot have an opinion worth listening to.

what expression would you prefer to describe the equivalent of a nanny state ,,just so we can be perfectly clear!

QED

QED

??????