Friday-is It A Public Holiday Or Not?

thaigerd

Just got this in my email: The United States Embassy in Bangkok and the U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai will be closed in observance of the three Special Holidays on Friday June 9, Monday June 12 and Tuesday June 13 declared in celebration of the 60th Anniversary of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s accession to the Throne. This closure affects all sections of the Embassy and Consulate General in Chiang Mai, including the American Citizen Services Unit. The Embassy and U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai will reopen for normal business on Wednesday, June 14.

We ask you to kindly disseminate word of this closure as widely as possible among American citizens in Thailand.

Would seem that if you have Government business you are out of luck until next Wednesday!

my partner just got tmw off too .... so at least some high level international companies are giving all three days off

5 day weekend! Wheeeee!

Edited by jdinasia

My company's not in Bangers; we're closing one day on Friday.

Weird that all this gets decided the week of the celebration. You'd think they knew for a quite a while that His Majesty would celebrate his 60th anniversary on the throne this week..

Meh, our company is giving the toads in the BKK sales office 4 days off and the people in Phuket who actually work zero!

.......are we working for the same company :D ???

LOL, Sales and Marketing are the same in every company, in my last company I posted a sign that said "Sales And Marketing Office-2 Drink Minimum" on their office door for a joke. Didn't go down too well for some reason! :D

It helps them that our owner is also based in the BKK office and wanted a long weekend :D:o

Our (Thai) GM just announced today that this Friday is just a normal working day and not a public holiday :o

May be someone can tell what's all about.

We are here in Phuket.

Thanks!

Gerd

It is a National Public Holiday ... but ... your boss can decide that you have to work on that day !

V. Public Holidays

An employer must grant its employees a minimum of 13 paid public holidays each year. If a public holiday falls on a weekly day off, the next working day must be granted as a paid holiday. The public holidays must include Labor Day (May 1). The other twelve holidays must be chosen from a list of 16 holidays published by the Thai government. An employer must notify its employees which days will be considered public holidays before the beginning of the calendar year.

In the Bangkok metropolitan area (excluding microbranches

in shopping malls) banks will be closed on on June 12 and 13, as notified by the Bank of Thailand on February 22, 2006.