need help on Mail Forward service from USA to Thailand

Been getting my mail including my bank statement and credit card bills sent to relative in the US. Now we come to realize that we want all our mails and other stuff forwarded to our new Chiangmai home (still want to keep US address for mail order and stuff)

thanks guys

I use a mail forwarding service in Las Vegas. I'ts great for receiving packages from shippers that won't send to an international address in addition to all my routine mail. They consolidate and forward whenever I request.

http://www.maillinkplus.com/

There are probably similar ones in any city you wish to use. I have a home in Las Vegas and a Nevada Driver's License but use MailLink as my mailing address. I have been using mail forwarding services for my mailing address for over 20 years. It's important to get a reliable one. My last one was in Florida, A UPS Store franchise, that went out of business without any warning to customers. Look at the FAQ of the one I use as a general idea of what they will do.

If you can't open the account in person you may have to send a notarized USPS Form 1583 to the service you want to use. A bit of a hassle but If they don't insist on it I wouldn't trust them.

http://about.usps.com/forms/ps1583.pdf

• Like 1

Why are you still getting bank statement and credit card bills in the mail? I believe all such companies have been providing downloadable documents on their websites for years. If you do use a mail forwarding service make sure they are located in a no-income-tax state, so that you are not the subject of a tax domicile audit in the future.

Why are you still getting bank statement and credit card bills in the mail? I believe all such companies have been providing downloadable documents on their websites for years. If you do use a mail forwarding service make sure they are located in a no-income-tax state, so that you are not the subject of a tax domicile audit in the future.

My credit card billing and shipping has to match...not sure how i can get around this when they send renewal card

My credit card billing and shipping has to match...not sure how i can get around this when they send renewal card

You change your billing and shipping address to your mail forwarder, which is the main reason for obtaining one and do it before it is time to get new cards

• Like 1

Mine match because all my packages go to my mail forwarder in the US who ships them to me in Thailand. Among other advantages this allows me to choose the best shipping method into Thailand (USPS mail.) I especially want the forwarder to handle renewal bank and credit cards because some banks refuse to send them to Thailand. Even those that are now willing to send them to Thailand may refuse to do so at some point in the the future. The other entity that may insist on knowing your physical address is a bank when you are opening a new account only. For this reason you need to load up with lots of bank and credit union accounts before expatting.

All of my banks, brokerages, the IRS, etc. have only my mailing address. The sole exception is the Social Security Administration who insists on knowing the address where I live.

While you're at it, get a voip service that provides a US phone number that you can use to make and receive calls while in Thailand. We use Ooma, which is not the cheapest, but has served us very well for six years in both the US and Thailand. Includes a phone messaging service. Solves no end of problems with all those US-based organizations we have to deal with.

Edited by CaptHaddock
  • Like 1

Has anyone experienced a problem with a US bank not accepting a mail forwarding address as a physical address? Either when opening an account from abroad or later if the bank finds out the address is a mail forwarding service.

Good point about having a phone # also.

I use jConnect

https://www.j2.com/jconnect/twa/page/homePage?CMP=j2

For $165 per year I get a US phone number that can receive voice messages and faxes. The voice msg audio file (or fax) is then sent to your e-mail address. Works great. I can also use it to send faxes from my computer.

I have used magicjack.com for 5 years now. once signed up for 49.95 for 6 months...you get free unlimited local and long distance calls in US and Canada plus you get to keep your phone local number too. if you do not have phone number they will give you a local number. and whats more...a big PLUS you will get app on your ios or android...you receive or make your US or Canada call from your phone in Thailand in the palm of your phone for free!! Trust me this is the best there is. Anyway...anyone have any tips on mail forward company where you can receive regular mail not only those courier (fedex, ups, etc)

Has anyone experienced a problem with a US bank not accepting a mail forwarding address as a physical address? Either when opening an account from abroad or later if the bank finds out the address is a mail forwarding service.

That happened to me with Regions Bank. I was changing my mailing address from one forwarding service to another. They wouldn't do it at first because "The computer says so"

Eventually they did but had to give them a physical address also.

That happened to me with Regions Bank. I was changing my mailing address from one forwarding service to another. They wouldn't do it at first because "The computer says so"

Eventually they did but had to give them a physical address also.

Thanks.

Believe it or not, even some big name financial companies still mail out monthly bank statements. I have Schwab brokerage, checking, and savings accounts. Schwab has estatements for their brokerage and checkings accounts but not their savings accounts...no place to select estatements "only" for their savings account on your Schwab online accounts...and I have called twice over the last few years to confirm that you can not do an estatement only for their savings accounts...they will still mail you the monthly statement by mail...they can't turn off the monthly mailing...their past answer (twice from two different CSRs) is that a pending upgrade to their system for savings accounts...but apparently that update has been pending for years. But it has been about a year since I've checked about turning off the monthly statement by mail. ALL my other banking/financial accounts with various banks/companies do provide estatements and turn off the statements they mail you.

Edit: I just sent a message to Schwab asking can and how do I turn off monthly mailings of my savings account statement...I let you know what they say...maybe they have the capability now...I hope so...but I also hoped so the first two times I called them about it.

Edited by Pib

Believe it or not, even some big name financial companies still mail out monthly bank statements. I have Schwab brokerage, checking, and savings accounts. Schwab has estatements for their brokerage and checkings accounts but not their savings accounts...no place to select estatements "only" for their savings account on your Schwab online accounts...and I have called twice over the last few years to confirm that you can not do an estatement only for their savings accounts...they will still mail you the monthly statement by mail...they can't turn off the monthly mailing...their past answer (twice from two different CSRs) is that a pending upgrade to their system for savings accounts...but apparently that update has been pending for years. But it has been about a year since I've checked about turning off the monthly statement by mail. ALL my other banking/financial accounts with various banks/companies do provide estatements and turn off the statements they mail you.

Edit: I just sent a message to Schwab asking can and how do I turn off monthly mailings of my savings account statement...I let you know what they say...maybe they have the capability now...I hope so...but I also hoped so the first two times I called them about it.

Got my response from Schwab and to quote:

Schwab Bank Savings accounts are not yet enabled for online delivery of account statements. Schwab Bank is aware of clients' desire to stop mailings for the Savings account and we hope the paperless capability will be made available soon.

Same answer I've got yearly for the last three years.

This is becoming more of an issue these days. I've run into a few on-line retailers who've rejected orders based on the ship to address being a mail processing company. Not sure, maybe they've had some fraud issues and check the address - requiring a bill to and ship to, to be the same, which is easy to do these days with Google Maps and Streetview.

Banks have to be a bit careful re: federal and state regulations, and associated tax implications.

There have been a fair amount of threads on this topic here over the years so a search might yield additional detail, options and recommendations?

Edited by lomatopo

After a period of time TD Ameritrade caught on that I was using a mail forwarding address and requested a physical address. I think that they would have canceled my account if I didn't provide them one.

• Like 1

Good point about having a phone # also.

I use jConnect

https://www.j2.com/jconnect/twa/page/homePage?CMP=j2

For $165 per year I get a US phone number that can receive voice messages and faxes. The voice msg audio file (or fax) is then sent to your e-mail address. Works great. I can also use it to send faxes from my computer.

I have used magicjack.com for 5 years now. once signed up for 49.95 for 6 months...you get free unlimited local and long distance calls in US and Canada plus you get to keep your phone local number too. if you do not have phone number they will give you a local number. and whats more...a big PLUS you will get app on your ios or android...you receive or make your US or Canada call from your phone in Thailand in the palm of your phone for free!! Trust me this is the best there is. Anyway...anyone have any tips on mail forward company where you can receive regular mail not only those courier (fedex, ups, etc)

Same thing from Skype is $60 per year but calls to the US are not free (they cost 2.3 cents per minute except to toll free numbers)..

Edited by AngelsLariat

After a period of time TD Ameritrade caught on that I was using a mail forwarding address and requested a physical address. I think that they would have canceled my account if I didn't provide them one.

OK. I use http://www.americas-mailbox.com/ in Rapid City, South Dakota. They own an RV park where their service is and that park becomes your physical address. Then they know the box you have with them. So I don't have a box for an address, but rather an RV park.

South Dakota is the only state that actively encourages out of state citizens to register as residents. Most others require you to be in the state a certain amount of days per year.They also have no state income tax. - one of just 7 such states.

Their idea is that they want traveling RVers and such to buy vehicle licenses, insurances, etc. with virtually no cost to them.

You do have to go there once to get a driver's license, and again every 4 years to renew it, so you need to be one who does make trips back to the US.

The IRS will accept that address as will your bank and credit card companies. I won't have a credit card or bank account that won't go paperless. I get emails once a month from each credit card company with a link to log on and pay my bill. They already have my bank account info so it just takes minutes to pay the bill from the credit card site.

The forwarder, in my case, is instructed to throw out junk mail, and anything that might be important I hear about via email and I usually ask them to open it, scan it to .pdf and email it to me. Fast. They will forward packages to me any way I want.

Maybe the best thing about having a mail forwarder is that you never have to give everyone your new address if you move. Only the forwarder needs to know.

• Like 1

OK. I use http://www.americas-mailbox.com/ in Rapid City, South Dakota. They own an RV park where their service is and that park becomes your physical address. Then they know the box you have with them. So I don't have a box for an address, but rather an RV park.

South Dakota is the only state that actively encourages out of state citizens to register as residents. Most others require you to be in the state a certain amount of days per year.They also have no state income tax. - one of just 7 such states.

Their idea is that they want traveling RVers and such to buy vehicle licenses, insurances, etc. with virtually no cost to them.

You do have to go there once to get a driver's license, and again every 4 years to renew it, so you need to be one who does make trips back to the US.

The IRS will accept that address as will your bank and credit card companies. I won't have a credit card or bank account that won't go paperless. I get emails once a month from each credit card company with a link to log on and pay my bill. They already have my bank account info so it just takes minutes to pay the bill from the credit card site.

The forwarder, in my case, is instructed to throw out junk mail, and anything that might be important I hear about via email and I usually ask them to open it, scan it to .pdf and email it to me. Fast. They will forward packages to me any way I want.

Maybe the best thing about having a mail forwarder is that you never have to give everyone your new address if you move. Only the forwarder needs to know.

Can't speak about the one in South Dakota. But the one that I'm using in Miami sometimes comes up in post office records as being a business address rather than as a residential address. I think that is what tipped off TD Ameritrade that it was not my physical address.

Same here. I gave them a family address in the states. "Problem" solved.