PM Yingluck hopes to call Songkran period "Seven Happy Days"

webfact

PM hopes to call Songkran period "Seven Happy Days"

BANGKOK, 10 April 2014 (NNT) - Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra stressed that road safety remains a priority this year during the Songkran Festival, adding that she hopes the period will be called “Seven Happy Days” instead of “Seven Dangerous Days”.

The premier said she has instructed each province to launch campaigns and implement measures to reduce the number of road fatalities. Figures from this year will be compared with those from the year before.

Security agencies will also be alert during the festive period and will monitor the situation in case political violence flares up.

The Metropolitan Police Bureau will also survey areas to crackdown on crimes and to manage traffic flows during April 11-17. Officers will be sent to 30 water-splashing sites across the capital to keep an eye on the situation.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-04-10 footer_n.gif

Good Ms. Yingluck has instructed again. Now if only she would also follow up on those instructions, check something gets done and so.

Well, at least no protests for seven days and hopefully also no grenade attacks.

May all have seven happy days coming week thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Let's hope this year is better then previous years. But I have my doubts because what exactly has anyone in authority done to correct this carnage which happens every holiday here in Thailand? By observing their behavior on the highways, very little or nothing. Keeps the undertakers in business.

• Like 1

Great to see at least a few positive comments on TV.

It's always a good thing to have robust debate from all sides of politics but how about we leave the negatives aside on this particular thread.

There's more than ample opportunities to let fly on the many threads on TVF.

To all the posters and the moderators and families a very safe and happy songran!

• Like 1

I've actually never really understood what the ruckus is about these so-called "7 dangerous days". Apparently, Thailand clocks up an enormously high number of road deaths every single day of the year - i.e. not only during Songkran.

After all, and depending on which study one consults, Thailand globally ranks second to fourth in terms of total road fatalities per annum.

One source (http://global.umich.edu/2014/02/thai-roads-ranked-no-2-for-traffic-deaths/) puts annual road deaths at almost 30,000 people per year.

Statistically, that's a daily average of roughly 80 fatalities. Multiply that by 7 and you get 560 fatalities in a week. That is MORE dead people than were reported over the entire Songkran people last year.

So what exactly makes these "7 dangerous days" so much different from any other given 7-day period in the LOS? Why this obsession with daily reporting of road fatalities during Songkran, when it is apparent that the road carnage persists EVERY day?

• Like 1

I've actually never really understood what the ruckus is about these so-called "7 dangerous days". Apparently, Thailand clocks up an enormously high number of road deaths every single day of the year - i.e. not only during Songkran.

After all, and depending on which study one consults, Thailand globally ranks second to fourth in terms of total road fatalities per annum.

One source (http://global.umich.edu/2014/02/thai-roads-ranked-no-2-for-traffic-deaths/) puts annual road deaths at almost 30,000 people per year.

Statistically, that's a daily average of roughly 80 fatalities. Multiply that by 7 and you get 560 fatalities in a week. That is MORE dead people than were reported over the entire Songkran people last year.

So what exactly makes these "7 dangerous days" so much different from any other given 7-day period in the LOS? Why this obsession with daily reporting of road fatalities during Songkran, when it is apparent that the road carnage persists EVERY day?

I like the logic here. In fact she could say that during Songkran, Road deaths and injuries actually go down compared to normal weeks. And if one was really serious about reducing the carnage, let's make it year round ;)

• Like 1

Why are they calling her the pemier? She is only the catetaker. Also i dont seem to recall her taking any stand on reducing accidents last yeat when she wad a premier. Is she trying to make people believe she really cares or trying to boost support for the upcoming elections?

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by thesetat2013

farangs nip off to neighboring countries to get away from the mayhem ,not everybody is happy with the water throwing

True. One year I went to Kathmandu just before the mayhem began and hid out in the Himalayas in Nepal and then Tibet and China and got back a week after it was over. Best Songkran ever. clap2.gif

I share her wish. Health and happiness for everyone. wai.gif

And I also wish that her brother's omen will not become true. He predicted a Black Songkran for this year. I wish he was wrong.