Dead boy's family in Phuket 'mob' against Russians

webfact

Dead boy's family in Phuket 'mob' against Russians
Anthika Muangrod

1397128418_1-org.jpg
Region 8 Police Volunteers posted a photograph of ‘Larisa’ and Valentin’ on their Facebook page, asking for information on the couple.

PHUKET: -- A large group of Thais gathered outside the Villa Market in Chalong yesterday (April 9) to protest over the death of 16-year-old Thananbavorn “Lotus” Durongpan, who was killed just after 1am on Saturday (April 5) when he was hit by a car as he rode his motorbike along Patak Rd from Chalong Circle.

The incident has sparked anger at the Russian woman driving the car, at her friends and, by extension, Russians in general.

The Phuket News’ Russian-language sister paper Novosti Phuketa contacted Russian police volunteers who reported that the driver, known only as Larisa, allegedly made a U-turn on Patak Rd next to the Shell filling station, knocking the boy – who was travelling in the same direction – off his bike. He was not wearing a helmet.

Larisa drove away. A man known only as Valentin, thought to be her husband, was following in another car. He stopped briefly but, deciding that Lotus was dead, he too sped off.

Police failed to find either of the drivers. But witnesses helped officers to track down one of the cars to a rental agency, where they found it had been rented to a third Russian national, named Ekaterina. She told the police that she was a passenger with Larissa and witnessed the accident, which she described.

But now, apparently, she has left the country, as have Valentin and Larisa. The main witness – Ekaterina – also disappeared after the police questioning. Police also interviewed Anna, the host of a party the Russian couple had been to before the accident but she told them she did not know their full names.

The flight of the three Russians has caused bitterness, not only among the boy’s family but also among the frustrated police.

Capt Thada Sodarak, investigation officer at Chalong police station told The Phuket News, “Wherever country people come from, whether developed or not, I believe we all have hearts. But what these Russians showed is that they are heartless – they don’t care. They just left.

“I asked [Ekaterina and Anna] to tell me the full names of their friends. But they just don’t care.

“I understand the intensity of the feelings of the boy’s relatives. Nevertheless, I have told them not to attack these Russian people. I have also ordered the police to look after the safety of everybody at Villa Market.” (Villa Market is a popular shopping venue for Russians in the Chalong area.)

“Right now we know who is the driver who killed the boy, but we can’t reveal anything. We just want to have the driver’s full name to advance the investigation. But no one will tell us.

“Of all the [foreigners] who live in Thailand, the Russians cause the most problem. Look: they come to our country, hit our children, and then when they feel like it they [run away].

“I asked them [the Russian witnesses], ‘Look, what would you do if a Thai goes to your country and hits and kills your children? Would you let him go back home?’ They said nothing.”

Som, the mother of the dead boy, told The Phuket News: “Lotus was a good boy. He worked and took care of his grandmother and his brothers and sisters. On the night he died he had gone out to buy some mosquito repellent.

“I have donated his eyes to the Thai Red Cross Society and already someone has received them.

“I don’t want my son to have died without someone paying for it. I’m ready to forgive because I don’t want [his spirit] to worry, but these Russians [the witness Ekaterina and and the party host Anna] are shirking their responsibility. They are not going to reveal the real name of the driver. It seems they are trying to protect their friends.”

The family were also critical of the police for allowing the witness Ekaterina to leave the country; she apparently flew out to Dubai on Monday (April 7). “How could the police not hold on to her passport?” Mrs Som asked. “She is the only witness.

“The car that hit my son went through a police checkpoint. Four officers were there but no one could catch that car.”

Pim, the boy’s aunt told The Phuket News that the family had done a deal of investigating before the police reacted, identifying the car and even the party venue, where they found one man still drunk, surrounded by empty beer and alcohol bottles.

Police declined to give more details of the investigation, but police volunteers said they would welcome any more details about the two drivers, Larisa and Valentin.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/dead-boy%E2%80%99s-family-in-phuket-%E2%80%98mob%E2%80%99-against-russians-45639.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-04-11

• Like 1

I do have to agree with the Thai family for the failure of the police for not seizing the only valid witnesses passport.

But in saying that my wifes brother inlaw is a high ranking police investingator in cases like this and if you knew the amount of cases

and conditions he has to work under its no wonder poor police proceedure exist in this land

RIP Little Buddy

• Like 1

frustrated police I think we all know why,everyone involved including the witnesses have flown home,what off an island with a limited amount of flights,then out of bkk.on another flight booked or not booked that is the question.how long does that take.

you can all make up your own minds as to went went on after the accident.

could have been your son.r.i.p.

The irony in this article is painful. I hope that this serves as a lesson to the Thai populace that this HAS to stop. Whether it be a Thai driver or foreign driver they should all be held responsible....unless the victim isn't wearing a helmet.

This one takes the cake. Drive like a maniac but make sure you only hit helmetless riders, all good.

• Like 2

I do have to agree with the Thai family for the failure of the police for not seizing the only valid witnesses passport.

But in saying that my wifes brother inlaw is a high ranking police investingator in cases like this and if you knew the amount of cases

and conditions he has to work under its no wonder poor police proceedure exist in this land

RIP Little Buddy

Why would she have her passport seized? She made a statement as a witness but she has done nothing wrong. It would be very wrong to hold her passport.

Basically, the couple have fled and gone back home. It is tragic but it was an accident and fleeing the scene is just the normal thing in Thailand,, or at least that is how it seems.

So, there really is nothing the police can do about this. They will never track the driver down.

• Like 2

frustrated police I think we all know why,everyone involved including the witnesses have flown home,what off an island with a limited amount of flights,then out of bkk.on another flight booked or not booked that is the question.how long does that take.

What went on after the accident?------ Surely you are non insinuating that they paid the police to get off and go home? Sounds a bit far fetched to mewhistling.gif

• Like 1

Anyone being even half aware of the abject corruption of the Chalong Police , would probably do the same.

I wouldnt be surprised at all to learn that these cops have already been paid to let the Russians slip away. They are that dishonest.

They are not lamenting the chance to 'solve' the case , to them its already solved - the Russians did it ! And those Russians were heartless not to stay around - to pay the cops off even more as a percentage of the blood money.

As has been stated , they are doing exactly what some Thais do in this situation every day.

Sorry , but things are so dysfunctional here about laws , corruption and outcomes , that Im pretty sure I woould have recommended they do the same ...

• Like 2

I feel sad for the family. No matter how negligent they were as parents they have still lost their love.

The irony in this article is painful. I hope that this serves as a lesson to the Thai populace that this HAS to stop. Whether it be a Thai driver or foreign driver they should all be held responsible....unless the victim isn't wearing a helmet.

The whole thing is farcical when you look at it that way and you have to understand why the police have thrown their hands in the air over this one.

No helmet is at least partly to blame himself that is my opinion.

I wish they shown the same reaction at all the Thai drivers who do the same. Maybe they do but it seems awfully foreigner orientated.

In general Thais do the same thing driving off.

I find that repulsive too, but here the tone is so much directed at foreigners its crazy. Though i might be mistaken as not too long ago a police station was blocked by Thais to get justice in an Thai hit and run case. But there the driver was supposedly a helper of the owner of the car. Though I think many would agree it could have been the owner.

Claiming that foreigners do bad when thais do it on a dialy base - TIT!

Russians should show heart and responsibility when no Thai can do so?

I'm not a friend of how like 95% of the Russians behave, but same same with the Thais!

I just had a motobike accident with a car driver not giving me the right of way - he not even left the car before deciding to drive away and leaving me with the 100+ k THB bills for broken glasses, motobike and hospital (5 days stay).

Bye,

Derk

• Like 1

What went on after the accident????-------- surely you are not suggesting that some sort of bribery and corruption went on with the police.

Can't believe thatwhistling.gif