PM Yingluck says she bows to charter court's power

webfact

PM Yingluck says she bows to charter court's power
By Digital Content

13971794644468.jpg

BANGKOK, April 11 – Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has stood firm that she did not dismiss the Constitution Court’s power, but admitted that she was concerned with the upcoming judgement.

Admitting her anxiety over the court’s ruling, the caretaker PM said she would accept the court’s verdict as long as she is treated equally, using the same standards (as other politicians),

“If we look at the mounting problems negatively, we can never solve them. I try to look at them positively, let go, be patient and solve the problems prudently and carefully,” she said.

Referring to a statement by Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva who called for her resignation from the caretaker role to end the political impasse, she said Mr Abhisit should be well aware of the imposition of the Constitution which requires a caretaker government and a general election after the House dissolution.

She urged the Election Commission to clearly announce its determination to hold a general election and called on Thai people to help the country move on under the law.

“We can’t even find an answer today on how to bring the country back to democratic rule,” she said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-04-11

• Like 2

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

" ... the caretaker PM said she would accept the court’s verdict as long as she is treated equally, using the same standards (as other politicians) "

This is the big problem with Yingluck and Pheu Thai. They are not unequivocal when it comes to the judgments of the courts. There is always a " as long as " tacked on. Which means that Yingluck has not budged. Which means Pheu Thai has not budged. Which means the whole tension as to what Pheu Thai's reaction to the verdicts will be has not changed one iota. They seem to be preparing a narrative in advance, if they do not like the verdict of the Constitutional Court. And they are testing that narrative in public. The public - and the international community, unlike Pheu Thai - must therefore be unequivocal in their support of the judicial process and the judgments that are rendered from them. Period. There is no " as long as ". It's a period, Yingluck. It's a period.

Pheu Thai must state now - right now - that they will unequivocally accept the verdict of the Constitutional Court and the National Anti-Corruption Commission.

Thais in general always tack on the "as long as." Once pointing out what was clearly written in a contract, I was told , "yes, but we didn't intend that." "As long as it happened in Thailand, we didn't intend what we wrote and signed." The next contract came out and sure enough it even said. "As long as" in 12 of the 22 points.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"We cant even find an answer today on how to bring the country back to democratic rule, she said."

Well, that's not quite true. End corruption. End nepotism. Obey the law. Rule consensually. Disband street thug groups. Allow economists to be involved in policy making. No blanket amnesties. The guilty go to gaol.

And the party hacks that have criminal records are band from holding any political or party office

-----------------------------

And an excellent way to prove both their sincerity and their respect for the law as above political parties would be for BOTH Yingluck and Abhisit to simultaneously announce their resignation and to leave any political activity for at least 5 years from the date of that resignation..

That would be a good starting point for "reconciliation".

But we all know it will never happen because BOTH of them are self-serving blowhards whose only true concern is to perpetuate there political power and the financial benefits that flow from that power.

The real problem with Thai politics is that ALL THAI POLITICIANS are in the control of the wealthy oligarchy that has the money to buy and sell politicians in Thailand as they please.

Political parties in Thailand are just an organized way of sharing the corruption and patronage among the political thieves in an organized manner.

• Like 2

For this country to move forward, it's time for Yingluck and Abhisit to stop the verbal jousting and lip service to the masses. If they are really sincere about moving the country forward, I'd like to see them both start holding meetings to hash things out. None of their entourage, just those two.

Another option is for them to both disband their political parties and forbid both party members to be involved in politics for 5 -10 year. It's time for new people who really care about Thailand and Thais to move the real agenda forward.

• Like 1

"We cant even find an answer today on how to bring the country back to democratic rule, she said."

Well, that's not quite true. End corruption. End nepotism. Obey the law. Rule consensually. Disband street thug groups. Allow economists to be involved in policy making. No blanket amnesties. The guilty go to gaol.

And the party hacks that have criminal records are band from holding any political or party office

-----------------------------

And an excellent way to prove both their sincerity and their respect for the law as above political parties would be for BOTH Yingluck and Abhisit to simultaneously announce their resignation and to leave any political activity for at least 5 years from the date of that resignation..

That would be a good starting point for "reconciliation".

But we all know it will never happen because BOTH of them are self-serving blowhards whose only true concern is to perpetuate there political power and the financial benefits that flow from that power.

The real problem with Thai politics is that ALL THAI POLITICIANS are in the control of the wealthy oligarchy that has the money to buy and sell politicians in Thailand as they please.

Political parties in Thailand are just an organized way of sharing the corruption and patronage among the political thieves in an organized manner.

Sorry, as I was typing mine, you beat me to it with the same idea. +1 with what you are proposing!

I'm watching hard talk on the BBC and one of the complaints about the world cup in Brazil was an expenditure of 12 billion dollars and some of it disappearing into corruption.

Puts the rice scheme into perspective

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Posted 2013-11-21 11:25:39

Pheu Thai to go ahead with charter amendment

Charupong reiterated his party’s stance to continue the charter amendment though amendment to the charter regarding the composition of the Senate was rejected by the Constitution Court yesterday, and another amendment to the amnesty bill was forced to be withdrawn from Parliament following massive protest by all classes of the Thai societies.

Earlier he had adamantly announced to reject the ruling of the Constitutional Court although the Opposition said such rejection was a blatant defiance of the Judicial power and could subject to a rebellion charge.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/683228-pheu-thai-to-go-ahead-with-charter-amendment/

• Like 1

Posted 2013-11-19 13:48:03

Defiant lawmakers to challenge Constitutional Court

A total of 312 lawmakers today declared not to accept the judgment of the Constitutional Court which is scheduled to hand down its verdict on the amendment to the Constitution regarding the composition of the Senate tomorrow.

The lawmakers comprising MPs and Senators were led by the Pheu Thai party’s Lopburi MP Amnuay Klangpha and Kamphaeng Phet Senator Krich Arthit-kaew.

They said that whatever the verdict of the Constitutional Court would be, they would not accept, reasoning that the lawmakers have the right under Section 291 of the Constitution to amend the Constitution.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/682713-chalerm-does-not-believe-constitutional-court-will-rule-against-pheu-thai-government/?p=7055873

PM Yingluck to comply with Charter Court ruling

PNPOL570411001000301_11042014_105811.jpg

BANGKOK, 11 April 2014 (NNT) – Prime Minister and Defense Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said she would comply with the ruling by the Constitutional Court no matter what the outcome would be.

Asked about her comment on the Charter Court’s decision to accept a petition against her, the Premier said even though she was worried like other normal people should, she was willing to comply with the court’s verdict. She however raised doubts about the court’s impartiality and its process to investigate the case.

Earlier this month, the Constitutional Court voted unanimously to accept into consideration a lawsuit seeking to impeach the Prime Minister for her unfair transfer of former National Security Council (NSC) Secretary-General Tawin Pleansri.

The petition was filed by a group of senators led by appointed Senator Paiboon Nititawan, following the Supreme Administrative Court’s ruling on March 7 that Mr Tawin’s transfer was unlawful and that the former NSC chief must be reinstated.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-04-11 footer_n.gif

I'm watching hard talk on the BBC and one of the complaints about the world cup in Brazil was an expenditure of 12 billion dollars and some of it disappearing into corruption.

Similar amounts to what have been "lost" on the rice scam. With the World Cup, at least the "income" from the event will likely well exceed any of the expenditure.

• Like 1

Similar amounts to what have been "lost" on the rice scam. With the World Cup, at least the "income" from the event will likely well exceed any of the expenditure.

Indeed. A lot of investment in infrastructure as opposed to millions of tonnes of mouldy rice

And the chess game continues. So the Court can rule against her, and she has to leave, but what about the rest of the cabinet? They kick it out too, somehow? How do they fit the round peg of their goal - and by their, I group the opposition that makes up the Court, the rich and powerful Bangkokians, the PDRC, the DP, the military and others (all groups often overlapping) - of booting Thaksin and Cronies with square hole of the Constitution and the expectations of the upcountry folk? Should be interesting. I spend five minutes on this, and there are people on both sides going full time, with a deep understanding of Thai law, Thai acceptable practice, and who / what is in play. So I know better than to predict final outcomes. But you can be sure there are many moves to come in this game, till we know we have reached the next phase. Certainly not the end, as this game will be played for years and years to come, dividing and re-dividing the spoils of Thailand.

Edited by harkish
  • Like 1

And the chess game continues. So the Court can rule against her, and she has to leave, but what about the rest of the cabinet? They kick it out too, somehow? How do they fit the round peg of their goal - and by their, I group the opposition that makes up the Court, the rich and powerful Bangkokians, the PDRC, the DP, the military and others (all groups often overlapping) - of booting Thaksin and Cronies with square hole of the Constitution and the expectations of the upcountry folk? Should be interesting. I spend five minutes on this, and there are people on both sides going full time, with a deep understanding of Thai law, Thai acceptable practice, and who / what is in play. So I know better than to predict final outcomes. But you can be sure there are many moves to come in this game, till we know we have reached the next phase. Certainly not the end, as this game will be played for years and years to come, dividing and re-dividing the spoils of Thailand.

My guess is that with Yingluck out of the picture, her deputy, Thaksin's cousin, Surapong will pick up the reigns.

What really matters, however, will be who is selected to run on the PM ticket in the upcoming election.

Another of Thaksin's family? Will PTP go with that or will they rebel? Suthep won't go home. Will the dems contest the election?

My guess is that with Yingluck out of the picture, her deputy, Thaksin's cousin, Surapong will pick up the reigns.

What really matters, however, will be who is selected to run on the PM ticket in the upcoming election.

Another of Thaksin's family? Will PTP go with that or will they rebel? Suthep won't go home. Will the dems contest the election?

Oak is being groomed currently for a future leadership role.

Yes, the Dems will have to contest the next election or the party gets disbanded.

It won't be her decision anyway. She's guided and steered and string-attached-controlled from Dubai and her bodyguards, (Kittirat, Surapong, etc.),,,, a PM barbie girl, who has no say and right or opinion.... everything arranged and scripted in Dubai....

"everything arranged and scripted in Dubai"

That Thaksin must be a busy boy, running an entire country from Dubai and all on mobile phones and skype, whilst simultaneously running his own businesses and interests.

Sounds unbelievable doesn't it?

That's because it is. coffee1.gif

• Like 2