Car Park Etiquette.

Your quote Robby..... ."(and yet the road network has not expanded)." huh?

Head out between Hau Thanon and Nathon, you'll see that statement is not correct! facepalm.gif The problem with other areas, there is no room to widen the roads... where there are buildings .... highly unlikely they will come down to widen the roads... wink.png

Also some of the Sois headed to the centre of the island are being concreted .... even your Soi, to service those who live up in the hills....

But getting back to the op's post... yes, Thai's and some farangs need to learn how to park correctly.....facepalm.gif whistling.gif ....

Your quote Robby..... ."(and yet the road network has not expanded)." huh?

Head out between Hau Thanon and Nathon, you'll see that statement is not correct! facepalm.gif The problem with other areas, there is no room to widen the roads... where there are buildings .... highly unlikely they will come down to widen the roads... wink.png

Also some of the Sois headed to the centre of the island are being concreted .... even your Soi, to service those who live up in the hills....

But getting back to the op's post... yes, Thai's and some farangs need to learn how to park correctly.....facepalm.gif whistling.gif ....

Well, I can't agree here, sorry.

The ring road is still the ring road and the bulk of the traffic flow is still on the same bit from the ferry to Chaweng.

Yep Hua Thanon to Nathon is a lovely bit of black top now - but the road was also there 10 years back.

As for the amazing shortcut between Mae Nam Soi 1 and Lamai, *newnewnew* how many 24-wheel trucks have you seen using this to bypass Chaweng? In fact, if you were to count the total vehicles per 5 minutes, I guess that you get a score of:

Soi 1 = 2.

Ring Road outside Soi 1 = 300.

Some of the dirt roads have been concreted, but they still remain the same routes to the same places. No vast new swathes of road have been built. In fact the part that least needed to be widened (Hua Thanon to Nathon) has in fact been widened, They had a feeble attempt at adding an extra lane to the section between Nathon and Chaweng, but all they achieved was to create a theoretical motorbike lane which is now generally used for car parking, thus completely defeating the aim of the whole project

None of this is exactly easing the vehicular density, is it? The fact is that I'm guessing that vehicles have at a minimum tripled in the last 8 years - probably more than this. But essentially they'll all still on the same roads.

Put it this way. 10 years back it was easy to walk across the ring road anywhere between Mae Nam and Chaweng in the daytime - the most you'd need to wait was about 20 seconds or so. Now it can take five minutes before there is even a tiny break in the nose-to-tail traffic. Point made!

R

Will agree to disagree ! ..... on several points! wink.png .... Depends on time of day often to get across the ring road and number of vehicles on either route to Lamai! ... ..

I could go on but I won't! tongue.png

Stop being so agreeable to being disagreeable . . . I think!

When I was a lad . . . . there was not a bufflo n cart to be seen on the ring road in Mae Nam after sundown - now just look at it. Waist deep in buffalo poo.

(Did you know you can buy this in Tesco? - sent some to my daughter for Xmas. See attached kitchen goodie . . .it's on the shelf next to the erbs )

R

and, yes, the topic is just how much buffalo poo is acceptable in a public vehicular placement situation, how to assay the ethics thereof, and to postulate conclusions as to the wherefore of the occurrance. (Wasn't it?)

poo.jpg

thai2.jpg

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

IMO white cars certainly lack etiquette while under way-or perhaps they just stick out like....

12860059.jpg

smile.png

xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png

After my initial post I drove to to/from Naton for lunch. During the journey I almost T boned two separate white cars that pulled out in front of me in order to join the opposite lane; furthermore a white pantechnicon with about as much control as a Jamaican Bob-sleigh seemed quite irate that I was in his way while overtaking at speed @bang po.

My dashcam audio contains more bleeps than Ollie Reed on 'Parkinson'! :)

A few weeks ago we were sitting in a bar in Bangrak, my car was parked on the opposite side of the road and completely off the road. A taxi somehow managed to leave the road and run into the back of my car! By the time we got there the rather shaken passengers had got out and the driver was driving off leaving parts of his car behind! I have a pick up and there was no damage but he had no regard for his passengers - the lady was in some shock. We got the number but there was really nothing to do. This is Samui and you can imagine reporting this to the local plod would have been a waste of time - "What damage has been done? None!" End of story.. Nor were we quick enough to get a photo of him leaving so even reporting to the Transport Dept would have been fruitless.

IMO white cars certainly lack etiquette while under way-or perhaps they just stick out like....

12860059.jpg

smile.png

Man, I've seen some wide sweeping generalizations on this board, but aside from the obliviously racist "we are superior in every way to Thais because they don't do things the way we do (back in the 'home' that I got the hell out of for some reason)" postings, this one has to take the cake for pointless subjective opinions. Are you seriously claiming that people who choose white vehicles are in some way less courteous than those who drive cars of other colours? You must have a hell of a head for numbers.

• Like 2

The Thai standard of driving on average is poor at best. The inability to park never ceases to astound.

I have watched Thai's in small, by that I mean a Yaris or similar, make several attempts to reverse park and even after that end up at an angle and over over the line.

I often wonder what they would do if they drove my car which is a fairly big BMW. My, wife also Thai can park it first time every time. Totally parallel and between the lines. I did teach her the fine art of parking. Unfortunately most Thai's despite their efforts and a lot make a real effort seem to be incapable of parking within a defined space

The fact is that Thai's cannot drive. Now I am not the world's best driver and at one time was 1-point short of being banned for 3-months in the UK but the standard of driving here is appalling. I travel back and forth to Korat regularly and did so on Thursday and just got to the point of total exasperation when driving over the mountains because these idiots come at you on the opposite side of the road with double yellows and flash their lights as thought to say "get out of the way I'm coming". Well I lost it I'm afraid ... no I'm not going to tell you what I did but it is the same as I did back in the UK and it scares the 5H1t out of those coming at you". Now I know what's coming ... you are not in Thailand so why try and drive like you were in the UK ... well maybe just maybe it will make them realize what (deleted )idiots they are and think about doing it again the next time.

Edited by Rooo
profanity

When in Rome do as the Romans do. A very old saying. It is not just about driving, you people whinge about everything to do with Thailand. I have been here for 20 years and love it bad drivers and all. Go home

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

12860059.jpg

smile.png

Man, I've seen some wide sweeping generalizations on this board, but aside from the obliviously racist "we are superior in every way to Thais because they don't do things the way we do (back in the 'home' that I got the hell out of for some reason)" postings, this one has to take the cake for pointless subjective opinions. Are you seriously claiming that people who choose white vehicles are in some way less courteous than those who drive cars of other colours? You must have a hell of a head for numbers.

racist? RACIST? This is an unequivocal instance of blatant CARISM!

(If you want to see innocent racism at work, watch the reaction of Thai people when an African American turns up . . .)

R

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

I have deleted several posts. This topic is about an incident & please read the original post the driver was not identified as a foreigner or Thai national.

The topic has now veered to Thai bashing.

11) Do not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Like 2