No Thais allowed at Prah Wihan/Preah Vihear

KawDang

A note for anyone planning a visit to the Preah Vihear temple on the Cambodia / Thai border - no Thais are allowed.

I was surprised to discover this after travelling 3 hours north from Siem Reap with my Thai girlfriend.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Not sure whether to say:

"****ing outrageous", or

"som nam na Thailand" (for the ridiculous posturing + anti-Khmer racism)

thumbsup.gif

It does however seem to go totally against the spirit of the international determination, so I'd probably go with the first sentiment: and deffo commiserations to you and your lady who must have felt mightily peed off.

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

One way would be to be up really early say around 7 - 7.30 at the bottom of the hill and dont go to the ticket office. Take the 2000+ stairs and there you are. Pay the entrance fees on the return.

Thailand started the mess when Cambodia executed its rights and applied for World Heritage Status. There were few if any voices against the campaign by both blood and urine colored shirts.

Let's hope that things take a turn for the better and the situation normalizes further. I am pretty sure, however, that Thai requests for reopening the small border crossing for tourists visiting the temple will remain without response. The Khmers have spent a lot on developing the site. Why should they promote the opportunistic entrance fees for the Thai national park on the other side.

Sadly, the many Thai villagers pay the price for the policies of their political leaders and lost their income from the trade in the tourist market.

• Like 1

"One way would be to be up really early say around 7 - 7.30 at the bottom of the hill and dont go to the ticket office. Take the 2000+ stairs and there you are. Pay the entrance fees on the return."

Not a very bright suggestion as Cambodian Forces guard this area and there are numerous land mines about.wink.png

Not sure whether to say:

"****ing outrageous", or

"som nam na Thailand" (for the ridiculous posturing + anti-Khmer racism)

thumbsup.gif

It does however seem to go totally against the spirit of the international determination, so I'd probably go with the first sentiment: and deffo commiserations to you and your lady who must have felt mightily peed off.

"Raise our flag, high sky high, embrace the pride in our heart. ASEAN, we're bond as one, looking out to the world...etc....facepalm.gif

.YEP, that's what my Thai kids in primary level at our school had to learn last year.

And Thai teachers always complain about Cambodians as "Khamenn." Like it would be a piece of- excuse me- shit.

December 2015.........................

How do they determine whether you are Thai? Do they ask for ID cards/passports to get in?

I'd assume they use the Papaya salad trick..once they have a bite, they must be Thai and are not allowed to bring money into their empty wallets.