39 killed on roads on day one of Songkran holidays

Lite Beer

I drove to Don Muang this morning, as my wife flew home today to the north.

It was 6.30am, and I had to drive down the local major shopping street to get onto Phaholyothin Rd.

Brand new car, literally a week old... spanking new. Got half way down the road, and lo and behold.. tables in the road with <deleted>ers throwing white, talcumed, floured water. They launched at my car and splattered the screen with what I can only describe as the thickest gooey mess I have experienced yet, at Songkran. I literally couldn't see where I was going until the wash-wipe managed to clear the crap off after about 50 bloody wipes with continuous water spray.

Now my cars are parked up, covered, and going nowhere for a week.

If I'd have been travelling fast, lord knows what might have happened. It gets more ridiculous and dangerous every year.

I once enjoyed Songkran, in its more peaceful and respected older years. No I hate it with a vengeance. It is idiotic and thoughtless....and the last 10 years has seen it manifest into lunacy.

Call me an old fart if you like, but it has transcended into a complete waste of time and a dangerous time of year, and is not fun anymore - if you are a driver,(

call me an old fart if you like?------- OK Thank you------you are an old fart

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why aren't we getting the figures through as usual.

I believe the final figures are going to be well and truly doctored.

Jb1

Of course they will be doctored. They always are. So are health and disease reports. Remember when the swine flu numbers were growing so fast that the government told the press they had to get the OK from them to release the data, and get that data from them. That was the end of the numbers being in the paper every day. Can't hurt tourism, even if it costs lives.

As a previous poster said I too have seen this festival "descend into lunacy" over the last ten years. Each year it gets crazier and no end in sit to curb the madness.

Reading the oP how the army is mobilising forces, extra staff getting ready in hospitals for the wounded etc it sounds like this country is experiencing a natural disaster and it basically is. State of emergency?

It's incredible to believe the government are touting this " festival " to tourists, who would want to come here in the stinking heat and go out into the streets for what?

Thankfully I have picked up 2 months work and am out of the country, I just hope my family make it through the war.....

My wife complains U used to enjoy Songkran, why not now? I sais the novelty wore out when the stingy stuff was being thrown. Narrowly missed a woman yesterday who pulled a u-turn which put her facing on coming traffic. Me yelling you <deleted> stupid cow, and erindoors saying "Oh that's Peng's sister" As if that made a difference. Next year I am back to essential trips only.

As a previous poster said I too have seen this festival "descend into lunacy" over the last ten years. Each year it gets crazier and no end in sit to curb the madness.

Reading the oP how the army is mobilising forces, extra staff getting ready in hospitals for the wounded etc it sounds like this country is experiencing a natural disaster and it basically is. State of emergency?

It's incredible to believe the government are touting this " festival " to tourists, who would want to come here in the stinking heat and go out into the streets for what?

Thankfully I have picked up 2 months work and am out of the country, I just hope my family make it through the war.....

My wife complains U used to enjoy Songkran, why not now? I sais the novelty wore out when the stingy stuff was being thrown. Narrowly missed a woman yesterday who pulled a u-turn which put her facing on coming traffic. Me yelling you <deleted> stupid cow, and erindoors saying "Oh that's Peng's sister" As if that made a difference. Next year I am back to essential trips only.

Delete the word 'essential' and replace it with the word 'no' and you'll be a lot safer.

• Like 1

Why fit seatbelts? Thais do not use them either.

In Australia it is law that all passenger vehicles are equipped with driver and passenger airbags, volume in production dramatically reduces cost. ABS now standard equipment.

What about the hidden costs? Hospital for injured, families lose loved ones and breadwinners, grief for extended families and friends.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not sure why the article mentioned the overturned truck in Myanmar as that has nothing to do with Thai statistics even if the workers travelled from the Thai side but the truck would have been Myanmar registeted as Thai trucks can't travel more than a few km inside Myanmar. I've traveled on that road between Myawady and Kawkareik which btw are cities within Kayin state (Myawady is not a province like the article states) and although the road is one way on alternate days and quite narrow and hair raising Burmese drivers are generally able to traverse it quite safely. While Myanmar has it's own traffic problems during their water throwing festival it's a lot less extreme than in Thailand.

Japanese....90% of all cars & bikes in Thailand are made by Japanese Manufactures.

Discipline....Japan makes the fastest, baddest bikes and vehicles on planet earth..YET...They have one of the lowest roads accidents in the world.

Road Width ...Japanese roads on avg. are lot less wider or of same width than Thailand roads.

Japanese in Thailand....You never see a Japanese showing his skills on super bikes ....like...In Pattaya....He says to a bar girl...These Thai's and farangs don't know how to ride our bikes...come hop in babe...let me show you how to really ride a japanese bike for a 200 mile ride....

You hardly or never read a Japanese involved in high speed bike crash in Thailand ..Google the news....I have never read a japanese, bike accidents in one sentence...its always Thais, Russians, Indians, western tourist using Japanese bikes & cars and getting into accidents...

The point.....Discipline....Japanese have deep respect for themselves & others around...Watch some Japanese documentary on youtube, You will be amazed how respectful and disciplined they are....They don't even have to reach the stage of merits of helmet, seat belts debate...due to their sense of respect to themselves and to the community...they just do it...

Songkran, new years, roads, governments, helmet is just an excuse to hide from lack of discipline in ones life....Nothing will change unless we change ourselves...If Thais had a Discipline test, all will fail even if they pass the driver license test as its easy....but discipline in one life takes time...

I'm not judging others...I'm was also one of the show off kinds, adrenaline rides and impress the girls while drunk guy....However, I have changed after watching Japanese documentaries and their discipline in life overall..I don't own a bike, or car nor rent it...I know, Im still not upto that level..but Im learning from others...

All Thais, farangs must be made to watch Japanese documentaries before riding a bike....Its the sense of discipline that will change the stats on road accidents

I may as weel hang a photo of the front of a Silver Toyota Vigo Hilux from my rear view mirror, same view....

When there is nothing to see in the rear view mirror other than the Silver Toyota Vigo Hilux trying to drive onto your boot, I simply stop looking in the mirror and keep driving. Eventually the idiot will lose patience and pass you in the most dangerous manner you can conceive. I just watch the side mirrors to see when their coming and from which direction, and judiciously brake to let them by so they can climb onto the bumper of the next car in front of me. Predicable. Mai bpen rai.

I may as weel hang a photo of the front of a Silver Toyota Vigo Hilux from my rear view mirror, same view....

When there is nothing to see in the rear view mirror other than the Silver Toyota Vigo Hilux trying to drive onto your boot, I simply stop looking in the mirror and keep driving. Eventually the idiot will lose patience and pass you in the most dangerous manner you can conceive. I just watch the side mirrors to see when their coming and from which direction, and judiciously brake to let them by so they can climb onto the bumper of the next car in front of me. Predicable. Mai bpen rai.

"I simply stop looking in the mirror" - Probably the reason for having a Vigo right behind you in the first place. GET OUT OF THE WAY!

If you encourage them to pass " in the most dangerous manner you can conceive" - then on your own head be it.....they'll quite probably take you with them.

Edited by wilcopops

Japanese....90% of all cars & bikes in Thailand are made by Japanese Manufactures.

Discipline....Japan makes the fastest, baddest bikes and vehicles on planet earth..YET...They have one of the lowest roads accidents in the world.

Road Width ...Japanese roads on avg. are lot less wider or of same width than Thailand roads.

Japanese in Thailand....You never see a Japanese showing his skills on super bikes ....like...In Pattaya....He says to a bar girl...These Thai's and farangs don't know how to ride our bikes...come hop in babe...let me show you how to really ride a japanese bike for a 200 mile ride....

You hardly or never read a Japanese involved in high speed bike crash in Thailand ..Google the news....I have never read a japanese, bike accidents in one sentence...its always Thais, Russians, Indians, western tourist using Japanese bikes & cars and getting into accidents...

The point.....Discipline....Japanese have deep respect for themselves & others around...Watch some Japanese documentary on youtube, You will be amazed how respectful and disciplined they are....They don't even have to reach the stage of merits of helmet, seat belts debate...due to their sense of respect to themselves and to the community...they just do it...

Songkran, new years, roads, governments, helmet is just an excuse to hide from lack of discipline in ones life....Nothing will change unless we change ourselves...If Thais had a Discipline test, all will fail even if they pass the driver license test as its easy....but discipline in one life takes time...

I'm not judging others...I'm was also one of the show off kinds, adrenaline rides and impress the girls while drunk guy....However, I have changed after watching Japanese documentaries and their discipline in life overall..I don't own a bike, or car nor rent it...I know, Im still not upto that level..but Im learning from others...

All Thais, farangs must be made to watch Japanese documentaries before riding a bike....Its the sense of discipline that will change the stats on road accidents

Disciple is a moot point when you are driving your motorcycle down the road, and out of nowhere, a car or motorcycle comes screaming out of a side road without looking at traffic on the main road or slowing down or stopping to yield. You can watch their heads: the drivers come out onto the road and they are looking in the direction they are turning without ever turning their heads to look for on-coming traffic. I watched a motorcycle come out of a blind side rode onto a 4 lane frontage road. The guy must have been doing 40 kph, drove out onto the main road and across two lanes of traffic -- his head never turned to look at traffic. If a car or truck would have been there, he would have been toast. It's suicidal.

Some interesting points, but sadly you only scratch the surface and are blinkered into a single issue response. There are some points there that could be developed - like why are Thai roads which are WIDER so much more dangerous - this is actually not a problem only in Thailand - all wide straight roads whatever the country are more dangerous - in most countries various "traffic calming" measures are used and the contraction nd design of the road is aimed at restricting the possibility of collisions.

As for bikes - I believe that "monster bikes" are in fact illegal in Japan and can only be acquired as IMPORTS.

..and despite all that "discipline" Japan never rates in the top ten (eve top twenty) safest countries no matter how you look at their stats or which stats you choose to use or interpret.

there is a lot of other stuff too.

if you read up on the 5"Es" of road safety, you'll find that regardless of any kind of "national character" the road safety figures are "better" - idiot drivers exist in similar quantities all over the world (just read some of the "safety tips" by TV posters) - the key is to stop them getting on with it so freely.

Edited by wilcopops

understanding the problems of road safety in other countries is part of understanding the problems of Thailand. Time and again people post "solutions" taking one item out of context - the solutions to road safety are holistic and intrinsically interdependent, to see how this workd=s it is very important to look outside Thailand to see how other countries approach road safety - where they get it right and where they get it wrong.

"I simply stop looking in the mirror" - Probably the reason for having a Vigo right behind you in the first place. GET OUT OF THE WAY!

If you encourage them to pass " in the most dangerous manner you can conceive" - then on your own head be it.....they'll quite probably take you with them.

This sort of stuff happens even when I'm driving on the highway in the left-hand (slow) lane while traveling 80 kph. I'm not driving onto the shoulder to let a driving psychopath have his way. The individuals that "push" me are almost always driving far in excess of posted speed limits, or common sense for the road conditions. It's their own impatience that spurs them to pass on blind corners, pass on the shoulders, pass when traffic is oncoming forcing vehicles in the opposite lane onto shoulder, and generally drive like dangerous fools. I drive sanely and fully aware of what's around me. When I say "I simply stop looking in the mirror" the meaning is that I don't focus on the mirror and the car behind me - I focus on the traffic in front and the sides of me. I've very aware of what is behind me. I have no control of stupid and dangerous drivers, I just make sure to minimize danger to myself when they finally do something insane. Don't put it on me or other cautious, sane drivers, bro'. I'm not responsible for the actions of aggressive, egocentric, and dangerous individuals who get behind the wheel and drive with utter abandon. Thai road stats speak for themselves.

Edited by connda

This sort of stuff happens even when I'm driving on the highway in the left-hand (slow) lane while traveling 80 kph. I'm not driving onto the shoulder to let a driving psychopath have his way. The individuals that "push" me are almost always driving far in excess of posted speed limits, or common sense for the road conditions. It's their own impatience that spurs them to pass on blind corners, pass on the shoulders, pass when traffic is oncoming forcing vehicles in the opposite lane onto shoulder, and generally drive like dangerous fools. I drive sanely and fully aware of what's around me. When I say "I simply stop looking in the mirror" the meaning is that I don't focus on the mirror and the car behind me - I focus on the traffic in front and the sides of me. I've very aware of what is behind me. I have no control of stupid and dangerous drivers, I just make sure to minimize danger to myself when they finally do something insane. Don't put it on me or other cautious, sane drivers, bro'. I'm not responsible for the actions of aggressive, egocentric, and dangerous individuals who get behind the wheel and drive with utter abandon. Thai road stats speak for themselves.

The more you write the more I'm persuaded that you seriously need to look at the way you drive especially how you relate to other road users.

you also appear to be adhering to a mythical highway code that you dreamed up in another country....all of this is a recipe for disaster.

Edited by wilcopops

Drunken driving was the major cause at 31 per cent, followed by speeding at 22 per cent.
Message to all;
69 % of deaths were caused by water and tea drinkers.
78% killed by people that obey the speed limit.

​Friends don't let friends drive slow and straight. Very very dangerous.

• Like 1

Drunken driving was the major cause at 31 per cent, followed by speeding at 22 per cent.

Message to all;

69 % of deaths were caused by water and tea drinkers.

78% killed by people that obey the speed limit.

​Friends don't let friends drive slow and straight. Very very dangerous.

Yes indeed

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

wilcopops, on 14 Apr 2014 - 16:43, said:

The more you write the more I'm persuaded that you seriously need to look at the way you drive especially how you relate to other road users.

you also appear to be adhering to a mythical highway code that you dreamed up in another country....all of this is a recipe for disaster.

Nice troll, wilcopops. See ya. Bye

Edited by connda

Some interesting points, but sadly you only scratch the surface and are blinkered into a single issue response. There are some points there that could be developed - like why are Thai roads which are WIDER so much more dangerous - this is actually not a problem only in Thailand - all wide straight roads whatever the country are more dangerous - in most countries various "traffic calming" measures are used and the contraction nd design of the road is aimed at restricting the possibility of collisions.

As for bikes - I believe that "monster bikes" are in fact illegal in Japan and can only be acquired as IMPORTS.

..and despite all that "discipline" Japan never rates in the top ten (eve top twenty) safest countries no matter how you look at their stats or which stats you choose to use or interpret.

if you read up on the 5"Es" of road safety, you'll find that regardless of any kind of "national character" the road safety figures are "better" - idiot drivers exist in similar quantities all over the world (just read some of the "safety tips" by TV posters) - the key is to stop them getting on with it so freely.

90% bikes made in Japan, its not the bikes, its the egos that maim and kill.

90% bikes made in Japan, its not the bikes, its the egos that maim and kill.

Come on! The bikes you see in Thailand are mostly made in Thailand by Japanese brands in companies that are largely Thai owned - they have to be. Until recently it was illegal to make bike in Thailand over 150 cc. I'm not even sure how much that has changed. the number of large bikes in Thailand is pretty minute.

as for egos - eve the most resilient ego is easily damaged if the owner isn't wearing a crash helmet. 70% of ALL annual road deaths in Thailand are motorcyclists and you can bet your bottom dollar that a huge proportion of those are down to head injuries that could have been avoided with a crash-hat.

people miss the point of a helmet, it can do little in direct impact, but it is the little glancing blows that kill people quite unnecessarily she they don't wear a hat. Ask anyone who has had the misfortune to attend a motorcycle RTAs and they will tell you the number of times they have seen someone apparently completely uninjured lying dead on there road due to an internal head wound. they often appear to recover from the fall until suddenly a massive haemorrhage switches them out like a light.

That they aren't wearing a hat may be their fault, but so often whilst driving perfectly respectably, they are knocked off by someone else who in turn has made some driving error. every road incident is different and glibly attributing blame or cause to one particular cause or kind of driver just flies in the face of the evidence.

Mmm just another point, I do not know statistics, but there are far more bikes on the road here than I have ever seen, that is why they figure so high in road deaths.

I have said on many occasions that far too often people on Thaivisa put the road safety situation in Thailand down to very simplistic reasons. Single issues are not the right way to address the problem. yes there ARE a lot more motorcycles in Thailand than say US or UK and the accident rate will most likely be proportionately higher, but this cannot be regarded as the only reason. Vietnam and Cambodia have a much higher percentage of motorcycles and even less disciplined traffic yet they lag behind Thailand on road deaths (if that is the right expression)

Other factors you could take into account are that Thailand has a higher number of 4 wheeled vehicles than both these countries and faster roads, maybe these two items have a bearing on there matter?

What about emergency services? Thailand's are appalling.

The predominant use of pickups which compared to sedans, have bodies that are highly unfriendly to those they collide with.

all of these factors work against the motorcyclist.

Correction;

Super bikes are available in Japan. In addition, bikes you don't ever see outside Japan. The 1100 cc version of the Zepher, the 1500 cc Kawasaki Vulcan. The 800W version of the Kawasaki classic 650W, Every Ninja, Katna, and classic 900 Z1 Kawasaki. All the explosiveness and reliability of a hand grenade.

Plus HD choppers, hopper, and cop-stoppers, BMW pron stars, Ducati Monsters and Victory Judge is here, looking well-hung! I EVEN SAW A Guzzi V7 the other day, 2013 modle and riding next to him was a classic 1960 RS 1000 BMW.

No, it isn't the bikes.

It is the difficulty getting a big bike license, in Japan! Anyone, and I mean anyone, who can navigate the Japanese motorcycle license mine-field and get the damn thing is, by virtue of that ALONE, much better trained than any other bike rider you will see.

And THAT, my friends, is why you see so few bike accidents involving Japanese. They are trained better.

It seems that large bikes were severely restricted in Japan until this century. To get hold of one they had to be privately imported....even Japanese bikes. Then they were also restricted to 80 kph on freeways whilst other traffic was restricted to 100.They were also forbidden from carrying a pillion. They are now more freely available...it would seem as a result of a US restricted trade action.

However they are still restricted to 100 kph. If you look at the state of the roads in Japan and the levels of enforcement it is quite clear that it is not just down to the drivers themselves or even training, but they are simply not given the leeway to be as stupid as they can be in Thailand. One of the main proiblkemns in Thailand is the driuvning enbviuronment itself. Thailand has a lot of large, broad straight roads, but unlike places like Europe and Japan where outside interferences are virtually eliminated the roads of Thailand are open to all sorts of external hazards, couple this with almost zero enforcement and you have a recipe for disaster........ And this is all before you consider training for riders.....even trained drivers can still be stupid, regardless of nationality.

Edited by wilcopops