Thai Police chief: Police must lend hands to those in need

webfact

Police chief: Police must lend hands to those in need

KALASIN, 14 April 2014 (NNT) – The Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police says police officers are the ones people rely on when they are in trouble. Therefore, all policemen must always be well-prepared for any circumstances.

Royal Thai Police Chief Pol Gen Adul Saengsingkaew visited his subordinates in Kalasin Province to inspect their work and gave a policy guideline for them to follow. He told them to lend hands to the public as the people would always count on the police to help them in time of difficulties.

He also urged them to be alert and well-prepared especially this time of year when crime rates are usually high - adding that drug smugglers could take this opportunity to sneak drugs and other illegal objects into the capital.

He also expressed worries about road casualties during the “seven day” period of Songkran, and at the same time assured that more than 90,000 officers have been deployed to all corners of Thailand to ensure that death rate would be low this year.

The police chief added that response centers have been set up in various locations throughout the country in case of an emergency.

As for the current political situation, he said he wanted to see peace and unity restored in this country so that Thailand was able to move forward.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-04-14 footer_n.gif

Yeh, Police do offer their hand open to receive the bribes from the people.

Why don't you try to be a little more positive? What he says makes good sense - we are all aware of the problems with corruption here in Thailand but it (corruption/scamming) occurs everywhere.

We as adults try to show/teach children to approach a policeman if they sense trouble - why not try the same approach in Thailand?

You mention "open hands" to accept a bribe - well why not expand that to " open hands" to offer assistance which would be be far more effective.

I have found Thai people to be very suprised when told that you should go to the police for help - so yes we need to change their outlook lets try to help not always knock.

Why don't you try to be a little more positive? What he says makes good sense - we are all aware of the problems with corruption here in Thailand but it (corruption/scamming) occurs everywhere.

We as adults try to show/teach children to approach a policeman if they sense trouble - why not try the same approach in Thailand?

You mention "open hands" to accept a bribe - well why not expand that to " open hands" to offer assistance which would be be far more effective.

I have found Thai people to be very suprised when told that you should go to the police for help - so yes we need to change their outlook lets try to help not always knock.

mmmmm . . . I see it as the annual (weekly) "we're not really corrupt, thieving bad guys" statement.

When things change WITHIN the RTP, THEN people might start trusting them more. I don't see that happening anytime soon however, the money's too good to be honest.

I have met (and read about) "some" honest Policemen/women, but as a whole, the group is as corrupt as they get. So reform this "institution" and then perhaps they'll get back some of the love, respect and trust that you're asking people to give them.

P.S. - it's hard to remain "positive" here when statements like this are trotted out at whim and nothing changes. It's just PR.

• Like 2

Visited a friend in northern UK some years

ago and his wife complained about a neighbour burning tyres in his yard. She looked surprised when I asked what the police were doing. Police? Why should we get the police ? The problem was eventually solved. 'by other man's.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

The police chief is indeed right in saying this, pity twenty five per - cent in the force are open to corruption and of course there is quiet a few loose strings in solving crime or finding anyone who matters, even high profile bond jumpers with "I am here", stickers on their forehead seem to present a challenge, then I could be un-sympathetic and say lend a hand , to who , the PTP and the red shirts , a damaged brand problem here Chief and the officers present and past , have only themselves to blame .coffee1.gif

All the majority of police care about is money. To get that they must take bribes and be a red shirt Thaksin supporter.

The force, in its current form, is beyond redemption

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There is corruption in police departments all over the world. The police in Pakistan arrested a 9 month old for attempted murder. Chicago Illinois, the best police money can buy. Other town through out the USA, use speed traps to make extra money. Than we have the federal government.

all policemen must always be well-prepared for any circumstances.. All Police men must be educated to a high standard so they can understand who they work for and what their job description is and have a basic understanding of the law this might help a little, rather than a job for life mentality and good money from the back handers from criminals

The Police I've seen at their post or trolling around in various provinces;

approach their job as an after the fact,

clean up the mess crew.

Nothing more.

They will causally watch the show,

gladly charge the parties involved 500 bht for the incident,

and remove any of the seriously injured.

They in no way wish to be in the middle of the turmoil,

if it's not in the media eye,

and they certainly won't draw sides,

unless it's Thai & Foreigner altercation.

They enjoy wearing their uniforms tight,

and don't wish to have to put on protection,

because they are placing themselves in danger.

They don't appear to become Police to protect & serve,

but to be above the lower population...

rather a person with a sense of power,

without having to come from a family with great deal of money.

No bashing going on here, it's just how things are,

and how they go about their business IMO.

The Police are cautious here,

and protective towards themselves.

In many ways it fine, they don't bother others unless we bother them,

and it's best to sort out our situations on our own,

or have our own network in place,

when we can't address the situations that arise in life.

This certainly appears to be the Thai way,

we just wish to change it.

Though by changing it, is it really any better,

where we are from?

Are we any safer in the countries we are from?

I think not!

This is not for us to change,

as it has worked for so long before we come to rest here,

and call it our home.

If...somehow things did change because of our opinions & influence,

we would only be isolating ourselves from the Thai's,

as they prefer the ways things are...and so do I.

• Like 2

It appears that there are some forward thinking leaders in the police hierarchy...the problem will be getting the rank and file policeman to buy into the new view and rhetoric...it will be very difficult to change the police culture of corruption...bribes...extortion...lack of concern for those in need...good luck...

mijan, I wish I could be more positive.

Living in Europe or USA that would be the norm, to approach the police and ask for their help.

But living in Thailand for the past 7 years, I have bad experience of what police are willing to offer.

Don't listen to the misleading statements, what he says makes good sense what they do is another story.

Police have a dedicated number 191.

Try ringing this number, either nobody will answer or even if eventually somebody pick up the phone, they will avoid to give you any assistance.

Thais nowadays ring 1669 that is the hospital emergency assistance to get an answer.

Your house is burgled, you ask them to come.

The answer will be, sorry we are too busy.

If you are lucky they will appear in 1 on two days later and their reaction will be, Sorry nothing we can do.

Look at the kids roaming around the internet shops during school hours.

I asked a policeman once, please do something about that.

His answer was, not my job and he turned his back to me.

I can go on and on giving you examples of the incompetence of the police.

Yes, Thai people do not trust them, same as me, and I don't blame them.

The change will not come from the people but from the reform of the police.

Big words and statements do nothing.

So any update on the capture of the Trat terrorists? Any leads? CCTV footage you can release to the public? Anything at all?

Sorry - not this year, to busy with important things like protecting a fugitives and his clones collective <deleted>.

Is Thailand unique in having a centralized police force, that is, one in which all authority originates from the capital city? Or is the system in the US unique, with federal police being the FBI, state police primarily seen as the highway patrol, county police or sheriff and his or her deputies, and lastly municipal police forces for each city? And, though who can say, would it make any difference in the operation of the Thai police officers if they reported to a local rather than the national government?

And of course, assuming something needs to be done to increase the integrity of the police, raising the issue on a web forum isn't going to change anything. Just wondering.