Highest Rooftop Restaurant In The World

Sunbelt Asia

The othernight I was at a Amcham meeting and " Wow" was all I could say. It was at Sirocco Restaurant on top of State Tower.

http://angkor.com/2bangkok/buildings/state/state.shtml

The second highest rooftop restaurant in the world is also in Bangkok

http://www.2bangkok.com/2bangkok/buildings...estaurant.shtml

The pictures don't give the same feeling. Want to feel you are in the clouds? This does it!

WWW.sunbeltasia.com

On the subject of tall buildings, does anyone know the definative answer to why the 'Sofitel Chao Phraya' never opened. I've always felt sorry for that impressive looking building sitting there crumbling away dreaming of what could have been.

I've heard many stories about it but I'd like the true answer just to satisfy my curiosity.

Can't help you Flummoxed, but here's another tall building that (hopefully) will never be built.

Our Cheerless Leader, last year, had thoughts on the New Bangkok Airport. He wants the NBIA to build the tallest Control Tower in the world (this is true!).

Now sticking the tallest CT in the world in the middle of a major airport may seem like a good idea to some, but ......

A friend of mine wrote a report on it. Here it is...

Sirocco, 63/F State Tower Bangkok, 1055 Silom Rd. 02-624-9555 Open Daily 6-11pm. Bar opens until 1am Cc accepted.

Up and away climbing 63 floors up the State Tower Bangkok (I believe Metropolitan Hotel)on Silom Road (past the expressway)to this simple yet scenic restaurant on the roof. A flight of descending stairs offers a breathtaking entrance to the lower-level dining area, which resembles a simple yet elegant layered courtyard with a panoramic view of the city.

The food here is Mediterranean Cuisine. Appetizer was ultra crispy baby calamari (B290), for the main course I had the tender pan-seared pepper-crusted fillet of rare tuna (raw) with petite nicoise salad (B590). Excellent both. My companion had the snapper (equally good he said) and my GF had the pork medallions (most tender pork she or I have ever had in Bkk.) Dinner for the three with drinks and Cuban cigars at the bar while we waited for our table (I never make reservations) ran about 3300 baht. Entertainment is a live quartet jazz band.

All in all a nice dinner. Not recommended for the boys night out. Definitely for dating and friends.

Food: Excellent.

Price: $$$

Ambience: Breathtaking. Especially if you have vertigo.

Wind up on the 63 floors: You feel it! Bring a jacket or sweater.

www.sunbeltasia.com

On the subject of tall buildings, does anyone know the definative answer to why the 'Sofitel Chao Phraya' never opened. I've always felt sorry for that impressive looking building sitting there crumbling away dreaming of what could have been.

I've heard many stories about it but I'd like the true answer just to satisfy my curiosity.

my lawyer mate told me that the BMA (BKK city council) didn't give the final approval for the building. Why I don't know (probably hi-so's politics is the real reason - maybe). The official reason was that it is sinking. Probably a combination of the two.