Malaysia, My Second Home Programme

The Malaysia, My Second Home Programme that was launched in 2002 has so far attracted 8,574 foreign citizens.

The majority of the applicants are from China (1,779), Bangladesh (1,088), Britain (773), Taiwan (558), Singapore (510), Indonesia (409), India (390), Japan (356), Pakistan (257), Hong Kong (218), United States (206), South Korea (148) and Australia (124).

• 3 months later...

Looks so nice. But a country with islam as official religion makes me feel strange...

And I remember an ex prime minister who was sent to jail, because of a law condemning... "sodomy"...

Be my guest... another light on this beautifuuuuuuuul country... way beyond the "civilized" face that Malaysia wants to show to the world.

I like very much the "four strokes of the cane". That's very trendy.

http://mailman1.u.washington.edu/pipermail...ust/001443.html

And what about this woman, converted christian, guilty of apostasy ?

http://www.asianews.it/view.php?l=en&art=7065

Sodomy verdicts - a major setback for human rights

The sentences passed today against former deputy Prime Minister Anwar

Ibrahim and his adopted brother, Sukma Darmawan Sasmitaat Madja,

highlight the vulnerability of all Malaysians to selective, politically

motivated prosecutions using restrictive or discriminatory laws --

including those relating to free speech, to peaceful protest and, in

this case, to sodomy, Amnesty International said.

Anwar Ibrahim and Sukma Darmawan were found guilty on charges of sodomy

by the High Court in Kuala Lumpur and sentenced to terms of imprisonment

of nine and six years respectively. Sukma Darmawan, being under 50 years

of age, was also sentenced to four strokes of the cane.

There are always examples for whatever you want implied.

But what's your point?

Malaysia is a safe country with a good, developing economy and generally very friendly people.

It is a country that is more welcome of tourists and tourism. (Heard of any murdered tourists in Thailand lately? How about ALL the time?)

True, living in an Islamic country is something to adjust to for many of us, but so is living in a Buddhist one.

Now, if only we could import busloads of phuying over, I'd be all set!

Malaysia is a safe country with a good, developing economy and generally very friendly people.

It is a country that is more welcome of tourists and tourism.

:D

thats true...

and 3 month-entry for free

and now with THAI-ATMs

but.... :D

:o

Edited by lung

But what's your point?

My point is : you can not put on the same level a boudhist country with a muslim state. Or a secular country with a muslim state.

You can not put on the same level "murder rate" with a political and cultural issue.

So actually, what is your point ?

I just say : before to play the Walt Disney and the Cinderella's Castle by saying to the people "Come to Malaysia"... You need to assess the global situation.

Did you do it ? Do you follow the news in Malaysia ? Do you follow for instance the declarations of Malaysia that support Iran in its quest for nuclear power ?

Google it, and you will find many of them.

Don't get me wrong : i don't say that people in Malaysia are not "friendly", or that the country has a high or a low murder rate. That's not the issue.

Once again, a reasonable person needs to go beyond the nice brochures and pictures, and assess the whole situation.

They have an islamist opposition party that clearly call for the application of sharia law.

The PAS received 15 % of the votes in 2004 general elections. OK, they lost seats, but they gained votes ! In 1999, they received 994 000 votes. And in 2004 : 1 052 000...

History shows us that islamists extremists can create large problems with much less support within the population.

Of course, now, if you pretend that sharia is not an "extremist" way to manage a society... well i'm afraid I can't help you. However, a quick trip to Saudia Arabia could help you.

Islamic law does have its good points e.g.

"Malaysia permits text message divorce", BBC News, 27 July, 2003

Getting a quickie divorce has taken on a whole new meaning in Malaysia after it was decided that a man can divorce his wife with a text message.

Although such a notification of divorce may seem astonishingly brief to some, under Islamic law men are allowed to divorce their wives simply be saying the word 'talaq' - I divorce you - three times.

I think the advice for Thailand is also for Malaysia.

'Don't invest more than you can walk away from'

How long was that visa...... 10 years?

What happens after that, do you have permanent residency, citizenship?

I would not want to be dependant on a visa, which laws seem to change quickly all over the world. Xenophobia is not something that happens in Thailand only. Just wait for a small economic depression, and you know who will be blamed.

Add me to the list!

Thailand doesn't want me anymore, so I'm seriously considering Malaysia as one of my options.

The best places to find out more:

http://mm2h.motour.gov.my/

http://www.malaysia-my-second-home.com/

Nothing to get phobic about Malaysian politicians' exhortations of support for Iran and the Islamic world, the Malaysian government is known for acting in variance with its official position on international affairs. So one wouldn't get too worried about what to expect if you decide to reside in Malaysia.

The bottomline in Malaysia is business from tourism and retirement schemes and the government there is not going to jeopardise its economy on account of politics anytrime soon.

A pleasant place to visit and retire, many Malaysians who don't see eye-to-eye with the government have migrated to Australia and the US but still visit home every year in absolute safety.

If the worst happens, you can still pack up and fly home to more temperate climates and not feel much loss as a consequence. If you can put politics and religion (proselytizing) on the backburner you will certainly enjoy your long term stay in Malaysia.

But what's your point?

My point is : you can not put on the same level a boudhist country with a muslim state. Or a secular country with a muslim state.

You can not put on the same level "murder rate" with a political and cultural issue.

So actually, what is your point ?

I just say : before to play the Walt Disney and the Cinderella's Castle by saying to the people "Come to Malaysia"... You need to assess the global situation.

Did you do it ? Do you follow the news in Malaysia ? Do you follow for instance the declarations of Malaysia that support Iran in its quest for nuclear power ?

Google it, and you will find many of them.

Don't get me wrong : i don't say that people in Malaysia are not "friendly", or that the country has a high or a low murder rate. That's not the issue.

Once again, a reasonable person needs to go beyond the nice brochures and pictures, and assess the whole situation.

They have an islamist opposition party that clearly call for the application of sharia law.

The PAS received 15 % of the votes in 2004 general elections. OK, they lost seats, but they gained votes ! In 1999, they received 994 000 votes. And in 2004 : 1 052 000...

History shows us that islamists extremists can create large problems with much less support within the population.

Of course, now, if you pretend that sharia is not an "extremist" way to manage a society... well i'm afraid I can't help you. However, a quick trip to Saudia Arabia could help you.

I didn't know about those things.. thanks for the info.

However, Malaysia has a 1.8% population growth rate. Which means that the "994,000" number in 1999 would be 1,086,739 in 2004 if kept in proportion with the rest of the population. So, the number has really decreased about 3%.

Regardless, I'm uncomfortable being in a religious country with a religion I don't understand.

Both Malaysia and Thailand has its pros and cons. I do know, however, that both are risky countries to live in, but only Malaysia seems welcoming to foreigners. We've learned from the Thai government that important rules can change with little or no notice (or at least the enforcement of pre-existing ones).

Who would think the Thai government would be pulling a fast one? Oh, wait...

Regardless, I'm uncomfortable being in a religious country with a religion I don't understand.

Hi.

And you understand Bhuddism? I tried but gave up. Too many hypocrits in Thailand. 5 years here and I am also looking at Malaysia. It serves its purpose: Close to Thailand for nice trips back, close to wife's province (Phuket).

I have never stayed in Malaysia for extended periods of time. But even the Muslim girls at Macdonalds give you a smile and wish you well when you leave. I have met Muslims everywhere and not one gave me a look of disdain. They are truly friendlier. I cannot say that about the ethnic Chinese in Malaysia. And forget about the Indians there.

Regards,

Edited by sniperteam6

I agree that ethnic Malays are very, very friendly people. Perhaps some of the most trustworthy people I've ever known, besides Quakers.

I don't understand Buddhism 100%, but I can understand it's basic maxims and passive nature. And I have my own interpretation of what the 'middle way' is, but at least I'm thinking about it. Islam is just too confusing for me. (Saying one thing and doing another isn't my cup of tea. That's been my experience with the few Muslims I've known. Perhaps I should meet more.)

Edited by thohts

Stayed there for over one year. Is ok country. Even as a non-muslim, it is easy to adapt with this friendly people. Although there is an almost non-spoken tension between the chinese and malay which, under control, is ok... if it ever erupts (again), I wouldn't like to be there....

every country has it pro's and con's. What would happen here if the military takes over?

Islamic law does have its good points e.g.

"Malaysia permits text message divorce", BBC News, 27 July, 2003

Getting a quickie divorce has taken on a whole new meaning in Malaysia after it was decided that a man can divorce his wife with a text message.

Although such a notification of divorce may seem astonishingly brief to some, under Islamic law men are allowed to divorce their wives simply be saying the word 'talaq' - I divorce you - three times.

Handy but don't forget you'd need to be a converted muslim to 'reap' that perk!

Don't get me wrong I don't have a big problem, but it would be nice to hear from expat people living in Malaysia about what its really like?

I mean the nightlife and chilled out ways of Thailand is what brought 95% of expats over in the first place. Unless malaysia has this, along with cheap living and the girly factor (Kuala Lumphar maybe?) its got a shaky chance at best.

Edited by JimsKnight

Add me to the list!

Thailand doesn't want me anymore, so I'm seriously considering Malaysia as one of my options.

Please read the requirments. Much more expensive and stringent than Thailand. They do have an option for under 50, but requires over 100K USD fixed deposit. How many tourist visa runs can you do for that?

All this talk about the Malaysian option is hilarious. Oh, and they already have sharia police there, they only have enforcement on Muslims though. They are known to go into bars areas and literally drag out any Muslim women they find. Not a pretty sight.

Go for guys, you will love it. One thing some of you of might like, most Malay or Chinese freelancers you pick up won't make you take a shower first...

TH