Ke-70 Corolla vacuum hose removed...

A little update on my notorious 30-year-old Ke-70: it was running just slightly roughly last week, and it turned out one of the two vacuum 'hoses' which extend out of the head and to the carb/air intake area was leaking. I and many mechanics had noted that this hose was in quite bad shape for years, stuck onto the head in a kind of jury-rigged way with tape and whatnot. Apparently by last week it had become so bad all the vacuum was escaping.

So, this mechanic said that there wasn't any need for it, that one vacuum hose would be enough, and simply removed the hose and capped off the hole with a little rubber cap. The car does seem to run fine this way, but I'm a bit skeptical. He said it would be very problematic to find the replacement part, but I'm wondering if there's any negative effect of dispensing with this hose? What does the vacuum actuate? The operations of the carburetor? Something to do with the air-intake? The choke?

A guess. The hose is connected to the intake to burn off fumes from the engine. It can/will have a valve on the engine to open and close at different vacuum "strengths".

If you remove it the intake end must be plugged and the carb will have to be adjusted. The engine end must be open to get rid of fumed pressure. I had one on a ride where I ran a hose into a bottle to collect any oil.

Here's a pic of my engine from the net.. its a Toyota '2K' engine: the 993cc version of the Toyota K engine. The Hose in question is the one nearer to the back of the head in the picture. You can see the first one - which still remains on the engine - slightly nearer to the front of the engine. The mechanic implied that 'one was enough, two not necessary'.

1368257244_509310210_1-Pictures-of--2K-E

Edited by ClareQuilty

It is an engine "breather", as I thought. If the engine runs OK do not worry. My eyes are not to good so cannot see the front hose stuff.

You can connect any bit of hose to keep it original if you want. If the removed hose is not capped engine end you will get oil smell in the car.

Thanks very much guys. I wonder why the mechanics were so reluctant to bother replacing it, if a special hard-to-find part isn't really necessary? I'll probably take it back next week after the holiday nonsense is over and try to get them to fix it up - though it runs OK as is, I'd like it to be 'correct' if it doesn't cost too much.

That's why, they wanted to get to songkran.. laugh.png Couldn't be bothered with your old car..

On a more serious note, as T/A says it is a breather and while not extraordinarily important, it does serve a purpose to extricate dirty potentially explosive gas build up from the engine and remove what ends up being a positive pressure condition in the oil pan from the rotating crank which in some extreme cases can force oil out of the oil dip stick tube but also causes resistance to the crank rotation in terms of built up crank case pressure.

Your mechanic is a fool!

Your probably right! On that model ( I bought a coupe for my first wife) that hose is connected to the very important part called the venturi regulator inlet control device. Disconnecting it can have an accumulation of explosive gases accumulate in the lower engine chamber. The one that should be dis-connected is the black hose (25mm osd) that is attached to the front of the engine....under the air cleaner snorkel. On some K engines it on the carby side. On some models the black hose is 22.4mm osd....do not disconnect that hose. There is also a model with a 22.9mm hose which can be dis-connected but what I found is if you have a round black plug that fits inside, drill a 3.3mm hole through the plug, to allow some gas to flow, jam it in the hose and refit. That's good for improved drivability and a slight decrease in diesel consumption.

It pays to get the right mechanic to work on a complex engine such as fitted to the K model. biggrin.png

Your mechanic is a fool!

Your probably right! On that model ( I bought a coupe for my first wife) that hose is connected to the very important part called the venturi regulator inlet control device. Disconnecting it can have an accumulation of explosive gases accumulate in the lower engine chamber. The one that should be dis-connected is the black hose (25mm osd) that is attached to the front of the engine....under the air cleaner snorkel. On some K engines it on the carby side. On some models the black hose is 22.4mm osd....do not disconnect that hose. There is also a model with a 22.9mm hose which can be dis-connected but what I found is if you have a round black plug that fits inside, drill a 3.3mm hole through the plug, to allow some gas to flow, jam it in the hose and refit. That's good for improved drivability and a slight decrease in diesel consumption.

It pays to get the right mechanic to work on a complex engine such as fitted to the K model. biggrin.png

That sounds like a very flowery name for a PCV valve. clap2.gif

• Like 1

Your mechanic is a fool!

Yehhhhh, I could not think what it was called thumbsup.gif ........Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve..........smile.png .......Costs about 10 bht........laugh.png

Well I've no way of knowing the intelligence of my mechanic, but another mechanic I had looking at the car yesterday said the same thing 'no need for that hose'. (I had the car in to 'B-Quick' over the Songkran holiday as the battery was dead).

I have since researched the purpose of the hose online in light of the helpful hints provided above, and I do think it is advisable to have it replaced. I'm hoping I can persuade some mechanic to do it.

If you can't find the correct shaped hose, buy a length of rubber vacuum hose that fits and coil it around, don't matter what it looks like.....smile.png

Well, I'm not capable of or inclined towards DIY, I need to get a mechanic to do that.. :)

If you can't find the correct shaped hose, buy a length of rubber vacuum hose that fits and coil it around, don't matter what it looks like.....smile.png

Well, I'm not capable of or inclined towards DIY, I need to get a mechanic to do that.. smile.png

Where do you live ?

Your mechanic is a fool!

No mate I was talking about the other end and the part that is connected to the combusters.

Your mechanic is a fool!

No mate I was talking about the other end and the part that is connected to the combusters.

You've successfully lost me. hehe

Your mechanic is a fool!

The combusters ?

If it was me I would block it at the carby and leave the hose off the engine. if it has enough blow by to be forcing oil out of it stick some heater hose on it and put a coke bottle on the other end to collect the oil.

Edited by Spoonman

Ah, 4 years at university has finally paid off!

Ah, 4 years at university has finally paid off!

Perhaps 6 - 8 years may have been preferable?

^ + ^^

I got lost at the bit where it said diesel consumption would decrease and the OP's car is benzine.

Yaa Hoo, we have a winner! How many others read that and didn't spot the deliberate error???

Thanks very much guys. I wonder why the mechanics were so reluctant to bother replacing it, if a special hard-to-find part isn't really necessary? I'll probably take it back next week after the holiday nonsense is over and try to get them to fix it up - though it runs OK as is, I'd like it to be 'correct' if it doesn't cost too much.

You can easy buy lengths of the correct silicon hose used for vacuum. If you can't find a place local just search on eBay, you can get a full set of all the hoses/clips etc from china for around say 400฿. Or you could just rid of that 2k & get a 4-AGE 16v in there or a 20v ! Got any photos of your corolla ? I'm also a KE-70 owner. Here's mine.

post-146097-13980572387125_thumb.jpg

got any photos of your corolla ? I'm also a KE-70 owner.

Your car looks very nice, sobmx. Mine is absolutely original, it used to look rather decent but not so nice now (in this photo you can't see the accident on the left front):

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3599/ujqo7ebf_jpg.htm

Edited by ClareQuilty

got any photos of your corolla ? I'm also a KE-70 owner.

Your car looks very nice, sobmx. Mine is absolutely original, it used to look rather decent but not so nice now (in this photo you can't see the accident on the left front):

http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3599/ujqo7ebf_jpg.htm

Looks tidy ! Slant front but that's a different front bumper on there. Maybe off a ae82 or something, I have seen a few over here with that different bumper. Good to see a original one not butchered !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand