So Pa Kor Land

daboyz1

I'm up here in Si Saket trying to figure out this land thing. My wife's mother in law is going to give her 4 rai in the village. My wife is saying that she can build a house on the land, but for some reason she can't sell it. She has the Chanote, but keeps yakking about something called so pa kor or SPA. Anyone have an idea what this means?

'Chanote' is a title to the land. You've stated the land to be "so pa kor". It cant be both. I think that you're under the belief that 'Chanote' means 'the and papers'.

I checked some more. It is sor pa gor and there is no chanote.

Invest some time and money on an English speaking lawyer who can answer you questions and explain the Thai process&paperwork.

I wish I had done that many years ago!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Invest some time and money on an English speaking lawyer who can answer you questions and explain the Thai process&paperwork.

I wish I had done that many years ago!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No need to. Everything you need to know about land titles is available on the net, in good English.

• Like 2

don't go there

That may or may not be good advice. It depends on what expectations the OP has.

"Paisal said Sor Por Kor land cannot be sold, and the holding rights can only be transferred to heirs, agricultural organisations or the ALRO." .. source

Maybe the land cannot be sold, but it can be built on and lived on

The land can be transferred to family. We went to the agricultural land office in si saket Friday. There were about 30 families doing just that. Unfortunately you need to bring the entire family as well as the poo yai ban. They ask some questions about how many kilos of rice are being produced each season etc. I talked to another faring in the village that built his house on sor por kor land and it wasn't a problem as long as the poo yai ban is cool with it. His wife has applied for a proper chanote. Apparently that takes a couple years. I'll post again tomorrow after the trip to the PAO.

His wife has applied for a proper chanote. Apparently that takes a couple years. I'll post again tomorrow after the trip to the PAO.

More than a "couple of years", I would guess. If my MIL had a chanode on her spread she would be a multi-millionaire

FYI, even what is commonly referred to a "chanote" may not always be a land title. Our previous spread had a Nor Sor 3 (small red Garuda stamp). One day I referred to it as a "Chanote". Wife corrected me saying that NS3 is a document that states the land "ownership" is recorded at the land department. Apparently, a land title is a Nor Sor 4 Jor -- has the large red stamp.

Our land had to be measured when we applied for a NS4. It takes a long to get that one. An announcement regarding the measurement and application had to be published for something like 90 days before the last steps to issue the land title. Still hadn't been issued months later when we sold the place. And this is land + house previously built and just 500m off the divided road from Korat to Wang Nam Keio (~8 km south of the Korat Zoo turnoff).

just dropped by to say hi to a fellow TV at Sisaket.

am now at Big C, waiting for my 3.40 movie.

where is your wife's hometown btw?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by eyz

Went to the PAO with half the village this morning and got everything ALMOST done. Turns out they redrew the boundaries for the Moobans and the pooyai baan we took no longer has anything to do with the land in question. Drove back from Si Saket and went to about 5 different houses until we found the right guy. Took him back to the PAO and got everything finished. My MIL has to go back in a month or so to pick up the new SPG(s) in my wife's name. Seems half the people up here have houses built on SPG land, so doesn't seem like it will be an issue down the road as long as the pooyai baan approves it.

A little advice. If you need to deal with this, get to the PAO as early as possible. They open at 8:30 but you want to get there early to get a number so that you're called early.

• 4 weeks later...

Sor Por Kor is a kind of title deed that can't be transferred except by inheritance. It is normally written on the back in Thai that you can't transfer it except by inheritance. They have a special office for Sor Por Kor. It is NOT the land department. The land department deals with Nor Sor Sam, Nor Sor Sam Kor and Chanotte.

You will find the mention Sor Por Kor (S.P.K.) on the front, in the upper right corner.

A chanotte is a full title deed. It is also called Nor Sor Si Jor (N.S.4.J). Some chanotte can also have limits if it is written on them but that is rare. Often, when the title deed was changed to chanotte, the new owner can't transfer it for 10 years.

Power of attorneys of Nor Sor Sam, or Chanotte, or Sor Por Kor are different.

You can get some information on title deeds here:

http://www.thailawonline.com/en/property/title-deeds-in-thailand.html

But we haven't updated it for few years.

Sor Por Kor is the worst title deed to my opinion. In Thailand, many purchase it even if it is illegal. I have seen TONS of clients with Sor Por Kor, bought with their wives, girlfriend, in collateral of a loan, by the family and nobody can't do anything with it because it can NOT be transferred.

Do note that in Thailand, everything is possible. So even things that CAN'T be done, CAN be done.

• Like 1