German party urges new election for Thailand

webfact

German party urges new election for the Kingdom
Pravit Rojanaphruk
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thailand should resolve its political conflict by holding a new election, Germany's Social Democrat Parliamentary Group has said in a statement to the German parliament.

The group said it followed the "crisis in Thailand with great concern".

"It is our fundamental belief that political conflict needs to be resolved within the democratic constitutional order," it said.

"Therefore, we call upon the relevant authorities to organise new elections in line with Thailand's constitutional framework.

"As friends of the Thai people, we are profoundly saddened by the deaths and injuries over the past weeks. Violence is not an acceptable means of resolving political differences.

"We do not take sides in Thai politics. We believe in the power of dialogue to peacefully resolve differences. In the long run, social conflicts can only be resolved by social compromise between all sides."

The group also stressed that democracy was more than elections. It said rule of law and democratic values and processes were an integral part of democracy.

"However, there cannot be democracy without elections. We stand by the principle of 'one man, one vote'," the group said.

The statement was made online at the group's website (http://www.spdfraktion.de) on Thursday.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-15

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thais just don't get the idea that "candidates" should develop reform platforms and then run for election based on their platform. The people each one, are voting for that leader to deliver that platform for reform. That's how it works. Thais just don't seem to get this simple idea. Their thinking is not evolved, you can see by the news and the editorials and comments.

• Like 2

Another farang who don't understand Thai people.Thai people don't want or need any election. Election is a farang culture, not applicable or suitable for Thailand.Unlike farang, Thai people respect and listen to our elder.

What a load of waffle, don't you want to see progression?

It's satire!

As to the OP, once again, outsiders are trying to impose their own idealogical society processes on something as complicated as Thai politics.

Absolutely no idea and hence should keep their traps shut on a situation they have little comprehension of.

"One man one vote." - Sure that means something in the West, but to many Thai's that idea is almost as foreign as a McDonald's cheeseburger.

• Like 2

As to the OP, once again, outsiders are trying to impose their own idealogical society processes on something as complicated as Thai politics.

Absolutely no idea and hence should keep their traps shut on a situation they have little comprehension of.

"One man one vote." - Sure that means something in the West, but to many Thai's that idea is almost as foreign as a McDonald's cheeseburger.

What ARE you on about? Thailand is a democracy and democracy is a method, not something that can be attributed to ideology in any way, shape or form.

Rather than re-read after posting I have held off while having a spot of breakfast so as to consider what you have said. Oh right, you don't consider Thailand to be living under a Democracy and to that I fully agree, sorry.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Another farang who don't understand Thai people. Thai people don't want or need any election. Election is a farang culture, not applicable or suitable for Thailand. Unlike farang, Thai people respect and listen to our elder.

Ladies and Gentlemen may I introduce to you , the "JUNTA" a newly formed political party lead by the ever popular Thaskin Shinawatra, the Thai way to Democracy , bring it on brother.

Another farang who don't understand Thai people. Thai people don't want or need any election. Election is a farang culture, not applicable or suitable for Thailand. Unlike farang, Thai people respect and listen to our elder.

LOL nice attempt at stirring up the floating feces. Tell you what. Start listening to your mummy and stop playing on the internet posting nonsense. OK?

• Like 1

Germany, where wearing a clothing label is banned. Yes, the Germans have much to teach the world about freedom of speech and association.

It would be useful to add that this label is worn only by skinhead/neo-nazi groups. I don't think it's "banned" unless it would openly display swastikas or the face of old Adolf.

There are many silly laws in Germany but not more or less than in most average western countries. Most people would gladly trade in their domestic speed limits for a "ban" of neo-nazi lingerie.

Another farang who don't understand Thai people.Thai people don't want or need any election. Election is a farang culture, not applicable or suitable for Thailand.Unlike farang, Thai people respect and listen to our elder.

What a load of waffle, don't you want to see progression?

Yes, but I don't want to see regression which is what an election now would bring.

They claim to be following events closely - I absolutely disagree with this, we on Thai visa understand it more, well the yellow side only actually!!!

I believe that the majority of Thai people do want an election.

I am worried because I am hearing less people talking about about working together to find a solution and more talking about getting rid of the other side.

The people of Thailand are becoming more "information Savvy",

They will not stand by and allow the old guard to get rid of another elected government.

The majority of Thai people ... Do Not Care..... Don't you get it Dr Bruce... Have you even been up-country here... Majority of these peoples cannot read or write, they don't know and don't care... Have you ever asked a Thai person to point out where Thailand is on a world map..? Or where Bangkok is on a Thailand map..... Why do Farang men live here..? its sure not because the women have brains..! and we sure do not want to make friends with Thai men.. unless you swing that way..!! w00t.gif