Bar work BS

jimBaaaa

Was in work today telling a girl friend I'd just come back from a month in Thailand, she told me that she had been a few times herself, fair enough. But then she tells me she got a one way ticket to koh phangan with £500 to her name, with the intention of finding bar work, that she got a work permit before she had left England without a job lined up. She says she found a place called, why not bar that employed her, gave her a room above the bar and allowed her to work in the bar for four months, paying her 30,000 baht a month.

1. From my understanding, farangs CANNOT work in any bar or do any manual labour.

2. Can you or can you not get a work permit WITHOUT a job lined up?

3. How does she manage to stick around for 4 months WITHOUT the correct visa. She claimed she renewed her visa without leaving Thailand?

4. Were the police paid off for this to happen as she would be an asset to the bar for full moon tourists?

She seemed legit about her knowledge of Thailand but it seems like BS to me the whole story, or is this a normal occurrence on the islands for young farang girls to land bar work?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Define bar work-if she was an earner im sure palms could be greased. If she was a dishwasher then who knows what the deal was........................lol.

Another case where photo is needed.

Edited by choochoo

Define bar work-if she was an earner im sure palms could be greased. If she was a dishwasher then who knows what the deal was........................lol.

Another case where photo is needed.

She claims she worked behind the bar as a thai girl would, serving drinks, was given a free room above the bar and got a wage. I couldn't get my head around it, telling her it was impossible but she was adamant it she did it for four months! Baffled!

She might have done it but it was definately illegal.

She isn't even good looking, maybe she though I wouldn't know the rules and she could make any old BS up. Funny thing is she said, I quote her " I don't know where you heard that foreigners cannot work in Thailand".

When I see her in work again I'm going to interrogate her till I get the truth out of her, silly girl.

I know falang bar owners who work in their own bars serving drinks. Even that's illegal without the right visa. Even know 1 bar owner who teaches 2 days a week for 10k cash every month, illegal once again.

Have seen a falang guy standing out the front of a bar waving customers inside. He was doing paid work.

Truth is anythings possible in Thailand.

All nonsense, the best she or anyone could manage would be 90 days, 60 day visa plus 30 extension.

Under the recent changes, in theory she could get 30 on arrival, go get a 60 day tourist visa outside thailand then extend that by 30 days, that would cover the 4 months.

Work permit, no chance unless it was applied for under a different category, even then she would be illegally working behind the bar.

She may believe it to be true, as she may have been told by whoever gave the job that they took care of it, but in reality its just not possible, she's been conned probably or is extremely nieve.

"SHE" definitely didnt do any of that herself.

Generally people who are bragging speak elements of truth and embellish with other stories they have heard. She is big noting herself to you for some reason. Clearly there would be no work permit but I could believe she backpacked her way down there and bummed round perhaps picking up a bit of illegal bar work through some farang connection, sharing a real cheap room or whatever, then over the months and or years it becomes a legend in her own mind

• Like 2

Ask one of the ladies of the former soviet republic working in bars on Walking street. One told me she got a work permit as an entertainer if I remember correctly.

Go back and ask her if the work permit was issued before she left her mother country.

• Like 1

She is talking about the work permit being issued before she left the UK, and even more getting one without a job

Two feasible, but highly unlikely options.

- Girl was an Australian passport holder, in which case, a working holiday visa for Thailand could be granted

- She came on a non-imm, confused it for a WP, but then was issued one here with a highly creative non-restricted work title. A bit like the lawyers, engineers and architects do...

Maybe she was employed as the 'manager'

totster smile.png

One of my ex-colleagues was a restaurant/bar manager. Earned a lot more than 30k

I'm not saying she was the manager, but that's how the work permit was obtained.

totster :)

• Like 1

Ask one of the ladies of the former soviet republic working in bars on Walking street. One told me she got a work permit as an entertainer if I remember correctly.

Go back and ask her if the work permit was issued before she left her mother country.

nest time ask her if it was worth it..............lol. dont see many customers going into that bar.

totster smile.png

One of my ex-colleagues was a restaurant/bar manager. Earned a lot more than 30k

I'm not saying she was the manager, but that's how the work permit was obtained.

totster smile.png

Ah, you can read Thai?

totster smile.png

totster smile.png

Ah, you can read Thai?

Strange question, not sure why it's relevant.. but I can with a bit of effort, although my vocabulary and understanding of tone rules lets me down.

totster :)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

She might have done it but it was definately illegal.

She isn't even good looking, maybe she though I wouldn't know the rules and she could make any old BS up. Funny thing is she said, I quote her " I don't know where you heard that foreigners cannot work in Thailand".

When I see her in work again I'm going to interrogate her till I get the truth out of her, silly girl.

pics of interrogation please...